Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stoneySIOUX

UND vs. Duluth -- Saturday Gameday

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, DAR said:

hard to improve in the pairwise vs CC and Omaha

Good probability to move further down though when they don't sweep both.
At this point, it's win 1st round & win NCHC tourney or go hit the golf course.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I really hate about the last two years is the media spouting off about stats that don’t matter, wins are what will move the needle. Don’t care how good #22 is in the face off dot he doesn’t score, can’t assist scoring and has taken stupid penalties his whole career. We outshoot teams  2-1 but still lose. The last two years we have been last in the league in scoring  and almost last in PP %.

Berry commenting last night his team need wasn’t ready to go and a senior capt. Putting you down two men twice and giving up two goals. This is 100% on Berry, it’s ok fellas no matter what we do coach lets us play, this is not parkboard hockey where everyone gets to play. No discipline, no consistent intensity and terrible effort at times. Run three lines if guys don’t want to hustle, Senden could double shift on my team. Berry hasn’t shown anything the last two years and doubt he will change his attitude for next year, while the culture crumbled around him.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

What I really hate about the last two years is the media spouting off about stats that don’t matter, wins are what will move the needle. Don’t care how good #22 is in the face off dot he doesn’t score, can’t assist scoring and has taken stupid penalties his whole career. We outshoot teams  2-1 but still lose. The last two years we have been last in the league in scoring  and almost last in PP %.

Berry commenting last night his team need wasn’t ready to go and a senior capt. Putting you down two men twice and giving up two goals. This is 100% on Berry, it’s ok fellas no matter what we do coach lets us play, this is not parkboard hockey where everyone gets to play. No discipline, no consistent intensity and terrible effort at times. Run three lines if guys don’t want to hustle, Senden could double shift on my team. Berry hasn’t shown anything the last two years and doubt he will change his attitude for next year, while the culture crumbled around him.

I don't think we can be that simplistic.   This team has played above its talent level on many occasions.   Those who would deny that will have to explain how this team has as much offensive  talent as SCSU, UMD, Denver, or even WMU.   Last night it was obvious which color most of the truly high end offensive talent was wearing.  The boys were well coached from a game plan perspective, partly because we are able to count on an extremely good defensive unit.  They weren't ready at the drop of the puck, and that is on the coaches. 

I think undisciplined physical play has  been  an  issue for UND for quite some time, at least since the rules (or their enforcement) began  to change.  This is not our fathers' college hockey.  Speed, high end stick skills, passing, and shooting may not be sufficient in themselves, but they are necessary, and you can't make up for their absence with physical play anymore.    Like it or not, two-handed checks with the stick are old school idiocy and likely to put you in the box. 

You are right that it doesn't appear Berry has been able to establish a culture that is as good as Hak was able to do.  As far as program coaching, Hak is among the best UND has had.  He just couldn't (or didn't) game-coach the big one.  But I think we all need to see what Berry and his staff do with the offensive talent that is coming in the next couple of years together with a freshman class that has big potential.  If things don't change in the next year or two, then they have to consider a coaching change. 

edit:  One thing it was nice to see was the fire and enthusiasm from some of the freshmen.   I may not remember this accurately, but when the year started, I recall thinking they didn't celebrate much when someone scored.   Get some fire in their bellies and joy in their hearts when things go well. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How can any hockey player with UND NOT br ready to go?

makes no sense unless you don’t give a !@#$ , looking to move on or were out late the night before

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think half the time these players could give two shits, what repercussions are there? Not like Berry will bench anybody. Lots of .players should be looking at doing something different next year. If Berry can’t see it’s not working maybe he needs to get out of coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nobody can be disappointed with this team splitting with Duluth.  Not this year.  I continue to believe that coaching is all that stood between our current position and a last place finish in the NCHC.  

The forward skill level is just not there, and  is even worse without Mishmash and Jones...but who are we kidding, on a typical UND team, Even those guys wouldn't be expected to consistently put the puck in the net. They'd carry heavy minutes on the third line, maybe the second.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AJS said:

Question, is a line of Johnson / Yon / Anyone the worst line in college hockey? (D3 included)

Yes a line of Jones/JJ/Mismash would be better, but....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big question is if #22 is a great defensive forward why is he top six? He should center a heavy line to shut down the others teams top line, Adams and Kawaguchi should be on a line with a player of similar speed and someone who creates offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

My big question is if #22 is a great defensive forward why is he top six? He should center a heavy line to shut down the others teams top line, Adams and Kawaguchi should be on a line with a player of similar speed and someone who creates offense. 

I agree with you, but what center on the current roster from this last weekend would you have put them with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Bowen, st least he has the speed to keep up with those two, or maybe Hoff , but at least think about the lines. We can’t win every game 1-0 or 2-1 they need to score 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, crb1 said:

Trying to be a realist here but it is looking very unlikely that UND is going to make the tournament. 

I don’t think you have to “try” to be a realist in thinking North Dakota will be watching this year’s NCAA tournament...

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the gaps in the lineup, Honestly, at this point, I'd put Kawaguchi with Senden and Hain...figure out who plays pivot.  Thats our top line.  Most years that would be our 2nd/third line.

Gardner, Weatherby and Smith are my heavy line that sees real minutes.

i guess Hoff, Adams and Bowen are scoring line 2.

4th line...Brayden, Upton, and Dunlop...might as well be...

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe Berry is very high on D responsibility and this maybe the system is designed around it. The D men are very solid but the forwards struggle and seem handicapped with this system. Maybe Wilkie was a little weak defensively but we could have used his offense this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Because of the gaps in the lineup, Honestly, at this point, I'd put Kawaguchi with Senden and Hain...figure out who plays pivot.  Thats our top line.  Most years that would be our 2nd/third line.

Gardner, Weatherby and Smith are my heavy line that sees real minutes.

i guess Hoff, Adams and Bowen are scoring line 2.

4th line...Brayden, Upton, and Dunlop...might as well be...

 

 

I like, but I'd make one change.

Gooch-Senden-Hain

Adams-Hoff-Weatherby

Bowen-Rhett-Smith

Yon-Keane-Johnson

No real center for fourth line, but double shift a center with those guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

nobody can be disappointed with this team splitting with Duluth.  Not this year.  I continue to believe that coaching is all that stood between our current position and a last place finish in the NCHC.  

The forward skill level is just not there, and  is even worse without Mishmash and Jones...but who are we kidding, on a typical UND team, Even those guys wouldn't be expected to consistently put the puck in the net. They'd carry heavy minutes on the third line, maybe the second.

Yzerman speaks truth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

nobody can be disappointed with this team splitting with Duluth.  Not this year.  I continue to believe that coaching is all that stood between our current position and a last place finish in the NCHC.  

The forward skill level is just not there, and  is even worse without Mishmash and Jones...but who are we kidding, on a typical UND team, Even those guys wouldn't be expected to consistently put the puck in the net. They'd carry heavy minutes on the third line, maybe the second.

So should we be happy Berry coached them up to overachieve or upset with the total lack of talent he has brought in?  I have to say that for us to be very pleased with splits with St. Clown and Duluth because we played over our heads is deeply concerning to me. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splits with the top NCHC teams are fine as long as you finish in the top half.

The problem is this team is going to sweep only one conference mate all year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Irish said:

So should we be happy Berry coached them up to overachieve or upset with the total lack of talent he has brought in?  I have to say that for us to be very pleased with splits with St. Clown and Duluth because we played over our heads is deeply concerning to me. 

And HOME splits, at that!  My oh my have expectations changed in Grand Forks.  But, hey, at least we hung tough on the road with Bemidji State and Canisius College this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I AM disappointed with the recruiting that has led to this state.  Honestly though, who would've thought that Hoff, JJ, and Adams would all turn out to be underachievers.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I AM disappointed with the recruiting that has led to this state.  Honestly though, who would've thought that Hoff, JJ, and Adams would all turn out to be underachievers.  

 

 

JJ and Hoff have definitely not met expectations.  Adams is getting better and hopefully with another year of getting stronger can breakout.  Like the Freshmen group of Senden, Weatherby, Hain, Keane, JBD, JT and Scheel.  Hoping that Mismash and Scheel aren't out into next season.  Definitely hopeful that next years incoming class is better than what is leaving.  From a scoring standpoint, can't be much worse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just  a quick thought / question...   the junior class has been hammered for being unspectacular, is it possible that the entire age group was underperforming?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Just  a quick thought / question...   the junior class has been hammered for being unspectacular, is it possible that the entire age group was underperforming?

By my quick count there are 12 Juniors in the top 50 scorers in the nation and 24 in the top 100 - none of them ours.  I don't see a Sioux in the top 100 from any class.  None.  This is unbelievable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...