SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Western Michigan -- Friday

stoneySIOUX

So how was the crowd at Lawson tonight?  I didn't see much of the first two periods but when I tuned in during the 3rd there looked to be plenty of open seats.  UND pretty much had control of the game by then so it seemed like a pretty tame atmosphere.  According to the Heraldo, they filled approximately 3200 of the 3700 seats.

59 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

We got a lot luckier when we shot to where we were aiming. There were a couple of highlight reels tonight . 

Scheel noted this in the post game with the CBS guys. Basically said he felt the guys were picking spots all week in practice and that showed again in warm ups. Three great shots (Senden, Guchi and JBD) were three of our goals tonight. Man, I hope this is the start of something.

4 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Really solid start and nice to see guys take advantage of opportunities. Scheel came up with some very timely saves and was solid throughout. Thought Western Michigan definitely got frustrated with the way UND was able to take away the stretch pass and make things real tough in the neutral zone. Find a way to get the job done again tomorrow.

We were so, so good through neutral for huge stretches of this game. WMU couldn't break out.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Scheel noted this in the post game with the CBS guys. Basically said he felt the guys were picking spots all week in practice and that showed again in warm ups. Three great shots (Senden, Guchi and JBD) were three of our goals tonight. Man, I hope this is the start of something.

Was very nice to see some finally go in.  But Western can play and Murray can coach, so it will probably be a closer game tonight.

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Let's face it, we know this team can beat anybody, but right now we need to put a string of wins together,  because losses will push you right back down in the pairwise.  We also need to hope Denver and Duluth don't tie giving both teams points. Definitely would be huge to take care of business tomorrow and see where that puts us

Agreed.  I wasn’t overly impressed with how we played the second half of the game.  We came out with a flurry and laid back a bit.  Caught some breaks and Scheel played strong again.  Boys need to be buzzing tonight.

• Upvote 1

Senden will wear a C.......for 2 years. As much as scpa thinks Keane should be playing at the U of Mary he has the "it" factor on the ice that not many of more skilled UND players do. 

......and Scheel!

Tonight will probably be a one goal game. Hopefully UND is on the right side of it.

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

They won a game on CBS sports! Things are starting to happen.

I was starting to wonder if UND would EVER win on national TV again.  Is this the start of a winning streak, or just another game where they prove they can beat anyone, but then fail to back it up? 

With all of the bad losses this year, the "margin of error" is about zero at this point.  So, be the team that wants it worse!  Show us something, boys.

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Hat trick and an assist in a 6-0 league playoff semi-final win on Wednesday night...

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

We’re called “Red Army” for a reason.  I’m MIKHAILOV.

In Soviet Russia you don't get chances, chances get you. 

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Senden will wear a C.......for 2 years. As much as scpa thinks Keane should be playing at the U of Mary he has the "it" factor on the ice that not many of more skilled UND players do. 

......and Scheel!

Tonight will probably be a one goal game. Hopefully UND is on the right side of it.

Haha...ok

werent you the one bashing wolanin for two years and praising Bowen as “the next one”. Haha

22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Haha...ok

werent you the one bashing wolanin for two years and praising Bowen as “the next one”. Haha

You're not a fan of Keane. I always thought Wolanin was overrated. Not sure on "the next one" you claim on Bowen. I like him as he tends to give great effort when inserted in the lineup. Everyone sees players and what they bring differently....you, me and Berry included. 

But not that our opinion matters!

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Scheel the NCHC ROY? 

Simple question....

Should definitely be in the conversation.  They tend to give the top league teams more due in awards, so maybe Nolan Walker from St. Cloud or if Denver finishes out well, Cole Guttman. (Wouldn’t that be the double whammy for St. Cloud fans.)

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You're not a fan of Keane. I always thought Wolanin was overrated. Not sure on "the next one" you claim on Bowen. I like him as he tends to give great effort when inserted in the lineup. Everyone sees players and what they bring differently....you, me and Berry included. 

But not that our opinion matters!

I have no problem whatsoever with Keane.  I was more shocked he was on the second, that’s all.  Wolanon overrated...he carried the team.

29 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I have no problem whatsoever with Keane.  I was more shocked he was on the second, that’s all.  Wolanon overrated...he carried the team.

I believe you have mentioned previously you don't even think Keane should be on a D1 roster.

As far as Wolanin he carried the team to what? Their first missed NCAA in many years. 

Again most of us here see players differently and our takes or opinions don't matter in the big picture.

28 minutes ago, tnt said:

Should definitely be in the conversation.  They tend to give the top league teams more due in awards, so maybe Nolan Walker from St. Cloud or if Denver finishes out well, Cole Guttman. (Wouldn’t that be the double whammy for St. Cloud fans.)

I think he has a very good chance, he will be competing with Filip Larsson. Larsson is (8-3-2, 2.40 GAA and a .919 save percentage).

Scheel is (13-9-2, 1.98 GAA and a .913 save percentage).  

6 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed.  I wasn’t overly impressed with how we played the second half of the game.  We came out with a flurry and laid back a bit.  Caught some breaks and Scheel played strong again.  Boys need to be buzzing tonight.

I think that getting into penalty trouble didn't help them at all.