SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (9-14, 3-7) vs NDSU (11-12, 5-4) 2/6 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

33 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

Went to the game last night. First game this year and usually follow the team and attend at least 5 or so a year. JONES is the reason I don't really go anymore. Don't understand how he is still the head coach??? 

UND.AD@und.edu

Chaves needs to hear from UND's disappointed/upset BB fans!!  Both men and women!

• Upvote 2

Basketball is one major sport where even mid-majors like UND can success on a consistent basis with a large fan following. UND will never be a Duke or Kentucky, but we could sure try to be top mid-major program every year and one who can pull of the occasional upset. Right now, UND basketball is just a doormat and uninspiring. There is little to do in Grand Forks on a winter weeknight. Time to make UND basketball the premier weeknight activity. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, northernraider said:

Basketball is one major sport where even mid-majors like UND can success on a consistent basis with a large fan following. UND will never be a Duke or Kentucky, but we could sure try to be top mid-major program every year and one who can pull of the occasional upset. Right now, UND basketball is just a doormat and uninspiring. There is little to do in Grand Forks on a winter weeknight. Time to make UND basketball the premier weeknight activity. 

Coaches win games and administrations win championships..

For example, SDSU, bordline(very borderline) one of the top mid major programs in the country ...  they charter fly 3 to 4 trips a year and they gave us $80,000 guarantee last year to play at SDSU!! 80,000!! Our Men’s hoops gives about 15,000 or less, total, for all their home guarantees!  Not paying for many winnable home games with that budget!  

Facilities example...how about a practice facility?  SDSU, NDSU, USD all have brand new practice facilities..thats a big deal ...Kids now a days want bells and whistles!

The fact of the matter is we don’t have the budget or the facilities to be one of the the top mid major programs and thats the truth.  Blame jones all you want, but you’ll be blaming the next guy too when you see his success rate is the same because of the lack of those two key ingredients.

7 minutes ago, RogerRoger12 said:

Coaches win games and administrations win championships..

For example, SDSU, bordline(very borderline) one of the top mid major programs in the country ...  they charter fly 3 to 4 trips a year and they gave us $80,000 guarantee last year to play at SDSU!! 80,000!! Our Men’s hoops gives about 15,000 or less, total, for all their home guarantees!  Not paying for many winnable home games with that budget!  

Facilities example...how about a practice facility?  SDSU, NDSU, USD all have brand new practice facilities..thats a big deal ...Kids now a days want bells and whistles!

The fact of the matter is we don’t have the budget or the facilities to be one of the the top mid major programs and thats the truth.  Blame jones all you want, but you’ll be blaming the next guy too when you see his success rate is the same because of the lack of those two key ingredients.

After 13 years I would love to have the chance to blame somebody else.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, UND1983 said:

After 13 years I would love to have the chance to blame somebody else.

7 top 5 conference finishes.. 3 championships.. NCAA D1 tournament birth(which a lot of schools have never done).. all in 13 years ...going from D2 to Great West to Big Sky now to Summit League .. I don’t know what you do, but I hope in your job the expectations rise and the resources to get the job done stay the same .. cause that’s what’s happened here .. Jones isn’t great, but he isn’t awful either.. he has weathered some storms! 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RogerRoger12 said:

7 top 5 conference finishes.. 3 championships.. NCAA D1 tournament birth(which a lot of schools have never done).. all in 13 years ...going from D2 to Great West to Big Sky now to Summit League .. I don’t know what you do, but I hope in your job the expectations rise and the resources to get the job done stay the same .. cause that’s what’s happened here .. Jones isn’t great, but he isn’t awful either.. he has weathered some storms! 

Lol.  Exhilarating, as the fanbase has shown

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RogerRoger12 said:

He also has an overall losing record, a very very poor non-conference record. No signature wins, no tournament wins, multiple under .500 seasons. I think these are what are frustrating fans. If Berry, had this part of a resume he would be gone in a flash and not hang around for almost a decade in a half.

• Upvote 1

Look at some schools similar to UND

USD has never been to the Big Dance, unless one counts women

UNH has never been to the Dance after more than 40 years of trying

Maine has never gone dancing either after more than 40years

Delaware has been to the dance 5 times but only one this century.

NDSU has only gone as they advantage of an underserved DI area back when they moved up.

SDSU only gets to the Dance because they play in a weak conference conference and have an effective home court tournament

Montana State has been to the dance three times since 1951 and not since 1996.

Its tough for small state schools to make a name for themselves.

Rhode Island, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Vermont are the few small state schools that have some respect according to history in the DI world.  SDSU may be getting there.

Think Jones is probably about the best we can do long term as a coach.  Great coaches would move on fast.

Glas was not a great coach although he had assistants that have proven mettle.  But Glas was a great ambassador for UND and he was great for PR and getting crowds and that part is missed.  Jones doesn’t seem to wanna be here, but would rather coach Drake or someplace in Iowa.

On 2/8/2019 at 9:37 PM, SiouxVolley said:

Look at some schools similar to UND

USD has never been to the Big Dance, unless one counts women

UNH has never been to the Dance after more than 40 years of trying

Maine has never gone dancing either after more than 40years

Delaware has been to the dance 5 times but only one this century.

NDSU has only gone as they advantage of an underserved DI area back when they moved up.

SDSU only gets to the Dance because they play in a weak conference conference and have an effective home court tournament

Montana State has been to the dance three times since 1951 and not since 1996.

Its tough for small state schools to make a name for themselves.

Rhode Island, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana and Vermont are the few small state schools that have some respect according to history in the DI world.  SDSU may be getting there.

Think Jones is probably about the best we can do long term as a coach.  Great coaches would move on fast.

Glas was not a great coach although he had assistants that have proven mettle.  But Glas was a great ambassador for UND and he was great for PR and getting crowds and that part is missed.  Jones doesn’t seem to wanna be here, but would rather coach Drake or someplace in Iowa.

You’re kidding, right? “SDSU only gets to the dance because they play in a weak conference ...”

UND is in that conference and they are losing to SDSU by 25 points! They have been swept by NDSU. 

So your metric is outstanding seasons over consistency? UND has made the dance once under Jones but overall has a losing record. Nearly all administrators and operators take consistency over unpredictable ups and downs; I know what I want. Jones needs to go. 

I do agree that Jones doesn't want to be here. Since you brought it up, he is a horrible ambassador for UND.

• Like 1