SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

17 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I'd hypothesize that the staff is well aware of the lack of forward speed and offensive punch.  One contrarian viewpoint is that maybe this is the best system given the composition of the team...yes it sucks losing 2-1, but imagine if it was 6-2, 7-3 regularly?  

Consider this...maybe we are overachieving Based on the composition of this year's team?

This may very well be true - in which case it scares the crap out of me that this is the team we have fielded 3 years after a championship. 

41 minutes ago, AJS said:

Great post @yzerman19.

Ultimately, it falls on the coaching staff to bring in the right players for this system to work, but I agree that their current system can be effective. 

My overall statement with the coaching staff would be, a college hockey coach at UND is a results driven profession. It's wins and losses, not about morale victories or excuses. No, I don't think that missing the NCAA tournament two years in a row (if that happens) is acceptable. I am frustrated and definitely get the frustration. Where I'll end of disagreeing with a lot of you, is I don't think this team is far off from being a really good team. I get why some are skeptical, but it would only take a slight uptick in offense to really turn their record around. 

I agree as well.  You don’t hang with all these good teams if our team is full of scrubs.  They have to get more creative in the ozone.  Sacrifice some shots for some more creativity.  Overpassing can be a problem for some skilled teams....not this one though. Also, they have serious confidence issues.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I'd hypothesize that the staff is well aware of the lack of forward speed and offensive punch.  One contrarian viewpoint is that maybe this is the best system given the composition of the team...yes it sucks losing 2-1, but imagine if it was 6-2, 7-3 regularly?  

Consider this...maybe we are overachieving Based on the composition of this year's team?

I agree with most of what you post.  But I truly think it’s a system problem.  On most nights we have more talent than the other team.  I mean we have really skilled guys who aren’t doing anything. Obviously we do have a few guys who will never be offensively productive but in the other end, we have some guys who should be a lot better.

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/02/04/und-ties-du-21-g1w1/?fbclid=IwAR3GMR0iCK48w_Kkz-5-GaNJXpLACQikIHqy6E2BbnFFUhR_cs4DJhAQYYY

I agree that the goal should have been allowed, which would have given us a W, but even still it's been the same story most of the year. Lots of shots, we "outplay" the opponent and lose. Our shooting percentage is garbage. Whether it's bad recruiting or coaching, it's on Berry to fix it fast. 

18 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

https://thesportsdaily.com/2019/02/04/und-ties-du-21-g1w1/?fbclid=IwAR3GMR0iCK48w_Kkz-5-GaNJXpLACQikIHqy6E2BbnFFUhR_cs4DJhAQYYY

I agree that the goal should have been allowed, which would have given us a W, but even still it's been the same story most of the year. Lots of shots, we "outplay" the opponent and lose. Our shooting percentage is garbage. Whether it's bad recruiting or coaching, it's on Berry to fix it fast. 

Lack of creativity is certainly a part of this, but good God we miss SO many dang nets and hit the crest on shots. Ugh.

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

i was pleased to see while I was away that my Sunday morning mimosas remained in the community lexicon!

I did modify it a bit by just giving fruit juice if they got a split.  So with them getting a single point out of the weekend, each player received an orange slice.  We don't want them to think that they are going to quench a thirst by not winning.  You will have to let us know is this is acceptable?

51 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

I did modify it a bit by just giving fruit juice if they got a split.  So with them getting a single point out of the weekend, each player received an orange slice.  We don't want them to think that they are going to quench a thirst by not winning.  You will have to let us know is this is acceptable?

I think that's acceptable- just imagine how ornery Zack Jones would've been had he played on a team with this few mimosa treatments

1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

I think that's acceptable- just imagine how ornery Zack Jones would've been had he played on a team with this few mimosa treatments

What a great defenseman Zach Jones was.   Not a lot of flash, but just a rock inside the zone.

The prototype D-man has changed so much from even 15 years ago.  In B' ball, it's the guy 6"6" who can run the floor and go to the basket.  In F'ball it's the guy who's linebacker size who can rush the passer and cover.  In hockey, it's the D man with speed  who can move the puck.  Size helps, but not the focus it once was, with the reduction of hitting in the game.  Our D corps now is really good, but it doesn't look like the D corps of 15 years ago.

Now, Sic or MM, you guys can come along, cite some numbers, and show just how clueless burd is.   But I'm standing with this angle no matter what. 

All I know is when things started getting scruffy late Saturday against St. Cloud I couldn't find the big peacemaker* defenseman in green to step in. 

No Finley, no Blood, no Commodore, no ... 

The closest we have right now is Peski. And the closest we have to a Prpich is ma-a-a-ybe Cole Smith. 

*Or should that be spelled 'piece maker'. 

31 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

All I know is when things started getting scruffy late Saturday against St. Cloud I couldn't find the big peacemaker* defenseman in green to step in. 

No Finley, no Blood, no Commodore, no ... 

The closest we have right now is Peski. And the closest we have to a Prpich is ma-a-a-ybe Cole Smith. 

*Or should that be spelled 'piece maker'. 

No Lammy, Pattyn, Kaip...

Forgive the "back in the day" moment, but Lammy, Pattyn, Kaip wouldn't stand a chance in a Jim Archibald, Chris Jensen, Scott Dub (RIP) world. Different time; different styles.

But just the same, I still believe you need one or two "come to Jesus" players on your bench. Except today they also have to move a puck (see: Ryan Reeves, Tom Wilson, Wayne Simmonds). Today, at forward, you have to have 12 offensive contributors who can also do other things (pester, "come to Jesus", PK). 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Forgive the "back in the day" moment, but Lammy, Pattyn, Kaip wouldn't stand a chance in a Jim Archibald, Chris Jensen, Scott Dub (RIP) world. Different time; different styles.

But just the same, I still believe you need one or two "come to Jesus" players on your bench. Except today they also have to move a puck (see: Ryan Reeves). Today, at forward, you have to have 12 offensive contributors who can also do other things (pester, "come to Jesus", PK). 

Dean Daschyn, Dan Brennan,Cary Eades...

4 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

But that was such a BS reversal/call on the replay.  Look at Denver's reaction, none of the players including the goalie even, protested the goal it appears.   

59 minutes ago, burd said:

What a great defenseman Zach Jones was.   Not a lot of flash, but just a rock inside the zone.

The prototype D-man has changed so much from even 15 years ago.  In B' ball, it's the guy 6"6" who can run the floor and go to the basket.  In F'ball it's the guy who's linebacker size who can rush the passer and cover.  In hockey, it's the D man with speed  who can move the puck.  Size helps, but not the focus it once was, with the reduction of hitting in the game.  Our D corps now is really good, but it doesn't look like the D corps of 15 years ago.

Now, Sic or MM, you guys can come along, cite some numbers, and show just how clueless burd is.   But I'm standing with this angle no matter what. 

All pro sports it's about speed now...if you add size to the equation, skies the limit