SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

How about the unwillingness of REA to display OLD logos — i.e., the era-appropriate logos on the championship banners.  Obviously, the folks there prefer to pretend that the ONLY logo that has existed in program history is the Brien version.

Has this been brought up to REA with respect to banners?  I know REA added a bunch of old logos during the locker room renovation but would be cool to have the logos that existed at the time they won the banners.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

And keeping the sioux thing on the bottom. Cut the damn chord already.

That's what the rendering shows. 

I wonder what the Settlement Agreement actually says about that should the scoreboard see total replacement. 

2 minutes ago, ChrisUND1 said:

To your point:  "Fighting Sioux" is not the nickname anymore.  It never will be the name again.

I gotcha.  I was referring to go_sioux's reliance on "tradition" as the reason the football team never had to embrace the Fighting Sioux logo while simultaneously chastising REA for maintaining "tradition" as the reason it's not embracing the Fighting Hawk logo or, as he put it, refusing to cut the "cord".*

* - thanks, Mafia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Sioux logo on the bottom might likely just there to help give a perspective on the size of the new one vs old.

As it is appears to be blocking the inside screen for the bench to see.

I was wrong.

The Ralph Engelstad Arena just confirmed they are indeed keeping the Fighting Sioux Logo on the bottom of the scoreboard.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big Green said:

At the time UND was using 2 logos.  Interlocking ND was 2 of the two.  

10 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

I gotcha.  I was referring to go_sioux's reliance on "tradition" as the reason the football team never had to embrace the Fighting Sioux logo while simultaneously chastising REA for maintaining "tradition" as the reason it's not embracing the Fighting Hawk logo or, as he put it, refusing to cut the "cord".*

* - thanks, Mafia.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So they are moving the existing video boards to the north and south ends. 

Why not move one to each end and take the other two into the Betty (or the Olympic)? 

They most likely will be used to show stats and ads.  That's exactly what the Pepsi Center did when they updated their center board.

You wouldn't want to see these next to the ones in the Betty as the quality would be significantly less on the old ones. 

Also, it's not as simple as setting up some giant big screen TVs if you were putting them in the Olympic. You need to move a good amount of equipment, run new wiring and then program the Daktronics Venus computer to run all of the ads or videos that have to be precreated created and loaded. Which is basically more work than they're worth. 

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I doubt the REA can claim a piece of the scoreboard with the logo on it has "historical significance."  Banners yes.  probably not scoreboards.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it may be worth noting that the scoreboard has existed as long as the banners, which have historically inaccurate logos on them.

More importantly, the settlement agreement terms contemplated the actions REA would have to follow in order for UND to host a post-season NCAA event there.  Since the NCAA tournament is no longer hosted on campus sites (at least as of now), it makes no difference if the scoreboard is an item of historical significance, an item replaced in the ordinary course of wear, or an item not specifically addressed in the settlement agreement.

• Upvote 1

Asking for a friend - so do opulant upgrades like this reduce the amount of money that the Foundation has to donate to UND for other things - like education. Is this an obvious move by KEM to demonstrate that she has money to donate but UND isn't going to get any of it until they bow to her whim? 

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Asking for a friend - so do opulant upgrades like this reduce the amount of money that the Foundation has to donate to UND for other things - like education. Is this an obvious move by KEM to demonstrate that she has money to donate but UND isn't going to get any of it until they bow to her whim? 

The latter was what I thought as well.  Using soft power to make Kennedy look bad. Not that he needs any help.

9 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

The family foundation doesn't need to give $$ to UND for anything.  As far as how the REA foundation spends UND's money, I've never gotten the impression they really care about anything outside of the arena.

7 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

PM me your friend's contact info, and I'll let him/her know . . . .

I thought womens hockey lost $2.9 million a year (feel free to correct me if i am misremembering) so 2 years without having to pay for womens hockey gives the university $6 million to spend elsewhere

In all honesty, this money is coming from the engelstead foundation and REA repair budget, which is a separate pool of money than the $6 million that und would directly pay for 2 years of womens hockey

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

I thought womens hockey lost $2.9 million a year (feel free to correct me if i am misremembering) so 2 years without having to pay for womens hockey gives the university $6 million to spend elsewhere

In all honesty, this money is coming from the engelstead foundation and REA repair budget, which is a separate pool of money than the $6 million that und would directly pay for 2 years of womens hockey

I think it was a shade over $2M lost each year. Regardless, that's a lot of money down the drain each season.

The money for the scoreboard is not coming from UND's athletic budget. but for comparison:

• The cost of the scoreboard is the equivalent of the cost of 2-3 years of WIH expenses at UND.
  • The ad revenue generated by the scoreboard will be more than than WIH did through ticket sales and other revenue sources.

Obviously takes the student-athlete opportunities out of play but just puts things into perspective for the people complaining.

• Upvote 1