SiouxSports.com Forum

Scoreboard change

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Id rather keep the old one if this new one gonna have us look at ads.

Because making money to support the program and arena is so terrible.  I mean for gosh-sakes, it's hard enough watching with all those ads on the boards, the ice, the incessant chatter from Darin Looker about all of the other businesses that support UND hockey, etc. 

Back to reality...the old one didn't have any permanently displayed ads, but displayed other ads throughout the course of the night...which means they have to stop showing game content to show ads.  With the new system, they'll be able to display ads without interrupting relevant game content on the primary screens...if they so choose.

2 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Because making money to support the program and arena is so terrible.  I mean for gosh-sakes, it's hard enough watching with all those ads on the boards, the ice, the incessant chatter from Darin Looker about all of the other businesses that support UND hockey, etc. 

Back to reality...the old one didn't have any permanently displayed ads, but displayed other ads throughout the course of the night...which means they have to stop showing game content to show ads.  With the new system, they'll be able to display ads without interrupting relevant game content on the primary screens...if they so choose.

Or they will do both.

4 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

The above post was brought to you by Gerrells Sports Center.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

I really like this idea, but it's not my bank account.  I didn't see in the article if this capability was going to be there.  

Really?  I was told that the new scoreboard was going to have a big SHAWN-O at the top of it.  Wouldn't that imply some sort of contribution on your part?  

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Or they will do both.

Very possible...hence why I said "if they so choose".  The point is, ads are nothing new to hockey.  Money generates reinvestment opportunities to continue growing.  Having the Ralph is like a middle or lower-class person winning a Ferrari.  Just because you have a Ferrari doesn't mean you can afford to own it or drive it.  The Ralph (like the Ferrari) has much higher operating costs than your average hockey arena would.  UND (rightly or wrongly) treats their players as good or better than just about any other program in the country...from equipment to travel to you name it.  

Or, for all we know, they won't use the display space where you see Coca-Cola for ads at all.  In the end it's just a render of another upgrade to keep REA first-class thanks to the support of the Engelstads and the fans that support the team and arena by going to games and events.

• Upvote 1

1. Not enough Hawks logos;

2. Exploits our consumerist tendencies;

3. Too big (because we all come to watch the fans in the 300 level, of course);

4. No more 2003-era laser light show; and

5. No on-ice projection (apparently).

Okay, what else can we point out that sucks about the scoreboard in the first 5 hours after the news release?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

Okay, what else can we point out that sucks about the scoreboard in the first 5 hours after the news release?

6.  The "Shots on Goal" size isn't big enough.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

And we wonder why the team/coaches comment about us hahahaha.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not excusing the REA's general resistance to the new logo, but this has been in the works for a couple years, so it's possible the rendering was done prior to the adoption of the new logo.

Yeah, cause renderings like these can often take two years to make and are nearly impossible to update! :wink::D

2 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

No kidding.  What fan base immediately gets outraged when their (supposed)  favorite athletic team gets a $6,000,000.00 scoreboard?

Is anyone REALLY outraged though?  Having an opinion does not equal outrage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

How about the unwillingness of REA to display OLD logos — i.e., the era-appropriate logos on the championship banners.  Obviously, the folks there prefer to pretend that the ONLY logo that has existed in program history is the Brien version.

This has always bothered me

2 hours ago, tnt said:

The obsession isn't one sided.  Don't ever recall people complaining that the football team never used the old logo on their helmets. 

It wouldn’t work well on a football helmet. Too small. Plus football had already established an interlocking ND on the helmet as tradition.

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It wouldn’t work well on a football helmet. Too small. Plus football had already established an interlocking ND on the helmet as tradition.

3 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

This is either top-notch trolling or ignorant hypocrisy.

To your point:  "Fighting Sioux" is not the nickname anymore.  It never will be the name again.