Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
southpaw

Pairwise 2018-19

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm showing we need to win about 6 of the final 8 to be inside the bubble. Then of course you have the NCHC playoffs. I'd think winning 6 of 8 and then winning the 1st round would get us in. It's a big ask but not impossible with the teams we have left to play. Split vs WMU and UMD, sweep CC and UNO. 

22 wins and we’re in, 21 and I’ll take my chances. That’s always been the number for teams from the top conferences. 6-2 over the regular season, win the first round, and we’re at 21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I'm showing we need to win about 6 of the final 8 to be inside the bubble. Then of course you have the NCHC playoffs. I'd think winning 6 of 8 and then winning the 1st round would get us in. It's a big ask but not impossible with the teams we have left to play. Split vs WMU and UMD, sweep CC and UNO. 

Which 6 does your effort show we need to win.  A W against CC has less value than a W against UMD.  Does a W against UNO have any value at all?  (outside conference ranking)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, burd said:

Which 6 does your effort show we need to win.  A W against CC has less value than a W against UMD.  Does a W against UNO have any value at all?  (outside conference ranking)

Win the ones I said and I show us at 14th in PWR, assuming many other results obviously.  A win vs UNO doesn't have much value except that it's not a loss. Going 5-3 with one loss against UNO leaves us at 19th in PWR and probably having to run the table in the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Win the ones I said and I show us at 14th in PWR, assuming many other results obviously.  A win vs UNO doesn't have much value except that it's not a loss. Going 5-3 with one loss against UNO leaves us at 19th in PWR and probably having to run the table in the playoffs.

That gives us hope, at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s say we make the regional. Just say we do. I don’t care how.

we have shown we can play with anybody on a given night. Get healthy and lucky and just get to the regional.

we will have a chance at the regional and it will be fun to watch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this team makes it to a regional, I would be shocked.
The only way I see them making the NCAA's is if they win the NCHC tourney.

And to do that they'd have to win 2 of 3 against a better team on the road (ouch) and then win two more games against better teams at the Xcel.

They have shown that they can play with anyone (including teams much higher than them in standings/PWR), but hoping for 4 wins in two weekends against better opponents would be a tough one for this inconsistent team IMO.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong by this team.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Let’s say we make the regional. Just say we do. I don’t care how.

we have shown we can play with anybody on a given night. Get healthy and lucky and just get to the regional.

we will have a chance at the regional and it will be fun to watch 

Just like last year, this team is capable of beating any team in the country 2-1 and capable of losing 2-1 to any team in the country. Early lead, puck possession and solid goaltending. 

I said last year if this team got in they would have had just as good a chance of winning the Title as UMD did....people seem to forget we played UMD in a game that both teams absolutely 100% believed they needed to win to have any chance of making the tournament and handled them pretty easily.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, brianvf said:

If this team makes it to a regional, I would be shocked.
The only way I see them making the NCAA's is if they win the NCHC tourney.

And to do that they'd have to win 2 of 3 against a better team on the road (ouch) and then win two more games against better teams at the Xcel.

They have shown that they can play with anyone (including teams much higher than them in standings/PWR), but hoping four 4 wins in two weekends against better opponents would be a tough one for this inconsistent team IMO.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong by this team.

Pretty much sums it up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SJHovey said:

22 wins and we’re in, 21 and I’ll take my chances. That’s always been the number for teams from the top conferences. 6-2 over the regular season, win the first , roundand we’re at 21.

UND has not gone 6-2 at any point during this season...what makes you think they will do it now?  With  the injuries and stifling inconsistencies to score goals this team faces every night it's not surprising they are where they are.  At some point, you are your record.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blackheart said:

UND has not gone 6-2 at any point during this season...what makes you think they will do it now?  With  the injuries and stifling inconsistencies to score goals this team faces every night it's not surprising they are where they are.  At some point, you are your record.

Yeah I don’t know that I’d bet they go 6-2. I just think 6-2, plus two wins in the first round is what they probably need to get in.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can already see the article by Schlossman, "UND wins just one game vs Canisius, They're in the tournament."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Let’s say we make the regional. Just say we do. I don’t care how.

we have shown we can play with anybody on a given night. Get healthy and lucky and just get to the regional.

we will have a chance at the regional and it will be fun to watch 

With Scheel in net, we are able to win any game on any night.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

I guess I don't really get all the snark about Brad.

Wasn't really snarking at Brad. More so, just my prediction of what I see happening.

If UND doesn't make the tournament, an article will be written about how if UND won more games (insert teams here) they would be in the tournament. 

Which I think is pretty obvious stuff to most anyone.

Last year was:

Quote

Had UND held on to win the game it led last-place Miami 3-0, it would have been No. 11 in the Pairwise and in the tournament as a No. 3 seed.

Hence the term "Pairwise Killer" when losing to crap teams.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can you go back and change outcomes? Wondering how far Canisius drops if we get 2 wins against them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Wasn't really snarking at Brad.

If UND doesn't make the tournament, an article will be written about how if UND won more games (insert teams here) they would be in the tournament. 

Which I think is pretty obvious stuff to most anyone.

Last year was:

Hence the term "Pairwise Killer" when losing to crap teams.

The kicker for me is that early next year Brad Berry will express how important non-conference games are, especially ones that can be killers.  The problem is, that most fans know that, they just need to translate it to their players better.  You can dominate a team with shots, but still not have the mental focus to bear down on some of those chances.  We have seen since that Canisius  gives up 5 goals a night, and to not be able to get 2 on them either night is more than just a hot goalie or puck luck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sprig said:

Wondering how far Canisius drops if we get 2 wins against them.

You can't fall off the floor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

You can't fall off the floor. 

There are 5 teams below them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cratter said:

You can already see the article by Schlossman, "UND wins just one game vs Canisius, They're in the tournament."

Oh to have a mulligan.

truth is that I wouldn’t bet the farm that we would beat them if we played them again.

same as I wouldn’t bet the farm that we couldn’t beat the number one team in the country.

Such is the parity in college hockey these days 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Oh to have a mulligan.

truth is that I wouldn’t bet the farm that we would beat them if we played them again.

same as I wouldn’t bet the farm that we couldn’t beat the number one team in the country.

Such is the parity in college hockey these days 

 

I see this as showing "parity" about as much as the Sioux Falls game in football showed the football parity.  This was an ugly display from a team who lacks offensive firepower and grit.  You are correct about the other parts of your post - I'm not so sure we beat them again, but then again we could beat the number 1 team.  We have some pieces necessary to be a good team, but mental lapses and no talent up front holds us back.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Oh to have a mulligan.

truth is that I wouldn’t bet the farm that we would beat them if we played them again.

same as I wouldn’t bet the farm that we couldn’t beat the number one team in the country.

Such is the parity in college hockey these days 

#highschoolmentality

#berryonthehotseat

#whendoesthisstop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×