SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

On 1/27/2019 at 5:01 PM, MafiaMan said:

@runaroundsioux and @Rebel_Sioux

Didn’t like my comment, eh?  So, which “couple” of the next three opponents do you feel North Dakota will sweep then?  St. Cloud State is obviously now off the table.

@ Denver?  @ Western Michigan?  vs Duluth?

On 1/27/2019 at 6:55 PM, Cratter said:

You take down votes way too seriously. 

On 1/27/2019 at 7:11 PM, MafiaMan said:

Got nothing to do with down votes...I’m legitimately curious as to their thoughts on who UND sweeps over the next three weeks.

You say that but you literally led it with, "Didn't like my comment..." seems pretty petty to me 

4 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

You say that but you literally led it with, "Didn't like my comment..." seems pretty petty to me 

By no means a Mafia Man apologist but Denver (along wit St Clown) is now off the table too.  Two down, two to go, who then do we sweep?

12 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Still at #21

For anyone guessing that's about a 85% chance to miss the playoffs.

Isn't it about time for those probability stats to start making an appearance...

This team is worse than last year's team. Last year's team barely missed the playoffs and had the first round at home, this teams season is basically over already.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:31 PM, Cratter said:

On the bright side...the Frozen Four is in Buffalo, NY this year.

On 2/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah and next year is Detroit so... 

A lot to look forward too....although 87 was a good time against Sparty in Detroit.

The main thing that gives me hope is UND has a pretty good goalie and that's all it takes late in the season and playoffs. 

He has given this team a chance to win every night and I could see him putting together a string of dominant performances. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/2/2019 at 1:07 PM, SJHovey said:

If we don’t win it, I’d like to see an NCHC team win it, just because it riles fans in other conferences. It goes without saying that DU and UMD are at the bottom of my list of NCHC teams I’d cheer for though.

I'm never one to cheer for teams in my conference. I don't really understand it. They are our direct rivals. Why would we cheer for our rivals? With that said, I wouldn't mind if CC won one. Absolutely will not cheer for UMD, DU or SCSU unless they are playing Minnesota or Wisconsin. Maybe BC, too lol.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm never one to cheer for teams in my conference. I don't really understand it. They are our direct rivals. Why would we cheer for our rivals? With that said, I wouldn't mind if CC won one. Absolutely will not cheer for UMD, DU or SCSU unless they are playing Minnesota or Wisconsin. Maybe BC, too lol.

Mostly I just cheer against the Big Ten. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, southpaw said:

The main thing that gives me hope is UND has a pretty good goalie and that's all it takes late in the season and playoffs. 

He has given this team a chance to win every night and I could see him putting together a string of dominant performances. 

Scheel played well at DU. I went and was the lone UND fan in a group of 5 DU fans. They all made a comment about his size. “Is he 6’7”???” They were impressed with his play. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

In the pre-NCHC days I was with you.  I don't think I ever cheered for a WCHA team, although I preferred UMD to beat Michigan in 2011 only because I didn't want Michigan to get further ahead of us.

However, the NCHC programs took a fair amount of heat and ridicule for forming the so-called "super conference" once the B1G broke up college hockey as we knew it.  With the great success of the NCHC in getting teams into the tournament, and then success within the tournament, I kind of feel like it rubs the noses of the detractors in it a little bit, which I don't mind one bit.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

In the pre-NCHC days I was with you.  I don't think I ever cheered for a WCHA team, although I preferred UMD to beat Michigan in 2011 only because I didn't want Michigan to get further ahead of us.

However, the NCHC programs took a fair amount of heat and ridicule for forming the so-called "super conference" once the B1G broke up college hockey as we knew it.  With the great success of the NCHC in getting teams into the tournament, and then success within the tournament, I kind of feel like it rubs the noses of the detractors in it a little bit, which I don't mind one bit.

I cheered for Sandelan also.

In non conference games verses NCHC teams, I cheer for the NCHC teams because of the Pairwise. Then I will also cheer for non conference teams that we played or going to play when they play other non conference teams, same MO.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

Fair point on the PWR. If it helps us, of course I'll cheer for a rival. 

We've one three in a row, now. So, I'm all done cheering for my rivals, unless it helps UND. I actually did cheer for Duluth previously, but then the 2017 Frozen Faceoff title game happened and I lost all respect.

• Upvote 1

Was playing with the predictor this afternoon (Yes, I was bored).   These are the result that I found hey UND to 18th.  Some of the wins didn't help, but a loss hurt the PWR.

Lowell over Mass

Omaha over Miami

Bemidji over Ferris State

Minnesota over Penn State

Wisconsin over Ohio State

St Cloud over CC

Canisius over Bentley

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Fader said:

Was playing with the predictor this afternoon (Yes, I was bored).   These are the result that I found hey UND to 18th.  Some of the wins didn't help, but a loss hurt the PWR.

Lowell over Mass

Omaha over Miami

Bemidji over Ferris State

Minnesota over Penn State

Wisconsin over Ohio State

St Cloud over CC

Canisius over Bentley

I messed with the previous results last night to bum myself out. Winning 1 of 2 a Canisus would've had us up to either 16 or 18 can't remember, and sweeping would've had us in #12. Canisius has 9 wins, 2 vs Nodak.....

38 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

I messed with the previous results last night to bum myself out. Winning 1 of 2 a Canisus would've had us up to either 16 or 18 can't remember, and sweeping would've had us in #12. Canisius has 9 wins, 2 vs Nodak.....

Thanks for doing the work!

Mass lowwell +

Omaha -

Bemidji +

Minn -

St cloud + 

Cannisuis Lost

40 minutes ago, Wildfan said:

1 hour ago, Fader said:

Canisius over Bentley

Relying on Canisius to pull thru in order to help our Pairwise ranking...

#whoodathunkit?

BTW...they’re losing 6-4 late in the 3rd.

On 2/3/2019 at 7:37 PM, Cratter said:

For anyone guessing that's about a 85% chance to miss the playoffs.

Isn't it about time for those probability stats to start making an appearance...

This team is worse than last year's team. Last year's team barely missed the playoffs and had the first round at home, this teams season is basically over already.

They say UND has a 68% to make the playoffs. Which I just don't get. 

.1% to get an at large bid, but 67% to run through the NCHC to win the Frozen Faceoff and make the NCAA's. 67% Seems extremely high and I just don't see it.

Looking at other teams they have UND (20 in PWR) the 11th most likely team to make the tournament percentage wise right now. Right behind Western Michigan at number 10 PWR with a 92% chance at making the NCAA.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ratings/probabilityMatrix.php

I need to find a betting site with those odds and put some money down.

My 85% guess to miss the playoffs was pretty accurate based on just PWR positioning, and the average of the 19th team (23% chance to make tournament) and 21 PWR team (5% chance to make the tournament).

It dawned on me why they have UND so high, and why a few years ago I had trouble analyzing CHNs style of probabilities chart.

The NCHC "AQ" column teams have to add up to 100%. But SCSU, DU, and UMD "AQ" column only adds up to 2%. So the lower ranked teams in the NCHC automatically get the rest of the percentages. 

So take their numbers with a grain of salt. IMO, CHN needs to redo how they present these numbers. Cause unless I missed something, CC (only 5 spots below UND in PWR) has a higher than 0% to make the NCAA right now.

I'm showing we need to win about 6 of the final 8 to be inside the bubble. Then of course you have the NCHC playoffs. I'd think winning 6 of 8 and then winning the 1st round would get us in. It's a big ask but not impossible with the teams we have left to play. Split vs WMU and UMD, sweep CC and UNO.