SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Did Duluth get way better since December 1 or are we way worse?

Exactly. Also the perception on here that UNO and CC are the dregs of college hockey. Their records may not be stellar, but UNO lost 2 games to Denver the weekend before they played us by one goal each game. They took Denver to OT in one of those. CC tied Denver last Saturday, losing the shootout. It's hockey, anyone can beat anyone.

51 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Exactly. Also the perception on here that UNO and CC are the dregs of college hockey. Their records may not be stellar, but UNO lost 2 games to Denver the weekend before they played us by one goal each game. They took Denver to OT in one of those. CC tied Denver last Saturday, losing the shootout. It's hockey, anyone can beat anyone.

3-1 against those 2 is ok.  0-2 against Canisius will probably keep UND out of the tourney.

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Did Duluth get way better since December 1 or are we way worse?

It was like the Natty championship game when UND beat UMD that second night. The first night was like college guys playing against Bantam kids and the 2nd night was a perfect storm for UND to win and they acted like they knew it. That was the 1 win out of 10 tried IMO and I would be flabbergasted if UND beat them again. UMD just matches up perfectly against UND for some reason. UMD was clearly the better team in that game, but I didn't see that at all when UND played Denver or WMU. I'm afraid I'll see that again when they play SCSU though.

And I agree with the comments on hockey being a crazy game and a game of bounces. I wouldn't be surprised to see UND beat Denver, WMU, Omaha, and CC, I just think it's VERY unlikely for UND to steal one from SCSU or especially UMD. Hockey is just as much about matchups as it is about bounces. 

10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

And I agree with the comments on hockey being a crazy game and a game of bounces. I wouldn't be surprised to see UND beat Denver, WMU, Omaha, and CC, I just think it's VERY unlikely for UND to steal one from SCSU or especially UMD. Hockey is just as much about matchups as it is about bounces. 

SCSU hasn't exactly dominated teams in the opposing team's rink.  They're 1-1-2 at UMD and Miami, where UND went 2-2.  They won four games at CC and Alaska, but three of them were one goal games excluding eng's.  They blew out BC and lost to Northeastern.

Yeah, they could come in and do to us what WMU did, but I could very easily see us play them the way we played DU, with a win and a chance to take the second game.

32 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

SCSU hasn't exactly dominated teams in the opposing team's rink.  They're 1-1-2 at UMD and Miami, where UND went 2-2.  They won four games at CC and Alaska, but three of them were one goal games excluding eng's.  They blew out BC and lost to Northeastern.

Yeah, they could come in and do to us what WMU did, but I could very easily see us play them the way we played DU, with a win and a chance to take the second game.

I hope you're right. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I don't think anyone around here is under the delusion that we are better than SCSU or UMD at this point, but we've seen this team perform at a high level many times this season and particularly against some good to really good opponents. With that said, of course, there'e been a lot of bad.  I've seen a team that can beat anyone on any given night and vice versa.

I believe, with us having to win games down the stretch, we can and do absolutely muster splits against SCSU and Duluth.

20 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Sigh.....matters 0% right now but USCHO’s first stab at Bracketology has this projection for Fargo regional:

1) St. Cloud vs 16) American Int’l

8) Minnesota St vs 9) Cornell

...and we know how St. Cloud and Minnesota State swallowed up all the extra UND fan's tickets in Sioux Falls. ;)

16 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

Sigh.....matters 0% right now but USCHO’s first stab at Bracketology has this projection for Fargo regional:

Least the Haskainen kid returns to Fargo

21 minutes ago, GoalieMask said:

krrrrrrrripes ..... this bracket makes my regional tix investment on par with that cash i tossed at MCI..... :(

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, tnt said:

...and we know how St. Cloud and Minnesota State swallowed up all the extra UND fan's tickets in Sioux Falls. ;)

So that's why the NCAA people were giving upper bowl folks like me tickets on the glass for the final. :D

10 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

Wow...could probably even profit on my regional tickets with those rabid fan bases.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, SJHovey said:

To recap:  

SCSU hasn’t exactly dominated teams, but wins.  Period.

North Dakota dominates teams, but loses thanks to “puck luck” and “hot goalies.”

I wonder which of the two we’re likely to see in the NCAA tournament...

Also, I don't care how thoroughly SCSU has NOT dominated teams, you cherry-picked a single loss and two ties in a season where they're currently 17 3-2!  That sounds pretty damn good to me compared to North Dakota's current double-digit loss record.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

To recap:  

North Dakota dominates teams, but loses thanks to “puck luck” and “hot goalies.”

I'll pick "C"...........Canisius

• Upvote 1

On 1/23/2019 at 9:23 PM, tnt said:

With our luck we will sweep a couple of the harder teams then lose to Omaha and CC, then have to face the prospect of facing those hard teams again in the Frozen Faceoff to make the tourney.

I’ll take “Snowball’s Chance in Hell” for $500, Alex.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

On 1/24/2019 at 1:33 PM, MafiaMan said:

To recap:  

Also, I don't care how thoroughly SCSU has NOT dominated teams, you cherry-picked a single loss and two ties in a season where they're currently 17 3-2!  That sounds pretty damn good to me compared to North Dakota's current double-digit loss record.  

Well, I posted I thought we could get a win and a chance to win the other game. I don’t think my hunch was too bad.

13 hours ago, hky said:

Thought beating #1, we'd make a bigger move.

That’s not quite how it works...

Losses to #30 (Colorado College), #34 (Bemidji State), #44 (Omaha) and #52 (Canisius College TWICE) pretty much ruin everything positive about beating the #1 team at home once.

• Upvote 2

The boys probably need to go 3-1 over the next two road trips (at Denver, at W Mich) go have a puncher’s chance.  That’s going to be a tough assignment.  

UND seems to always split at Magness (we’d probably all take that this year) and the Broncos are rolling. 

Along with the Canisius sweep, those two losses at home to the Broncos in mid-November really messed things up. 

2 hours ago, GoalieMask said:

The boys probably need to go 3-1 over the next two road trips (at Denver, at W Mich) go have a puncher’s chance.  That’s going to be a tough assignment.  

UND seems to always split at Magness (we’d probably all take that this year) and the Broncos are rolling. 

Along with the Canisius sweep, those two losses at home to the Broncos in mid-November really messed things up. 

To those 4 games, throw in the Friday night loss to Bemidji and the Saturday night loss to Miami as all games won:

St. Cloud              18-4-2    0.7917
Massachusetts  19-5-0    0.7917
UND                     19-5-1    0.7800   
I had a short dream there!

Back to reality and to the next two weeks tough assignment, if can split in Denver and Sweep at W. Mich - that would put us three in very close run for 3rd place in NCHC and Duluth possibly in the mix, with 3 weekends left:

Duluth
@  
CC
Omaha

• Upvote 1