SiouxSports.com Forum

Pairwise 2018-19

southpaw

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I understand but it’s just so frustrating to be a fan and a season ticket holder since the early nineties and watching this team just go through the motions, IMHO.

I get ya, man. I may see it a bit differently than you, but we still want the same thing -- for our team to win!

I truly believe we're close and I really hope and think this freshman class coming in turns us in a really excellent direction.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I get ya, man. I may see it a bit differently than you, but we still want the same thing -- for our team to win!

I truly believe we're close and I really hope and think this freshman class coming in turns us in a really excellent direction.

I really really hope you are right.  I worry that we are looking at next year's class as the saviors of our program when they are a good class, but the kind we should bring in every year.  We have a huge amount of dead weight on this team and Berry seems bent on keeping them all instead of bringing in more young talent (culture what ever that means).  Remember, we are the team of Toews, Oshie, and Duncan and Schmaltz, Boesser, and Caggiula.  We are used to having high end talent. That's why this year is so so frustrating.   In just a couple of years we have dug a pretty deep hole.  I hope you are correct in your assessment that we are close and next year's class will fill in the gaps.  I'm just not so sure that our program doesn't need more than a good class to right the ship.

21 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Finally got to see Shane Pinto play this weekend. He was last of the incoming forwards I needed to see. He definitely has some tools that can help us. Blaisdell is still probably my favorite of the bunch. I don’t know their faceoff percentages (lol) but I feel confident 3 of the 4 will bolster the skill in our top 6 (unless Berry decides they are third liners :silly:). Specifically at the center position, and I think getting some more skill at center will help returning players. (Ex: Adams.)

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

I really really hope you are right.  I worry that we are looking at next year's class as the saviors of our program when they are a good class, but the kind we should bring in every year.  We have a huge amount of dead weight on this team and Berry seems bent on keeping them all instead of bringing in more young talent (culture what ever that means).  Remember, we are the team of Toews, Oshie, and Duncan and Schmaltz, Boesser, and Caggiula.  We are used to having high end talent. That's why this year is so so frustrating.   In just a couple of years we have dug a pretty deep hole.  I hope you are correct in your assessment that we are close and next year's class will fill in the gaps.  I'm just not so sure that our program doesn't need more than a good class to right the ship.

These classes don't happen every year. It's just not the norm to have two first rounders in a draft class. 

I don't see the hole being deep at all. I get what you're saying with dead weight, I just want to see if guys like Bowen, Smith and Hoff can make a jump. I don't really care to shed a lot of the roster, honestly. Who would you like to see get cut?

What else would it take to right the ship, in your opinion? We've seen a development in the Sophs this year and our freshman from the start of the year. Another step makes sense. Impact freshmen seems like the remedy, IMO.

7 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Finally got to see Shane Pinto play this weekend. He was last of the incoming forwards I needed to see. He definitely has some tools that can help us. Blaisdell is still probably my favorite of the bunch. I don’t know their faceoff percentages (lol) but I feel confident 3 of the 4 will bolster the skill in our top 6 (unless Berry decides they are third liners :silly:). Specifically at the center position, and I think getting some more skill at center will help returning players. (Ex: Adams.)

UGH, Adams. He showed, again, this weekend that he has skill. It's really simple... he needs players to set him up, however.

Just now, siouxforce19 said:

Yeah I haven’t thought Gardner was the right center for him all season. He’d be better with more of a playmaker for center. 

Adams needs to play a Top 6, but our centers are better suited for bottom 6 roles. Both Rhett and Jones can play Top 6, but Jones is more suited for the top line and Adams isn't top line forward material, yet. More centers, pleeeeease.

16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

These classes don't happen every year. It's just not the norm to have two first rounders in a draft class. 

I don't see the hole being deep at all. I get what you're saying with dead weight, I just want to see if guys like Bowen, Smith and Hoff can make a jump. I don't really care to shed a lot of the roster, honestly. Who would you like to see get cut?

What else would it take to right the ship, in your opinion? We've seen a development in the Sophs this year and our freshman from the start of the year. Another step makes sense. Impact freshmen seems like the remedy, IMO.

I agree that we have some frosh and sophs that are developing - however, like I said before we don't have a scorer in the top 100 in the NCAA.  There are 23 sophs on that list by my count - none of them ours.  As to the freshmen - our highest scoring freshman forward is tied for 17th in freshman scoring in our conference.  Denver has 5 - count em - 5 freshmen scoring more than our top frosh forward (Senden).  St. Cloud has 3 above Senden.  Our highest scoring frosh is a defensman (JBD) who is tied for 7th.  Do we have some good youngsters - yes.  But this is not the stuff championships are made of.  In my opinion we have several things needed to right the ship - 2 or 3 great classes in a row - Having a power play with enough talent to get the puck into the zone - having an offense that can gain zone entry in another way than chipping it along the boards - having the mental toughness not to give up goals within a minute or two of scoring - having enough awareness not to take stupid penalties - giving a consistent effort in two consecutive games (or even two consecutive periods).  In my opinion our season results are about half talent, one fourth mental, and one fourth "systems. 

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree that we have some frosh and sophs that are developing - however, like I said before we don't have a scorer in the top 100 in the NCAA.  There are 23 sophs on that list by my count - none of them ours.  As to the freshmen - our highest scoring freshman forward is tied for 17th in freshman scoring in our conference.  Denver has 5 - count em - 5 freshmen scoring more than our top frosh forward (Senden).  St. Cloud has 3 above Senden.  Our highest scoring frosh is a defensman (JBD) who is tied for 7th.  Do we have some good youngsters - yes.  But this is not the stuff championships are made of.  In my opinion we have several things needed to right the ship - 2 or 3 great classes in a row - Having a power play with enough talent to get the puck into the zone - having an offense that can gain zone entry in another way than chipping it along the boards - having the mental toughness not to give up goals within a minute or two of scoring - having enough awareness not to take stupid penalties - giving a consistent effort in two consecutive games (or even two consecutive periods).  In my opinion our season results are about half talent, one fourth mental, and one fourth "systems. 

I'm on the 75% talent train. As I was referring to on the other page, guys like Adams need players around him and when he gets that, he could absolutely fly. Shane Gersich is a good example, of this. This team needs and influx of talent and we are getting it, on the forward side, this summer. 

38 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Casey Johnson for starters. Bowen would be next followed by Yon. I realize that it is not going to happen, but Casey Johnson and Bowen are truly here because they are legacies, and it is apparent that we made the wrong choices. Archibald, Morelli and Ward would be better, but hindsight is 20/20. 

13 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Casey Johnson for starters. Bowen would be next followed by Yon. I realize that it is not going to happen, but Casey Johnson and Bowen are truly here because they are legacies, and it is apparent that we made the wrong choices. Archibald, Morelli and Ward would be better, but hindsight is 20/20. 

I disagree on Bowen, but the other two, I wouldn't bat an eye if they were gone. 

I'm in the boat that they aren't that far off, why do I say this? The Canisius weekend pretty much sunk their season and everyone knew that after it happened. I know everyone hates the what would have happened game, but they'd be sitting in 12th currently if they swept, 17th with a split (but in a virtual tie for 15th). That's with everything else staying the same. Even with those results they are 18th, with what is the lowest output from forwards most of us can ever remember and a historically bad power play. I believe this team has currently has and will have for years a defensive core / goaltending that is Frozen Four caliber. You bring in a freshman class that is extremely highly rated, you'll have four forwards that will all be drafted before the second highest currently on the team next year (Weatherby). That's the shot in the arm this team needs, an influx of forward talent. There is still some pieces on this team that have pretty high ceilings (Mismash / Adams) or guys that are sort of producing currently in Kawaguchi. A productive 3rd line (Smith / Senden / Hain). 

Quick summary, they have 2 of 4 "groups" that are Frozen Four caliber currently, I think it's likely next year they improve scoring by a goal per game. That will put them back in the mix. They won't miss the NCAAs next year.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I hope your right , I just want a team that is competitive in wins every game.

Bemidji State                                L 1-2

Minnesota State                           L 4-7 (ENG)

Miami                                             L 2-3

WMU                                               L 0-2 (ENG)

WMU                                               L 2-6

UMD                                                L 0-5

Denver                                            L 1-2 OT

Canisius                                         L 1-3 ENG

Canisius                                         L 1-2

Omaha                                           L 3-4

St. Cloud                                        L 1-3 ENG

Denver                                            L 1-2

WMU                                               L 2-4

UMD                                                L 2-3

Maybe 3 of these could be considered non-competitive.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Bemidji State                                L 1-2

Minnesota State                           L 4-7 (ENG)

Miami                                             L 2-3

WMU                                               L 0-2 (ENG)

WMU                                               L 2-6

UMD                                                L 0-5

Denver                                            L 1-2 OT

Canisius                                         L 1-3 ENG

Canisius                                         L 1-2

Omaha                                           L 3-4

St. Cloud                                        L 1-3 ENG

Denver                                            L 1-2

WMU                                               L 2-4

UMD                                                L 2-3

Maybe 3 of these could be considered non-competitive.

Some of those games even though the score was close the team was not.

7 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Some of those games even though the score was close the team was not.

Minnesota State / Western Michigan / Duluth / St. Cloud

Of those four that weren't competitive, UND also badly outplayed WMU the night before -- split at home against Duluth and blew out St. Cloud the following night. 

I would say @ Duluth was the only series this year that I would put into the "troubling" category. That changed when they played at the Ralph. 

This is the weekend last year when it all started (USCHO Poll) as the #8 nationally ranked Gophs/Lucia, and they were already talking about the NCAA's.
They would go on to lose 4 straight to Penn St, 2 this & 2 next weekend and never see the ice in the last 2 weekends of the B1G tourney.
Then there was silence on GopherHole the last evening of tourney finals. For the slide, every team (most underdogs) that had to win, did, with Sandelin firing the .0001 heart shot - dead gopher.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

This is the weekend last year when it all started (USCHO Poll) as the #8 nationally ranked Gophs/Lucia, and they were already talking about the NCAA's.
They would go on to lose 4 straight to Penn St, 2 this & 2 next weekend and never see the ice in the last 2 weekends of the B1G tourney.
Then there was silence on GopherHole the last evening of tourney finals. Every team that had to lose, didn't and Sandelin fired the .0001 heart shot - dead gopher.

Oh so sad 

thanks for sharing 

:D

4 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Then there was silence on GopherHole the last evening of tourney finals. For the slide, every team (most underdogs) that had to win, did, with Sandelin firing the .0001 heart shot - dead gopher.

Cool story, bro.  I give North Dakota less than a .0001% chance of making THIS year’s tournament, though.