SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (2-3, 8-10) vs SDSU (4-1, 14-6) 1/16 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Jacks attempted 20 free throws. UND attempted 1. 

Something's wrong with that, I don't care if SDSU is the better team.  Not right but the refs say welcome to the Summit League (first year) and SDSU is the blue-blood in hoops, UND.     

7 hours ago, GDPritch said:

I am by no means a Jones apologist but didn't UND make the big dance just a few seasons ago?

When people refer to making it over the hump, to me that means the program has finally made it over the hump.  They become a top program in their conference and have sustained success.  

Not riding Hooker to an NCAA tourney berth and then going right back down to the cellar.

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Something's wrong with that, I don't care if SDSU is the better team.  Not right but the refs say welcome to the Summit League (first year) and SDSU is the blue-blood in hoops, UND.     

We need to drive more if we want free throws.  I would normally agree but the truth is we took almost all jump shots and three’s.  

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

When people refer to making it over the hump, to me that means the program has finally made it over the hump.  They become a top program in their conference and have sustained success.  

Not riding Hooker to an NCAA tourney berth and then going right back down to the cellar.

For a lot of low major programs, this is the cycle of their programs.  

I'm not sure I like Jones as a coach either but fact is he was one of the most successful coaches in the Big Sky based on post season results.  Remains to be seen how he does in the Summit but anyone who says this team hasn't improved as the year has went along isn't being completely honest.  They have gotten a lot better but they still have a ways to go.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, homer said:

For a lot of low major programs, this is the cycle of their programs.  

I'm not sure I like Jones as a coach either but fact is he was one of the most successful coaches in the Big Sky based on post season results.  Remains to be seen how he does in the Summit but anyone who says this team hasn't improved as the year has went along isn't being completely honest.  They have gotten a lot better but they still have a ways to go.

I would hope so, they have 8 new faces on the team, which is not an excuse Jones can use since he was the one that mishandled the roster. 

There is no reason they shouldn't have won that game last night.  It's was a 50/50 game most of the second half. 

Then, to tie it at the end somehow their worst 3 point shooter takes the shot. Nice.

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

fun game...and the "free chick fila " sandwich is an awesome promotion bc free chicken even gets the old folks up and yelling at the end....

Did the opponent then miss consecutive ft's in the final  minutes?

• Like 1

I was at the game last night UND was in couple of possession of winning this game. Daum was difference in the game but sure can tell that he gets treated differently than  most of the other players in the league. He played whole 40 minutes of the game and never received one foul but I can assure you if he was freshman like Rebraca there would have been several calls that he would have received a foul. The first one was when he hits Avants with the shoulder not only it was none call but he gets the call the other way I can tell you if that is any other than premier  player in the league the call goes other way especially when that player is on the road. Also if you watch a lot of his put backs he gets way with pushing the other player enough under the basket where his long reach become advantage. These calls like this makes a huge difference in game like this just couple of calls other way changes outcome of the game. South Dakota is very good team and showed why they are class of the league but if they make NCAA  tournament Daum doesn't get these call it will turn around other way where he will be player that doesn't get benefit of the doubt. That's the way it is in college basketball and to me that is wrong with major sports in this country everyone wants the star treated differently but I maintain if everyone would be treated equally we would always have the cinderella story in sports. The problem with that it hurts tv they want there stars and promote games on the stars to draw the audiences and ratings. I think the opposite people like to watch underdog and two it would mean top teams would need to bring A game all the time or else they could loose. 

UND I think learned the formula to win this league if they can continue to get good shooting from their guards. South Dakota state is very good basketball team but they are beatable and now what everyone was talking about this club 20 points better than anyone else is not the case.. They very well could be on their home court 20 better but opposing court or even neutral court my guess is they 5 to 10 point favorite. Also if Daum got hurt I don't think they would be favorite with most of teams in Summit conference. Last night they went with pretty much iron man squad with only one other player getting playing time. I hope we can put a few more wins on the book it would be nice if we could end up finishing like 5 in league but I am afraid we may have missed that chance with ORU and Omaha losses games we could have won. I think if we could get high enough seed we could have nice finish to the season in conference tournament getting to semifinal game.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

I was at the game last night UND was in couple of possession of winning this game. Daum was difference in the game but sure can tell that he gets treated differently than  most of the other players in the league. He played whole 40 minutes of the game and never received one foul but I can assure you if he was freshman like Rebraca there would have been several calls that he would have received a foul. The first one was when he hits Avants with the shoulder not only it was none call but he gets the call the other way I can tell you if that is any other than premier  player in the league the call goes other way especially when that player is on the road. Also if you watch a lot of his put backs he gets way with pushing the other player enough under the basket where his long reach become advantage. These calls like this makes a huge difference in game like this just couple of calls other way changes outcome of the game. South Dakota is very good team and showed why they are class of the league but if they make NCAA  tournament Daum doesn't get these call it will turn around other way where he will be player that doesn't get benefit of the doubt. That's the way it is in college basketball and to me that is wrong with major sports in this country everyone wants the star treated differently but I maintain if everyone would be treated equally we would always have the cinderella story in sports. The problem with that it hurts tv they want there stars and promote games on the stars to draw the audiences and ratings. I think the opposite people like to watch underdog and two it would mean top teams would need to bring A game all the time or else they could loose. 

UND I think learned the formula to win this league if they can continue to get good shooting from their guards. South Dakota state is very good basketball team but they are beatable and now what everyone was talking about this club 20 points better than anyone else is not the case.. They very well could be on their home court 20 better but opposing court or even neutral court my guess is they 5 to 10 point favorite. Also if Daum got hurt I don't think they would be favorite with most of teams in Summit conference. Last night they went with pretty much iron man squad with only one other player getting playing time. I hope we can put a few more wins on the book it would be nice if we could end up finishing like 5 in league but I am afraid we may have missed that chance with ORU and Omaha losses games we could have won. I think if we could get high enough seed we could have nice finish to the season in conference tournament getting to semifinal game.

SDSU won't play on a neutral court again the rest of the season until the Big Dance.  They own the Summit Tourney.

10 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I would hope so, they have 8 new faces on the team, which is not an excuse Jones can use since he was the one that mishandled the roster. 

There is no reason they shouldn't have won that game last night.  It's was a 50/50 game most of the second half. 

Then, to tie it at the end somehow their worst 3 point shooter takes the shot. Nice.

I don’t know many that saw two grad transfers leaving in two years.  

I agree it could have been managed better but he seems to have replaced those that left with the tyle of talent that could contend for a conference title the next few years.   

9 minutes ago, homer said:

I don’t know many that saw two grad transfers leaving in two years.  

I agree it could have been managed better but he seems to have replaced those that left with the tyle of talent that could contend for a conference title the next few years.   

There’s talent but is their coaching? The same thing that has been the case for the last umpteen Years. How can a team only manage 1 FT attempt? I wasn’t at the game so I don’t know but wtf. I’m just frustrated of clearly being able to tell that there’s talent there but the lack of actual coaching. 

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

How is not calling fouls against SDSU because UND is the newcomer to the league Brian Jones fault?

As I said, I wasn’t at the game but was the really the case? We only managed to get to the line one time because we are the newcomers. The refs in my city league were better than that. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

If you guys really want to keep defending 186-208 jones, then go for it but I’m hoping to actually be relevant. 

He's got some characteristics to be desired, but if he had a little more luck on the injury front and the NCAA not pulling a screwjob he might have 2 or 3 visits to the dance instead of one.

3 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

If you guys really want to keep defending 186-208 jones, then go for it but I’m hoping to actually be relevant. 

one thing for sure is that jones will be a short leash....in his defense since he's started we/he has been a lame duck d2 team, a lame duck d1 transitional team in the rightly named Great West Conference, and a coach in a conference where our/his nearest confernace shcoole was about a 1000 mile away across 3 time zones? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

SDSU won't play on a neutral court again the rest of the season until the Big Dance.  They own the Summit Tourney.

If anything Daum gets more calls in SF,  the UND fans complaining haven't seen nothing yet. 

39 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

At least he isn't as bad as Richman, North Dakota coaching toliet bowl on Saturday.