SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs donors... again?

Frozen4sioux

12 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

“Permanent” can be for 30years or so..  After that, it’s at the discretion of the U.  When Ray Richards was first started, south or east or west there was nothing.  Now it’s surrounded by apartments, medical and commercial developments.

Hyslop was a gift (or at least partially), but is now scheduled for demolition.  Loved that place and it used to be the showcase for ND tournaments and US Presidents, but now it has outlived it’s day.

Change is very hard for Grand Forkians.  Seems they want everything to remain the same like a museum.  But a prospering city keeps only limited landmarks if they have smart development.

30 years pemanent/Really?

Comparing Hyslop/isn't it a physical structure built in the 1950,s?

Change is not hard/knee jerk reactions with no vision for the future is.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this but if I remember correctly, part of the reason it got cut was with how the budget cuts were allocated. While I'm not sure the course was actually profitable each year (though very close to break-even one way or another), when looking at the budgets, it was about a $300K line item that is pretty non-essential to the mission of the University (much more so than housing or dining), especially when the golf teams don't even utilize it. And that number is the annual operating costs and wouldn't include any upgrades or capital needs of the course. Closing it didn't really move the needle one way or another on the profit side, it does make an impact in terms of cutting a percentage of revenues/budgeted funds, which is what the state mandated cuts were based off of. 

Also, to be clear, only 25% of the land the golf course sat on was gifted to the University, the remaining 75% was purchased. I don't know what land prices were in 1962 and whether it was sold at a discount, but UND paid $300 acre for 75% of the land, with the remainder being given. What's interesting is the current size of the course is only 67.5 acres, much smaller than the original 150 acres.

Some good info here,...

accourding to the internet.. $11,250 in 1962 is equivalent to about $93,000 in todays dollars.  Obviously the current clvalue of the land far exceeds that.

But the question as to the best interest of the university, the administrations have not be wrong in beleiving this plot is not best utilized as a 9 hile golf course.

Gifts of $100k are very important but may not neccessarily earn the right to dictate into perpetude. 

The KEY to all of this is TACT and HUMILITY..... and the massive shortfall in those areas is what has been at the root of almost all of Kennedys issues.. IMO.

The University  .... IMHO.... should do what it can to hold the land... or a good portion of that land as long as they can.

We are going to need a plot of land to build a bigger better hockey rink someday

23 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Here's the other thing:  Where does this leave the golf program?

There is now an $150,000 elephant in the room, and this one is from the conference perspective. 

That $150,000 should pay for itself in 1-2 years though.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this but if I remember correctly, part of the reason it got cut was with how the budget cuts were allocated. While I'm not sure the course was actually profitable each year (though very close to break-even one way or another), when looking at the budgets, it was about a $300K line item that is pretty non-essential to the mission of the University (much more so than housing or dining), especially when the golf teams don't even utilize it. And that number is the annual operating costs and wouldn't include any upgrades or capital needs of the course. Closing it didn't really move the needle one way or another on the profit side, it does make an impact in terms of cutting a percentage of revenues/budgeted funds, which is what the state mandated cuts were based off of. 

State cuts were to state dollars. Any internally-generated revenues at the campuses weren't to be affected. 

UND likely looked at the parking lot and clubhouse, said we need to spend $1 million to fix them up, and decided it'd be better to make money on the property. 

On 1/15/2019 at 9:00 AM, Oxbow6 said:

Ray Richards was a 9 hole course that cost in the low $20s depending on the day of the week to play before it closed. Doesn't fit into the first point or second point. The third point is.........:huh:

Most people who played Ray Richards were not single digit handicappers. They were people looking to enjoy a nice weather day with friends/family while chasing around a white ball whether they shot bogey or triple bogey golf.

In my case it was looking for my ball and not finding it and dropping another 

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I've had many a good round ruined on those last two holes.... 

Yup, hole 8 is as tough a par 3 that there is (was?) around this neck of the woods and hole 9 was arguably the toughest par 4 in the Forks area (for this duffer anyhow). 

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Yup, hole 8 is as tough a par 3 that there is (was?) around this neck of the woods and hole 9 was arguably the toughest par 4 in the Forks area (for this duffer anyhow). 

Watched a guy ace #8 once. Still jealous.

I figured out #9 my way finally: Put the woods away; play two irons to get on. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Watched a guy ace #8 once. Still jealous.

I figured out #9 my way finally: Put the woods away; play two irons to get on. 

You didn't keep trying to bomb your driver down in to that shoebox of a landing area like I did EVERY time I played there?  Cmon man!

• Like 1

Just now, UND1983 said:

You didn't keep trying to bomb your driver down in to that shoebox of a landing area like I did EVERY time I played there?  Cmon man!

The woods stayed in the bag after #7 tee. More humbling? I'd play a shorter iron on #9 tee to get a good landing and then play the longer iron to the green. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Golfing Tips 101........ always easier to play your 2nd or 6th shot from the fairway.

Who knew???

My uncles who taught me the game would, as I'm hacking through cat tails looking for a sliced drive, stand in the fairway sucking down Camel smokes and chirp along about how there was "never a bad shot from the short grass."

31 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Always good to have one "old-timer" on the scramble team who consistently knocks it 170 yards and straight.

This strategy won us a charity tournament this fall! The three of us younger guys can swing but our old timer saved us a couple times with the shorter but straight drives.

Just now, UNDColorado said:

This strategy won us a charity tournament this fall! The three of us younger guys can swing but our old timer saved us a couple times with the shorter but straight drives.

Haha nice!  Have him go first just in case he duffs it and then, assuming he hit it decent, the 3 "young guns" are free to really "tee off" on it.

11 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Haha nice!  Have him go first just in case he duffs it and then, assuming he hit it decent, the 3 "young guns" are free to really "tee off" on it.

This was exactly the strategy..."That was a good drive, now let's see if we can cut it over those trees."