SiouxSports.com Forum

CC at UND, January 11 & 12

GoalieMask

18 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I should’ve clarified that my commentary was directed at the relative silence to Bast’s hit. There appears to be far more outrage on this game thread over Wilkie’s cele than over Bast’s high hit on Berardinelli.

But I also don’t think what Wilkie did on his roughing penalty merits wishing the guy ill will for the rest of his college career. 

I think there's more "outrage" over Wilkie's pop over Bast's hit because no one is disagreeing that Bast's hit was anything but dirty. Is anyone on here arguing that it wasn't? I haven't seen it.

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

............and in the Premier League Chelsea had 66% of the possession vs Newcastle and won 2-1.

#metrics

#analytics

#Corsi

Thanks for the soccer analysis.

Possession led to 4 goals last night.

Other than the PPG, which was a corner pick on a nice play, the kind of play many on here, myself included, have been begging for, the other three were the types of goals you get with consistent pressure and possession. I don't understand the problem, honestly. 

Do we all want more goals? Absolutely. But, 4 seems like a good start. 

25 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I should’ve clarified that my commentary was directed at the relative silence to Bast’s hit. There appears to be far more outrage on this game thread over Wilkie’s cele than over Bast’s high hit on Berardinelli.

I have to rewind the tape to know for certain, but it appeared to me that not only did Wilkie celebrate with a jersey pop, I think he was wearing mismatched socks too!  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Wilkie was chirping the UND bench as he skated by after the goal. Between that and trying to bury one of our players face in the ice while he was on the top of him is enough for me to wish him all the worst in the last 1 1/2 seasons of his hockey career. As Stoney said, enjoy the ring you were gifted while at UND.

Wilkie didn't say anything to the bench after his goal.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Thanks for the soccer analysis.

Possession led to 4 goals last night.

Other than the PPG, which was a corner pick on a nice play, the kind of play many on here, myself included, have been begging for, the other three were the types of goals you get with consistent pressure and possession. I don't understand the problem, honestly. 

Do we all want more goals? Absolutely. But, 4 seems like a good start. 

Leicester City had 72% of possession but lost 2-1 to Southampton.

Bottom line is all the possession, Corsi, metrics and analytics garbage is irrelevant. Only thing that matters is final score and to UND's credit they we're finally on the right side of that last night.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Leicester City has 72% of possession  but lost 2-1 to Southampton........

Bottom line is all the possession, Corsi, metrics and analytics garbage is irrelevant. Only thing that matters is final score and to UND's credit they we're finally on the right side of that last night.

It's just not true to call it garbage, but ok. Do possession and shots always equal wins? No. But, we've already discussed possession leaders and how statistics show that this typically leads to success and UND has been an outlier this year. 

It's fine if you want to ignore it. Doesn't mean it's garbage. 

We dominated shots and possession last night and won. Both are great things.

Wilkie looks like he physically matured during the last couple years.  He had a high school build his first 2 years at UND.  Criticize his theatrics but he is exactly the type of player UND is desperately missing this year, which is a guy with a scorer's touch.  He reminds me of Mismash a little bit except when he misses a shot it isn't 3 feet wide off the glass.

A win is a win but it is amazing how hard UND has to work for goals (deflections, etc).  The skill just isn't on the team this year to convert breakaways, 2 on 1's, etc.

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Wilkie looks like he physically matured during the last couple years.  He had a high school build his first 2 years at UND.  Criticize his theatrics but he is exactly the type of player UND is desperately missing this year, which is a guy with a scorer's touch.  He reminds me of Mismash a little bit except when he misses a shot it isn't 3 feet wide off the glass.

A win is a win but it is amazing how hard UND has to work for goals (deflections, etc).  The skill just isn't on the team this year to convert breakaways, 2 on 1's, etc.

Now we want him back? No thanks

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Nameless said:

Now we want him back? No thanks

Said that type of player, not necessarily him specifically , you must have misread.  This team is lacking finishers.  Seeing 40 shots at the chest of the opposing goalie per game hoping for a random tip or deflection isn't a consistent formula to winning, at least not for this team.  This team needs players that can cash in a higher percentage of shots.  But since you brought it up, I would take Wilkie over 5-6 of the forwards that have played regularly this season.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Said that type of player, not necessarily him specifically , you must have misread.  This team is lacking finishers.  Seeing 40 shots at the chest of the opposing goalie per game hoping for a random tip or deflection isn't a consistent formula to winning, at least not for this team.  This team needs players that can cash in a higher percentage of shots.  But since you brought it up, I would take Wilkie over 5-6 of the forwards that have played regularly this season.  

I think you could make the argument that Jones is a finisher. Check out this goal.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I wish he never would have left.  Kids taking off after an underclassmen season?  Embarrassing.  

Hey @scpa0305 didn't he leave on his own accord? IRC he was whing and complaining about not getting playing time? He could've worked harder and stayed here. 

In JR's he was one of the top goal scorers in the USHL

21 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Luke Johnson made it. If he can so can Jones. Is Luke really a better player?

Depends.  I was shocked luke got a few games this season.  I also heard he lost some mass and worked on his speed a bunch.  Luke is a good player.

luke did well in juniors too.