Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Here are a few things that have happened often enough to be characteristics of Berry`s teams the last year and a half (at least) - these are things that make watching very frustrating.  The Tendency to take shifts or entire periods off - see second periods this year.  The inability to hold leads especially 2 goal leads.  Giving up a goal usually in under a minute after we score.  Endless logo shots with no finishing ability.  Playing down to the opposition.  No in front of the net presence.  I'll advised penalties. We seem to recruit players who appear to have scoring skills but don't score for us - not just out juniors - look at our freshman stats And of course the power play.  We don't see much improvement on any of these areas.  On the positive side - we have on occasion shown we can play with and beat any team in the country.  Time for some changes - if not in coaching then in schemes and game play.  We can't survive much more of this without damage to the program.

All these things you bring up are issues that the head coach can control or fix, but will he.Maybe he thinks he is doing fine and it’s outside influences affecting the team.Berry is in the first year of an extension so he’s not going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

All these things you bring up are issues that the head coach can control or fix, but will he.Maybe he thinks he is doing fine and it’s outside influences affecting the team.Berry is in the first year of an extension so he’s not going anywhere.

I really hope so - coaches have to see the same things we do - I'm surprised some things like the power play haven't already been fixed.  Can you say more a bout these influences?

2 minutes ago, neoflex said:

So 4 questions- 

1) Would Chaves make a change?

2) Could they get Hak - Back? (most likely not) -- Not happening. 

3) Could they possibly get Sandelin? - Not likely, heard once that his wife hates GFK. 

4) What other prospects are out there...

Look at it this way, $400,000 X 4 1.6 million dollar buyout. NOPE. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neoflex said:

So 4 questions- 

1) Would Chaves make a change?

2) Could they get Hak - Back? (most likely not)

3) Could they possibly get Sandelin?

4) What other prospects are out there...

1. Nope.

2. Hak wouldn't do that to Berry.  He has coached his last game for UND.

3. They would need a mountain of money to pull him away from Duluth.  Plus his wife hates Grand Forks.

4. Jason Herter, Dane Jackson, Mike Hastings.  I put Cary Eades on the list, but the baggage with that one makes it unlikely.  

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Look at it this way, $400,000 X 4 1.6 million dollar buyout. NOPE. 

The only chance would be if Berry somehow got a well paying job somewhere else immediately so we aren't on the hook.   Fat chance of it happening and no way of knowing for sure what he'd get until after we dumped him.   And I can't image in Berry taking a negotiated settlement for a lot less but maybe Chaves should try.   We are pretty much between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

33 minutes ago, Hawkster said:

The only chance would be if Berry somehow got a well paying job somewhere else immediately so we aren't on the hook.   Fat chance of it happening and no way of knowing for sure what he'd get until after we dumped him.   And I can't image in Berry taking a negotiated settlement for a lot less but maybe Chaves should try.   We are pretty much between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Hockey team answers to REA, not UND. Maybe REA should handle the negotiations. 

I agree with Goon, 1st year on his five year extension. My question after last year why did we give him a five year deal? Coach Berry we weren’t completely thrilled with your season but here is a five year extension, WTF? I know in my job if I have a terrible year I sure don’t see that. But I think you will see Shaw fall on the sword and move on, the if it doesn’t change  next season you may see some kind of agreement to move on.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Berry’s safe

Why should he be though, the head coach has the systems and which style he wants to play and it’s up to the assist’s to implement those and if their not working the head coach needs to change, Berry can’t even change his pojst game comments , culture, working hard, trust the process , blah blah. No fire from the coach, not ready, on the coach. How long before the teams who draft players start pulling them early or not letting them come at all? Hoff, Mismash, Kawaguchi etc all were scorers before they came here now they all struggle, what the common denominator? 

5 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Why?

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Why should he be though, the head coach has the systems and which style he wants to play and it’s up to the assist’s to implement those and if their not working the head coach needs to change, Berry can’t even change his pojst game comments , culture, working hard, trust the process , blah blah. No fire from the coach, not ready, on the coach. How long before the teams who draft players start pulling them early or not letting them come at all? Hoff, Mismash, Kawaguchi etc all were scorers before they came here now they all struggle, what the common denominator? 

4 hours ago, Goon said:

Look at it this way, $400,000 X 4 = 1.6 million dollar buyout. NOPE. 

6 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Hockey isn't the focus of this admin so I doubt they will pay for a 4 year buyout when Berry isn't the worst coach in the Athletics Department by far. They'll let him ride at least one more year. 

What is the administration's focus? No one seems to know....including Kennedy.

• Upvote 2

The most frustrating part of this run for me is that absolutely nothing has changed - nothing.  Same PP, same giving up leads, same old efforts.  This is the softest team I can remember.  And all we hear from Berry is "culture" and "process".  I would feel a whole lot better if I knew he was pissed and willing to look at any and all changes to make things better.  This is about as consistent a Sioux team as I can remember.  The program can't take more of the same.  Do something for heaven's sake.  Anything.

5 minutes ago, Irish said:

The most frustrating part of this run for me is that absolutely nothing has changed - nothing.  Same PP, same giving up leads, same old efforts.  This is the softest team I can remember.  And all we hear from Berry is "culture" and "process".  I would feel a whole lot better if I knew he was pissed and willing to look at any and all changes to make things better.  This is about as consistent a Sioux team as I can remember.  The program can't take more of the same.  Do something for heaven's sake.  Anything.

To be fair... the reaults have not xhanged on the pp.... but i do think there has been some change in strategery.

Maybe yhat highlights the lack of skill and ability... or it meand that the coaches havent figured out or wont adapt more....

or it just dont mean jack shyt and we jist plain suck...  i dont know im just typing and frustrated and mad a bit plus pissed about being out so damn much money to watch duluth in fargo with st clown and an atlantic patsy... my god WTF is going on...  I mean teally now... WTF

Edit: Pbr