Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Melvin

Time to Boo Berry?

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

113 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

    • Yes - Immediately After the season
      46
    • No - Give Him one More year
      50
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.
      16


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

Tim Hennessy is a radio announcer. His job is to broadcast the hockey games and interview the coaches and players. It is not to criticize the coaches or players. He has covered UND hockey for over 30 years, every game, home and away. He travels with the team on every away game. He has seen it all. The ups and the downs. To question his character for not doing something he has no business doing is naive at best, stupid at worst.And he sure as hell doesn't have to answer to you.

TH has earned the right to do whatever the hell he pleases. The guy’s a UND legend that’s left an indelible mark on the hockey program.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure about the rest of you (I try not to 'live in the reckage of the future') but will be at the games this weekend and expect each and every hockey player to give there very best (110%), and sweep the series.

AMEN

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Old Fella said:

Not sure about the rest of you (I try not to 'live in the reckage of the future') but will be at the games this weekend and expect each and every hockey player to give there very best (110%), and sweep the series.

AMEN

They needed to do that last weekend to close out their OOC schedule on a high note and set themselves up as best as possible in PWR.
CC is a MUCH tougher opponent than Canisius, but UND has shown to play to the level of their competition this season...so honestly I wouldn't be surprised with a sweep in either direction.

Prediction:  Wilkie with a hatty in each game and UND scores 2 for the whole weekend.  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 7:52 AM, siouxkid12 said:

I like Eades as a coach (smart hockey guy) but there is a reason he is where he is at. 

Oh? What is this reason you speak of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AJS said:

As fans there is definite overreaction to games / weekends. It's easy to not see the big picture and focus strictly on the negative. Also, it's much too easy to play the hypothetical game of well what if this happens. As far as Berry goes, I'm going to let the season play out and then reevaluate once this year ends.

One thing that I'd love to ask the experts (Hajdu, Hennessy, @Goon), by that I mean the guys that know the game and are the only people who's opinion matters. Yes, the average idiot (see the rest of us), might overreact, but sports at this level are results driven. What is acceptable for a head coach at UND? Are you not concerned about what you've seen the past three years? Do I personally think Berry is a bad coach, no, but like I asked, what's acceptable to you?

One thing I know is there's not one UND fan that doesn't want this team to go on a streak and make threads like this look foolish in a couple years.

 

Why would anyone come back to a negative thread a few years down the line? You like keeping negativity in your life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sioux90 said:

Why would anyone come back to a negative thread a few years down the line? You like keeping negativity in your life?

I have no idea how that reply came from my final paragraph. Yikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

And then everyone will shut up! 

Unless UND starts losing games 5-4 regularly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AJS said:

I have no idea how that reply came from my final paragraph. Yikes. 

Wrong quote, I apologize. To be fair, I believe fans have the right jeer as well as cheer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Unless UND starts losing games 5-4 regularly.

Sioux sports will just have to shut down then, or at least the hockey section. I kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

Tim Hennessy is a radio announcer. His job is to broadcast the hockey games and interview the coaches and players. It is not to criticize the coaches or players. He has covered UND hockey for over 30 years, every game, home and away. He travels with the team on every away game. He has seen it all. The ups and the downs. To question his character for not doing something he has no business doing is naive at best, stupid at worst.And he sure as hell doesn't have to answer to you.

His job is to broadcast game and interview the coach. That is correct but don't sugar coat the questions and say "that's just how it goes", that is not acceptable. And then to mock fans after the fact on twitter? c'mon that is just petty. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, AJS said:

We have different definitions. To get into the tournament that year they had to (1) Sweep SCSU in the 1st round, which they did (2) Beat Denver, which they did 1-0. They won those three and made the tournament, but to think they were safety in, when going into the NCHC playoffs they had a 50% shot, I wouldn't exactly call "safely in". Even going into the NCHC Frozen Faceoff they needed a win, a 4th place finish and they wouldn't have made it. Again, far from safely in.

But, they won all of those games? I guess I'm confused lol. "Safely" constitutes final position, to me. Whatever lol. It's all good!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AJS said:

I always think it's so important to look at age when comparing stats from Juniors.  Anybody would take Blaisdell / Rizzo over Weatherby and Kawaguchi ten times out of ten. Blaisdell is in the Top 10 in points (3rd for goals) as a 17 year old (turning 18 later this year). Rizzo was hurt for a good chunk of the year, but is also a PPG guy at 17. When Weatherby / Kawaguchi put up those incredible point totals, they were 20 / 21.

 

 

I agree totally, but in the same regard the same situation applies to college.   That is why I am concerned we haven't got production from some older guys coming in that had a track record, and we will definitely need production from younger guys next year.  With the group coming in, I would think a few of them could make a noteworthy impact.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tnt said:

I agree totally, but in the same regard the same situation applies to college.   That is why I am concerned we haven't got production from some older guys coming in that had a track record, and we will definitely need production from younger guys next year.  With the group coming in, I would think a few of them could make a noteworthy impact.  

Agreed, that is always the case.  But they are freshman and most won't make the impact we all think they will in year one.  We critically need continued development from this year's frosh, Soph, and Junior classes.  So important, can't put too much on the incoming class.  If you're looking for the incoming class to save the day you're in for a long year (i.e. this year :) )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, that is always the case.  But they are freshman and most won't make the impact we all think they will in year one.  We critically need continued development from this year's frosh, Soph, and Junior classes.  So important, can't put too much on the incoming class.  If you're looking for the incoming class to save the day you're in for a long year (i.e. this year :) )

Sure, but from what I've read, this forward group seems to be a bit more "elite", I guess. Here's to hoping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 12:40 AM, Mamba said:

Not sure what’s missing, but overreacting isn’t the cure. I’m all about shots, give me SOG, work the game to get SOG ... and they have. But I remember the Manitoba game was much the same. While we did win by one goal, shots were 55 to 9, which seemed crazy.  Pretty sure Berry said early on as head coach, we’re going to get pucks to the net, which I applauded. We outshoot most every opponent. 

What kinds of shots are we taking though. Seems like a lot of low percentage shot from the outside. We don't have the skill to setup the tic tac toe passes. Those outside shots are why we rack up numbers and make goalies look amazing. We are also missing a guys like Parise that can sit in front of the net and pick up the rebounds from all of those outside shots. We have skill, but the skills that we have don't always mesh or compliment each other.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sure, but from what I've read, this forward group seems to be a bit more "elite", I guess. Here's to hoping!

True, but they'll be young.  Agree, here's to hoping. :)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

What kinds of shots are we taking though. Seems like a lot of low percentage shot from the outside. We don't have the skill to setup the tic tac toe passes. Those outside shots are why we rack up numbers and make goalies look amazing. We are also missing a guys like Parise that can sit in front of the net and pick up the rebounds from all of those outside shots. We have skill, but the skills that we have don't always mesh or compliment each other.

A lot of times Parise's net front presence isn't pretty, it's just determination to get to the hard areas.  Sure he has finishing skills, but if our guys would get to those areas more often ..  well, even a blind squirrel can find a nut on occasion.  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tnt said:

A lot of times Parise's net front presence isn't pretty, it's just determination to get to the hard areas.  Sure he has finishing skills, but if our guys would get to those areas more often ..  well, even a blind squirrel can find a nut on occasion.  

"Soft" ~ Jake Brandt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just throwing this out there, and have no statistical justification for my question, but how successful at college level have any BCHL prolific scorers been? I get the feeling that's a high-scoring league, but when faced with bigger, older opponents in D1 hockey, the scoring drops off precipitously.

Is it time to start focusing on different development leagues?

(Don't flame me; I'm old. And frankly, I don't give a damn if you light into me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed, that is always the case.  But they are freshman and most won't make the impact we all think they will in year one.  We critically need continued development from this year's frosh, Soph, and Junior classes.  So important, can't put too much on the incoming class.  If you're looking for the incoming class to save the day you're in for a long year (i.e. this year :) )

I don't see a Pony Express line that developed the last few yrs coming to save the day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mikejm said:

I'm just throwing this out there, and have no statistical justification for my question, but how successful at college level have any BCHL prolific scorers been? I get the feeling that's a high-scoring league, but when faced with bigger, older opponents in D1 hockey, the scoring drops off precipitously.

Is it time to start focusing on different development leagues?

(Don't flame me; I'm old. And frankly, I don't give a damn if you light into me.)

It's definitely a higher scoring league no doubt. The USHL in the hockey circles is pretty much unanimously the top Junior A league in NA. If comparing two players, same age and they both average the same PPG, the USHL player would tend to be the better prospect. That being said, it's why I brought up how old the player is when comparing a guy like Blaisdell to Weatherby. There's good players in both leagues though, I don't see the leagues that UND has been recruiting as the problem. That hasn't really changed the past decade and I wouldn't pin that on the problems this team has had offensively the past two years. They aren't here yet, but Blaisdell / Rizzo / Bowen should be fantastic college players that are playing in the BCHL. All will be here as true freshman. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tnt said:

A lot of times Parise's net front presence isn't pretty, it's just determination to get to the hard areas.  Sure he has finishing skills, but if our guys would get to those areas more often ..  well, even a blind squirrel can find a nut on occasion.  

Thats my point, we don't have a guy that gets to the hard areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can throw out what ever we think is the issue or solution, Berry is in the first year of a five year extension he is going no where. His team had been in the bottom of league scoring for two years, that is a trend and the head coach has to realize that something he is doing is not working. Maybe change up one or both of the assist. and/or change the offensive scheme, you can’t win every game 1-0 or 2-1 you gots to score to win. Alot of these players have been scorers in juniors let’s figure out how to bring that back out. It’s great to be good defensively and to have possession numbers but you have to out “score” teams to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idle mind at work here, wonder if the Dane / Berry relationship is best for the program.  Surely Dane had to feel a bit passed over, not saying any outright issues or negativity but sometime subtle under tones can manifest in ways....    Discuss, Enjoy.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×