Time to Boo Berry?

Melvin

Will Brad Berry Be Fired?   

194 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bill Chaves fire head coach Brad Berry

• Yes - Immediately After the season
    • No - Give Him one More year
    • Hire Hakstol and then fire him, too.

Finally sobered up, but am still really frustrated.  This whole scenario is just incomprehensible to me - We win a title with Berry with one of the all time best teams who appear to be among the most motivated - and many recruited by Berry.  it looked like Berry's coaching turned them loose and allowed them to be creative and was just what we needed to get over the hump.  Three years later and we have one of the worst teams I have seen since the 70's and have absolutely no one who can score.  We have one blank class (no excuse for that), but have been bringing in guys who on paper have talent.  Yet we can't score more than one goal a game on Canesius.  Our play is so poor and half-hearted that it is almost unwatchable.  I can't wrap my head around how that happened and so fast.  I wish Berry would just come out and be honest about what is happening and then clean house instead of the coach-speak about how Hoff has upped his game.  Short of that, I think he has to go because this kind of play just can't be tolerated at UND - it's not just one series, we are working on the third year of this crap.  Time for a change.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

Let's fire everybody and burn down the Ralph. (Not). You can not keep firing coaches because we will be in the same boat. I think the lack of talent caught up with us and UND is in rebuilding mode. How long will it take? Who knows.

Ok - answer me this - after winning a National Championship with our tradition, fans, and facilities on display - should it be easier or harder to recruit top talent?  It's almost impossible for me to envision us having 3 years of recruits after the championship and we can's score on Canesius - a team that plays on top of a parking ramp?  Coaches are responsible for recruiting.  Not to even mention the half-hearted play.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Melvin said:

It's time to get it out of our system. We all know that Brad Berry can't coach and only won with coach Hakstol's recruits. 

The program is stumbling and there needs to be a change at the top. 

Lets clarify this ... Brad can absolutely coach. Can he head coach? Not from what I have seen. I think he is geared towards a defensive focus, but when it comes to actually leading an entire team, and holding young players accountable, I don't think he uses the right tactics. 

I want Hak back. If Berry every found himself in a place where he would be willing to be a UND assistant down the road, I'd welcome that back as well.

Also, I'm sure Shaw is a great person, and he certainly has some experience, but has not seemed to add much to this team over the past few seasons.

What would disappoint me is to see Berry get another year, Hak get another contract somewhere, and UND miss out on a guy that could potentially give us another great 15 years.

We'll see what happens. My perception on this is IF Berry got fired, Hak would not want to step on Berry's toes to take the job. That being said, I can see Berry being the kind of guy that would absolutely tell Hak to take the job and they wouldn't make it personal (both seem like stand up guys).

I just want UND to start winning and being competitive again. This team just doesn't play with any heart. In the past I always felt like the Sioux name, and the program meant something to the players.... like they knew they were a part of something bigger. I don't get that vibe from this group. It seems like what happened to the Gophers is happening at UND, and I hope it stops before we lose too much of what makes this program great.

2 hours ago, Irish said:

Ok - answer me this - after winning a National Championship with our tradition, fans, and facilities on display - should it be easier or harder to recruit top talent?  It's almost impossible for me to envision us having 3 years of recruits after the championship and we can's score on Canesius - a team that plays on top of a parking ramp?  Coaches are responsible for recruiting.  Not to even mention the half-hearted play.

It's called NHL the time table for certain players moved up and we lost too much to replace with players that are not NHL. 

18 minutes ago, johnsowe said:

It's called NHL the time table for certain players moved up and we lost too much to replace with players that are not NHL. 

That excuse may fly the first year after the championship but not now - not in a million years - it's been 3 years and we have no talent.

Not sure what’s missing, but overreacting isn’t the cure. I’m all about shots, give me SOG, work the game to get SOG ... and they have. But I remember the Manitoba game was much the same. While we did win by one goal, shots were 55 to 9, which seemed crazy.  Pretty sure Berry said early on as head coach, we’re going to get pucks to the net, which I applauded. We outshoot most every opponent. 

18 hours ago, Melvin said:

It's time to get it out of our system. We all know that Brad Berry can't coach and only won with coach Hakstol's recruits. 

The program is stumbling and there needs to be a change at the top. 

?

You must of forgot the "Thank You"  coach Berry gave Kris McGary for the raise and extension, en-light of all the budget constraints at UND? Why she would of came to GF amidst the tension between her and our president? More than meets the naked (college) eye here.

Remember when the table was set for four just this last May at The Ralph; president Kennedy, athletic director Chaves, Kris Engelsatd McGary, and coach Berry attending?

Berry signed a five-year contract extension. His base salary will start at $400,000 this season and up to $450,000 in his final year. Contract also is filled with performance bonuses of up to an additional $180,000.

"This was one of the first things I wanted to make sure that we were looking at as we came in here administratively, knowing that coach Berry was going to be going into his last year of his contract," Chaves said. "It was incredibly important that we solidify and stabilize this program so that we can go forward and make sure we can build on what this coaching staff has already been able to do and what we're hoping we can do in the next three, four, five years."

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/hockey/4441504-performance-bonuses-remain-key-part-coach-brad-berrys-contract

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, gfhockey said:

The gobc runs the show. We decide on if and when it happens and it won’t happen anytime soon

I know you are a troll but you don't decide %^&. I am so frustrated with this team that your annoying shtick is unnecessary at this moment. 

13 hours ago, Irish said:

Many of the kids on the roster, if not most, were already in our pipeline when we won in 2016. From there, we've got a pipeline that's very, very good. I'll say it again, we missed on one class (current juniors) and that's a huge part of our struggles. But, that class was all before 2016.

I don't buy the half-hearted play. I think the current team works plenty hard.

• Upvote 4

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Time to Boo Berry?