Berry needs an extension

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Now

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Please discuss cheaper then buyout

2qeym3.jpg

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

2qeym3.jpg

Well? Why not? The record and play merits the discussion.

Last night, while I was scanning Twitter, I noticed a few Fire Berry tweets popping up.  This season is not over yet. After winning the 2016 title @MafiaMan made a comment about some wanting to erect a statue of Brad Berry in front of the Ralph. Now quickly, some are already souring on Berry. I think some are pulling the cord a little early. There's at least 20 games left in the 2018-19 season. Since winning an NCAA title in 2016 Berry's teams are 47-37-14 (.556).

Are some suggesting that UND fire a coach with a plus 500 record? Yes, there are a few things that concern me. I've noticed a trend this season and last. One thing that I noticed about this team is a lot of their shots have come from the perimeter. The need to get in the blue paint. Rhett Gardner has mentioned this a couple of times after losses. They kind of remind me of the Wild, they're always winning the shot totals, but there's not a lot of shots taken from the slot. 

I am going to dust something off here. Brad E. Schlossman had something in his NCHC story that caught my eye. I think this applies today. All programs have off years. There's really a very small margin between winning and losing. UND barely missed the playoffs last year. I don't know if anyone listens to the Bill Chaves podcast, but it doesn't sound like he's soured on Berry. I also don't see Hakstol coming back to coach the team. 

North Dakota, Colorado College, Denver, Omaha, Minnesota Duluth, Miami and Western Michigan all made it.

And the coaches knew that would never happen with all of those teams being in the same conference. Somebody had to lose.

At one meeting with a handful of coaches and athletic directors present, one head coach stood up and expressed this concern.

“Before, I could win 20 games a year, because I only needed to win 12,” the coach said. “I had eight wins baked in. Now, I have zero wins baked in from a conference side. Guys are going to lose jobs because of this.”

The athletic directors also figured this out.

“Somebody has to lose,” said former Colorado College athletic director Ken Ralph, who is now the AD at Maine. “Are we prepared for that? Are our fan bases prepared for that? Unfortunately, it was us. We said we were willing to battle through that, because we’re all going to invest more and this is going to raise all boats.”

Western Michigan, Miami, Omaha, and CC have all had bouts of horrible-season-itis since joining the NCHC.  Let’s not pretend that those recent poor years are somehow better than some of the Michigan Tech, Alaska-Anchorage, and Mankato yester-years of the old WCHA. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Goon said:

Last night, while I was scanning Twitter, I noticed a few Fire Berry tweets popping up.  This season is not over yet. After winning the 2016 title @MafiaMan made a comment about some wanting to erect a statue of Brad Berry in front of the Ralph. Now quickly, some are already souring on Berry. I think some are pulling the cord a little early. There's at least 20 games left in the 2018-19 season. Since winning an NCAA title in 2016 Berry's teams are 47-37-14 (.556).

Are some suggesting that UND fire a coach with a plus 500 record? Yes, there are a few things that concern me. I've noticed a trend this season and last. One thing that I noticed about this team is a lot of their shots have come from the perimeter. The need to get in the blue paint. Rhett Gardner has mentioned this a couple of times after losses. They kind of remind me of the Wild, they're always winning the shot totals, but there's not a lot of shots taken from the slot. 

I am going to dust something off here. Brad E. Schlossman had something in his NCHC story that caught my eye. I think this applies today. All programs have off years. There's really a very small margin between winning and losing. UND barely missed the playoffs last year. I don't know if anyone listens to the Bill Chaves podcast, but it doesn't sound like he's soured on Berry. I also don't see Hakstol coming back to coach the team. 

I like a lot of what you wrote...but mentioning Berry being above .500...all UND teams should be above .500.  

Talent is lacking in comparison to previous und teams...but on paper we should be WAY better than a lot of teams we play. Senden has been a decent surprise for me.  He’s never going to be a high end offensive play but he clearly has a role at the college level.  Outside of the obvious players, this und team has a very nice collection of jr talent. One thing I have noticed is that our squads the last three years have been very lazy. They rarely ever show up for two straight games.  What’s this issue? I’d honestly like to know how the coaches  would answer that question.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I like a lot of what you wrote...but mentioning Berry being above .500...all UND teams should be above .500.  

Talent is lacking in comparison to previous und teams...but on paper we should be WAY better than a lot of teams we play. Senden has been a decent surprise for me.  He’s never going to be a high end offensive play but he clearly has a role at the college level.  Outside of the obvious players, this und team has a very nice collection of jr talent. One thing I have noticed is that our squads the last three years have been very lazy. They rarely ever show up for two straight games.  What’s this issue?

Typo?

6 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Typo?

No, I meant junior hockey talent. Haha

you actually bring up another good point.  The junior class gets a ton of flack for not producing (which they probably deserve).  But what classes are actually doing good?  Maybe the freshman? Not one of our players is remotely close to a pt/game pace.  It’s beyond bad.  Laughable at this point.

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

10 games over .500 in 2 1/2 seasons is NOT something to brag about.

Here's some salt in the wound....it's 3 1/2 seasons.

10 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Here's some salt in the wound....it's 3 1/2 seasons.

Not counting 2015-2016.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, MafiaMan said:

Even better.

I'm actually wrong.  I forgot we were discounting 2015-16.  It is 2 1/2.

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

If we lose tonight, 0-5-1 against Bemidji, Western Michigan, and Canisius is not something to make excuses for.

But HEY! We beat the U18 Team USA in a game that doesn't count, and they beat SCSU and UMD. I'd take a beating in that exhibition for wins vs teams that matter

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

This season isn't done yet, I get that.  Berry should get to the end of the season.  But, if this continues through March, you have to make a change now, especially if Hak is still jobless.  I'm not even saying Hak has to be the guy, but at least he'd be a candidate. 

If we lose tonight, 0-5-1 against Bemidji, Western Michigan, and Canisius is not something to make excuses for.

The University isn't going to fire Berry after this season. I'd bet you a 12-pack of your favorite micro brew. Also, WMU went 1-0-1 against UMD, I am not sure why you added that. They also have a 10-6-1 record. 

8 minutes ago, Goon said:

The University isn't going to fire Berry after this season. I'd bet you a 12-pack of your favorite micro brew. Also, WMU went 1-0-1 against UMD, I am not sure why you added that. They also have a 10-6-1 record. 

If they don’t change something it will look like Columbia mall on a Monday at the Ralph during game day 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Goon said:

Goon seriously, love ya, but The guy that made you kiss up all the time is gone now, went south.

You  CAN be  honest with yourself and the fans now. There be something rotten in Siouxville and unfortunately..... the buck stops at the guy behind the bench. No excuse for not making the changes and adjustments that are needed.

No excuse for not getting the best out of some extreamly talented hockey players.

normally I’d agree, no way Berry is gone.... but.....

On paper..... one coach failing .... and yes losing to glorified club team in a hotel lobby a on top of a parking garage IS failing..

Missin tournies is failing....

loosing committed top end recruits to other college programs is failing.....

One of the best college hockey coaches in history is chilling in his GF home.......

The ONLY reason this doesn’t happen IMHO is that Hak is to good of a guy to agree to take back his buddies job.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Big A HG said:

You're totally missing the point on what Brad wrote.  It pertains to the conference schedule.  You're reference the quote at a time when people are fired up over losing to Canius one night, and as I type this are losing to them again.  The unnamed coach referenced "baked in wins".  That's what Canisius is.  That's what Bemidji is.  At least when you're UND they are.  Bad UND teams, especially one that is only a few years removed from a title, in a place like REA, at a program dripping with history and a boatload of well-known alums.  One down season is understandable, we were due for one.  But now, we're in Berry's fourth season, and each year is worse than the one before.  This season isn't done yet, I get that.  Berry should get to the end of the season.  But, if this continues through March, you have to make a change now, especially if Hak is still jobless.  I'm not even saying Hak has to be the guy, but at least he'd be a candidate. 

Hey, I agree Berry's gotta go barring a miracle for the rest of the season but Haks ain't coming back, believe me.  It would have to be somebody else, maybe Hastings (?--Mav's coach), Eades, or ? 

1 hour ago, Langster019 said:

But HEY! We beat the U18 Team USA in a game that doesn't count, and they beat SCSU and UMD. I'd take a beating in that exhibition for wins vs teams that matter

Hmm, you sound like ya might be a Haks basher/Berry supporter, huh? 

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I'm really struggling on how to lay it out any simpler for you.  Western Michigan beat us because they were the better team.  They deserved to beat us.  They have a 10-6-1 record and are capable of beating other good teams because they have good players and good coaching.  But, that's the inherent problem.  We got outrecruited, outcoached, and outplayed with better players by Western Michigan.  Not Denver, not Minnesota, not Boston College, not Michigan, but again, Western Michigan.  That's why I included them.  But, in the end, you're right.  Not mentioning the Bemidji or Canisius weekends to try and prove how awesome Western Michigan is really shows how competitive UND is this year.  

And no, I would never take that bet.  Berry will be back next year.  No one at UND has the cajones to fire him.  If they ignore it, it will all go away.