SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I've wrestled with this one before, too. It's such a hard line to balance. Say we yank a couple under performing schollies and a player or two leaves, what does that say to our recruits? Sure, it could mean that we don't accept under performance, but it's also a commentary that if you don't produce, you're gone. This could cause pause to good recruits. 

It sucks that a guy like Donavan is leaving because he knows he doesn't have a spot, next year. But, yanking schollies doesn't feel like the best for our program long term.

I agree that it should not be done lightly - and never because someone is on a skid (like someone mentioned).  However, If you are now a Junior forward and have less than 5 points halfway through your junior year - and this is in line with what you have accomplished in the past - maybe this program is not a good fit.  Now we are losing good recruits because we don't have room but we can carry guys who can't score to save their souls for 4 years?  As far as long term for our program,  getting swept by Canesius is not good long term for us either.  It is getting harder to tell top talent "come here for a real shot to win the National Tournament) when we look like we did this weekend.  My main frustration is that I feel nothing is changing - same old same old from the coaches.  Do we really want to lose Donavan so a couple of non performers have a good seat next year?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's hope this was our "US International" wake-up call for the season. 

If you don't know what that is, ... you're bandwagon. (I actually watched that debacle from the old REA press box as fate would have it.) 

Yep. I was there. December of 1986. One of 3 games I was able to attend. Luckily the other 2 turned out much better later that year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sodbuster said:

Yep. I was there. December of 1986. One of 3 games I was able to attend. Luckily the other 2 turned out much better later that year.

We those two other games, per chance, played in the State of Michigan? ;)  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

I agree that it should not be done lightly - and never because someone is on a skid (like someone mentioned).  However, If you are now a Junior forward and have less than 5 points halfway through your junior year - and this is in line with what you have accomplished in the past - maybe this program is not a good fit.  Now we are losing good recruits because we don't have room but we can carry guys who can't score to save their souls for 4 years?  As far as long term for our program,  getting swept by Canesius is not good long term for us either.  It is getting harder to tell top talent "come here for a real shot to win the National Tournament) when we look like we did this weekend.  My main frustration is that I feel nothing is changing - same old same old from the coaches.  Do we really want to lose Donavan so a couple of non performers have a good seat next year?

All fair points, man. I'm just suggesting it's a slippery slope. 

15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Let's hope this was our "US International" wake-up call for the season. 

If you don't know what that is, ... you're bandwagon. (I actually watched that debacle from the old REA press box as fate would have it.) 

Does Tony have any eligibility remaining?
Put him in wearing Mismash's jersey for the CC series and I bet he scores 2-3 each night.

"Jackson Keane wants to go to Buffalo, too!"  (sung to the tune of Heavy Metal Hockey)

2 hours ago, Godsmack said:

It felt like Canisius played rope-a-dope this weekend with us. They’d bend but not break and then would pounce and create odd man rushes when our D men were either out of position or if all 5 of our guys were gassed and couldn’t get back fast enough to back check. Appears to have been a good coaching strategy by Coach Large. 

Oh puuuhhhhlease.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Gotta love the hypocrisy of the apologists. What they say counts because they're true faithful fan while those who dare share concerns about the program are "dipshits." :silly:

I just got done with my colonoscopy so I guess for that 20 minutes I qualify as one.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We those two other games, per chance, played in the State of Michigan? ;)  

Nah, I wasn't fortunate enough to swing that trip with two young kids, but out of 40 wins that year, I know I saw two of them. The US International game just stuck in my mind. Ex Gopher coach Brad Buetow was their coach at the time, and it was a huge win for them.

At this point I am just hoping for a hint, clue, anything that Coach Berry "gets it" sees that changes are needed, and will make changes.  Up until now all we get is coachspeak.  Frustrating.  I don't expect a Mia Culpa, just an acknowledgement, for example, that we need to do somethings different.  We have had the exact same problems for far too long now.

8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The "lack high end finishers" excuse doesn't really hold water here. Do Canisius and Bemidji have more/better high and finishers/scorers than UND? 

Of course.  We're three years removed from a National Championship which means we're reloading any year now, silly.  Plus, we outshot them!

6 hours ago, Taz Boy said:

Hey SS Dipshits:

This thread clearly needs some adult thinking and perspective, so Taz is happy to oblige.  Many of you creampuffs appear to be personally offended by UND's recent struggles, somehow expecting to be assuaged your strife as the most noble of professions:  the disappointed, untalented fan.  Yes.  Tough to sit and watch others work, try, and at times fail at a high competitive level while you shart your undies from too much Juul fruit medley and creme brulee vape.  Why not work on improving your own self-esteem rather than expecting a college athlete to do it for you?

Of course, I'm a big Hakstol fan, and Blais before that, and Gasparini...  you get the picture.  But, I also dig me some coach Brad Berry big time.  Let's just remind ourselves what the relatively short Berry Era has produced:

• 2016:  Natty #8.  The Frozen Four performance solidifies he can coach at a high level, big games, big talent.  He also showed such caring and humility afterwards to members of his fan base back home that sadly many will never know just how nice and genuine a person he is.
  • 2016:  UND 4, BC 3 at Madison Square Garden:  Epic awesomeness--  big stage, big exposure.  Equals 1 National Title in Taz' book of sweet-ass Sioux memories.  Thank you, Sir.  May we have another?
  • 2018:  UND 3, UofM 1.  Berry and his team say "Yes, you may have another!" and it was so, so delicious .  What a great time for those who actually nutted up and traveled there.  A coaching and execution performance well deserving of our respect.  Not quite Natty level, but pretty darn close.

So, spew away into your keyboards.  I'm going to continue to enjoy all of this epic winning with all of my true Sioux faithful traveling to exotic locale, draining local bars of their inventory, and furthering the greatness that is North Dakota.  Go Sioux!!

taz

You may need to go to exotic locations to watch Fighting Hawks hockey because bidding on regionals might not become fiscally attractive in the future should things deteriorate further.  Just curious, are you a season ticket holder? I get what you are saying,  but I also don’t want to end up like Wisconsin under Mike Eaves. It’s like I said earlier, if you win with that kind of defensive system, fans can live with it, but scoring once or twice a game and losing, well ... that brings us to this frustration level.   Thankfully we have guys in the pipeline that will hopefully turn that trend, but if not, you lose those elite prospects that want to score goals.

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

All fair points, man. I'm just suggesting it's a slippery slope. 

It is, but like mentioned...you just don't take it lightly. However, we are putting out full lines of guys who provide zero offensively, while turning away the likely Mr. Minnesota. That's an issue.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, franchise said:

It is, but like mentioned...you just don't take it lightly. However, we are putting out full lines of guys who provide zero offensively, while turning away the likely Mr. Minnesota. That's an issue.

Ryder Donovan is the epitome of what the Brad Berry era has become.  Berry isn't just a coach/recruiter....he's essentially the General Manager of the program.  HIs management of the program is so poor to this point there might be irreparable damage done by the time this is all figured out.  Berry can coach.  He's a softy that the players could talk to.  But, that can only work so long before it becomes a problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, franchise said:

This is exactly my point

1 hour ago, franchise said:

Not so sure Donovan will win Mr. Hockey this year.  There are other players out performing him so far, but I hear what you’re saying.