SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I don't know the back story with Eades, but maybe it should be minimized and amended?    cough bohl cough cough

I would tend to agree with this. At this point I just want some winning coaches and leadership back on the bench. And I like Berry, I think most would agree he is an extremely likeable guy, but clearly players respond better to him as an assistant. And maybe he could even take that role back on at some point.

i just think Hak holds his players more accountable and they play more disciplined, which is probably why is always seemed to get more out of his guys.

• Upvote 1

Lets start with the obvious. All we are hearing from this weekend is how good the Canisius goalies were. They weren’t good. They bobbled the puck like crazy and got a lot of puck luck the entire game. They were playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. That’s a team that’s afraid. Speaking of puck luck, any other travelers who were at the game see what the Canisius staff did with the pre game puck stack? A kid with Canisius sweatshirt on created an “L”, which I assume was caught by UND very quickly as someone was over there right away to fix it. What an incredible amount of disrespect to a program that has nothing to their name. 

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

It's just parity folks. We've been told for multiple years this is the new norm.

I think parity was more about Big 10 money raising the bar for Ohio State, PSU etc, not so much North Dakota getting swept by a tiny commuter college in downtown Buffalo

21 minutes ago, TravellingSiouxFan said:

Lets start with the obvious. All we are hearing from this weekend is how good the Canisius goalies were. They weren’t good. They bobbled the puck like crazy and got a lot of puck luck the entire game. They were playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. That’s a team that’s afraid. Speaking of puck luck, any other travelers who were at the game see what the Canisius staff did with the pre game puck stack? A kid with Canisius sweatshirt on created an “L”, which I assume was caught by UND very quickly as someone was over there right away to fix it. What an incredible amount of disrespect to a program that has nothing to their name. 

I was sitting right next to the bench and saw this happen...almost said something to the young man. 

I believe everyone should slow the roll on the firing Brad Berry. He is loved by the players and will continue to be one the best coaches. The natl championship team is mostly his class as an assistant coach doing most of the recruiting. The team will be fine. Two big weekends coming up here and I believe in this team! Although a frustrating weekend for them, there’s a ton of respect for those players who didn’t quit and continued to battle through the entire game, dominated Canisus. Slow the roll guys, they’ll get back to it this week and respond great. GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, John W. said:

College hockey landscape has changed...used to be 4/5 Super  teams ( I'm talking in the 50's/60's- Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota, Boston College, etc)... Talent now spread over. 40+ teams....No longer will teams have long running dynasties.... Will have a window for a couple years....then regroup...and make another run....kinda like the NFL...where ,except for NE, teams will make a playoff run...then regroup...

Enjoy the ride...support your fav....but accept the reality....

Agree. It probably started with the Holy Cross win over Minnesota as that seemed to be the start of every tournament game becoming a crap shoot and #4 seeds winning and last teams in the tournament winning national titles on more than 1 occasion.

With the NCHC winning the last 3 titles it has maybe clouded our view of the landscape change but even given that it has changed. 

So how have Hockey's Blue Bloods been faring over the last 4-5 seasons(current season plus previous 4)

Wisconsin--.396 winning percentage

Minnesota-.573

Michigan-.574

BC-.604

UND-.651(1 title)

BU-.666

DU-.696(1 title)

16 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

I think parity was more about Big 10 money raising the bar for Ohio State, PSU etc, not so much North Dakota getting swept by a tiny commuter college in downtown Buffalo

I've been told parity started way before the Big 10. It's just keeps increasing year after year!

And luck. Hockey is all about luck.

18 minutes ago, ShirleyPo said:

I believe everyone should slow the roll on the firing Brad Berry. He is loved by the players and will continue to be one the best coaches. The natl championship team is mostly his class as an assistant coach doing most of the recruiting. The team will be fine. Two big weekends coming up here and I believe in this team! Although a frustrating weekend for them, there’s a ton of respect for those players who didn’t quit and continued to battle through the entire game, dominated Canisus. Slow the roll guys, they’ll get back to it this week and respond great. GO SIOUX!

You have to be one of the best coaches, in order to continue being one of the best coaches...and the next 2 weekends mean nothing. Time of death on this season was 8:48pm CT on Saturday

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

How many see exactly the same thing happening with hockey as football?

Bubba many other places gets his walking papers.  Instead, we fire the assistant coach everyone hates and he is given one more year to prove what we likely already know. 

After they miss the postseason does Berry give Shaw his walking papers and a new guy is brought in and Berry is given another year to prove what we already know?

Right or wrong, we seem to sack the lieutenants and let the generals fight on for another year.   Maybe the previous AD should have been more careful about signing such long contracts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TravellingSiouxFan said:

Speaking of puck luck, any other travelers who were at the game see what the Canisius staff did with the pre game puck stack? A kid with Canisius sweatshirt on created an “L”, which I assume was caught by UND very quickly as someone was over there right away to fix it. What an incredible amount of disrespect to a program that has nothing to their name. 

38 minutes ago, ShirleyPo said:

I was sitting right next to the bench and saw this happen...almost said something to the young man. 

Sorry, but complaining about the arrangement of practice pucks on the wall before a game is, without a doubt, the lamest thing I've ever seen done on a sports fan site, and THAT is saying something.

Suggesting that an "L"-shaped stack of pucks may have had some effect on the outcome of a game--or even on the psyche of a hockey team--not only has no roots in reality, but has exited the realm of superstition and ventured deep into the uncharted universe of stupidstition.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Sorry, but complaining about the arrangement of practice pucks on the wall before a game is, without a doubt, the lamest thing I've ever seen done on a sports fan site, and THAT is saying something.

Suggesting that an "L"-shaped stack of pucks may have had some effect on the outcome of a game--or even on the psyche of a hockey team--not only has no roots in reality, but has exited the realm of superstition and ventured deep into the uncharted universe of stupidstition.

Should have left it for the players to see..."you are being mocked and ridiculed by fucking Canisius"

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ShirleyPo said:

So the school whose fans literally purchased 20-30 Holy Cross jerseys to taunt our rival with — and a few of those folks are still doing it 13 years later — is offended by Canisius College stacking some practice pucks?

#NorthDakotaHockeyApocalypse 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I've been told parity started way before the Big 10. It's just keeps increasing year after year!

And luck. Hockey is all about luck.

i read somewhere, "the harder I work, the luckier I get".....   maybe google can shed some light on who said that...

48 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Never said it had anything to do with the outcome of the game you dumba$$. Just saying that it’s bush league as Canisius is.

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

So the school whose fans literally purchased 20-30 Holy Cross jerseys to taunt our rival with — and a few of these folks are still doing it 13 years later — is offended by Canisius College stacking some practice pucks?

#NorthDakotaHockeyApocalypse 

You’d think the people of the north would have thicker skin and quicker wits.

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

And that is why they suck. He’s never been and never will be a sioux. And to have the gaul to use the word pride to describe getting swept by a shitbag program. I wonder what a quote would have been from Porter when he was here had they been swept like this?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1