SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

This season is now lost, and I accept that.  There is no coming back from that, not from this team.  It would require only a couple losses from here on out, and that won't happen.  I accept that but there better be some significant improvement by the end of the year or Berry has to go.  As pointed out, there are many programs for recruits to pick from, and there is no better facility or fans than the Ralph, but that only goes so far.  No one can defend their play, and no one can ever explain scoring a total of 2 goals in two games against that team.  With a lost season, some heads should roll now to see if it is enough to get things changing.  Who wants to live another year like this year--I don't want to become the Gophers and how irrelevant they have become!!

11 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

No USA actually got the puck in the zone with possession and created some chances and we know that doesn't happen on Shaw's powerplays. Although a couple whiffs on beautiful backdoor feeds did look reminiscent of something I had seen before.

It was sarcasm. The USA powerplay looked really good aside from nit scoring. Obviously it’s night and day when comparing the 2. 

9 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

And that’s the key, he has lost the team, and he lost the team last year too.

I do place also a ton of blame on Shaw and the captains. It’s not enough to just keep saying we have a culture. The culture needs to be executed on the ice.

I like Brad, Love Brad Berry but dammit this crap can’t happen. 

What captains? This team has no leaders.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bigmackattack said:

This season is now lost, and I accept that.  There is no coming back from that, not from this team.  It would require only a couple losses from here on out, and that won't happen.  I accept that but there better be some significant improvement by the end of the year or Berry has to go.  As pointed out, there are many programs for recruits to pick from, and there is no better facility or fans than the Ralph, but that only goes so far.  No one can defend their play, and no one can ever explain scoring a total of 2 goals in two games against that team.  With a lost season, some heads should roll now to see if it is enough to get things changing.  Who wants to live another year like this year--I don't want to become the Gophers and how irrelevant they have become!!

I kind of don’t want to see much improvement. Given the decline we have seen over the past few years I don’t want there to be any question at the end of the season that a new head coach is needed. I’ll take Hak back. Otherwise Jackson  would be an option. Eases, but it probably won’t happen.

Or you get Sandelin in a locked room and you don’t unlock it until he takes the job.

whatever it is, a change is clearly needed. I miss the last 15 years of actual competitive hockey.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, franchise said:

Does anyone have a legit reason that Hak wouldn't come back? 

I get that Eades is unlikely, but other than some guess that Hak wouldn't want to step on his friends toes or something? If Berry was fired, I don't see why Hak wouldn't be interested. 

Because he’ll be hired by another NHL team this spring. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I’m sure Wilkie is looking forward to playing UND but he can’t really brag about CC playing any better. If anyone has been as inconsistent as North Dakota, it’s the Tigers. 

LeClerc is going to be the NCHC goalie of the week if he is still at CC. 

• Upvote 1

A lot of folks are coming to Bub’s defense right now, some on twitter.  I’m sure he’s a good recruiter and I’m sure he cares a lot.  Problem is a top notch problem can’t be in this kind of two year funk.  We have more skill than people think (I even forget that quite a bit). We don’t have the skill we used to but we have more than most teams we play.  Any other sport he’d probably already be let go.  My question is more related to what’s really going on. His post game comments are terrible.  Maybe he simply isn’t head coach material.  I know he’s a players coach, however this team is already spoiled, they need a hard ass.  Not sure Bubs is it.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

A lot of folks are coming to Bub’s defense right now, some on twitter.  I’m sure he’s a good recruiter and I’m sure he cares a lot.  Problem is a top notch problem can’t be in this kind of two year funk.  We have more skill than people think (I even forget that quite a bit). We don’t have the skill we used to but we have more than most teams we play.  Any other sport he’d probably already be let go.  My question is more related to what’s really going on. His post game comments are terrible.  Maybe he simply isn’t head coach material.  I know he’s a players coach, however this team is already spoiled, they need a hard ass.  Not sure Bubs is it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is spot on

35 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Because he’ll be hired by another NHL team this spring. 

Correct. He's in the NHL club now.  Regardless of whether someone thinks it's justified or not, once you are in it's not a matter of if but it's a matter of when you will be recycled into another job.

Thus is like beating a dead horse but all these forwards who scored in juniors don’t just lose their touch. I believe whatever the coaching staff is bringing to the table is holding these guys back, where is the creativity ? I think if Berry stays he needs to change his approach all the way around and we all know how easy it is for a leopard to change its spots.

2 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Thus is like beating a dead horse but all these forwards who scored in juniors don’t just lose their touch. I believe whatever the coaching staff is bringing to the table is holding these guys back, where is the creativity ? I think if Berry stays he needs to change his approach all the way around and we all know how easy it is for a leopard to change its spots.

Other teams seem to be getting a lot more out of a lot less...let’s just say that 

• Upvote 3