SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota at Canisius January 4-5, 2019

Dave Berger

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

So does anyone acutely remember the down years in the early ‘90’s? Was it lack of scoring, penalties, bad D, poor goaltending? Any similarities to the past few seasons? 

Just avg/mediocre talent, similar to what we see now.  It takes awhile to set in or grasp as you have players that are "names" (e.g. draft picks, etc) but once the "bad luck", "hot goalies", "no puck luck" stretches for 2 - 3 seasons (as it is nearing now) then it hits you on the head that your team simply ain't nothing but average or mediocre. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

It's what the man said. 

Remember, in Hennessey's defense he is or is essentially a UND paid employee,  Remember men's hoop's play by play radio guy Paul Rolston getting suspended by UND back a few years ago when he referred to a late men's hoops collapse as a "choke job".  Yah, no doubt a conflict of interest when it comes to getting honest/opinionated reporting, but Tim surely knows where his next paycheck is coming from. 

1 hour ago, SiouxScore said:

I'm not a big fire the coach guy as soon as something goes wrong but I think the last two years have seen a pretty steady downturn in the level of hockey UND is playing. This weekend tops it off for me as I think you have to make a change. If they wanna keep him through the end of the year and let him finish the season fine but somebody should be getting in touch with Hakstol right away and letting him know at the end of the year the job is yours if you want it. I'm so sick of hearing the same old crap from Brad Berry. Your team just was swept by a terrible irrelevant Canisius team and you talk about playing the right way and how people are gonna say mean things in the post game interview. It is a bottom line business Brad and yours doesn't look very good at all. I don't care whether you play the right way or not if you are getting swept by a program half the country doesn't even know exists. You have had plenty of time to make changes and instill some discipline back in this program but instead you are too worried about being buddies with the players and don't want to make difficult decisions. Good leaders have to make difficult decisions because it is the best thing for their program. Time to bring back somebody we know will do that.

I just don't see them firing Berry mid-season, as most top college sports programs don't, but gotta think it will happen at season's end unless this debacle gets turned around right quick now.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

-Hoff took a step forward!  Getting better.

I know this pathetic showing was a team effort, but Hoff's getting better was one of Berry's take-aways from this game???  The guy is a Junior and had no goals or assists tonight.  Hell, he has 2 goals so far for the season.  Maybe with another 6-7 years he might turn into a scorer.  What is Berry smoking anyway?  This thinking is why we average 1 goal a game against Canesius. 

7 minutes ago, Prison_Mike said:

I don’t thinking Brad Berry will be fired for what happened this weekend. It will be because of what happens the rest of the season. There is no reason to think this will be the last embarrassment this team will face. The team has given up on him.

And that’s the key, he has lost the team, and he lost the team last year too.

I do place also a ton of blame on Shaw and the captains. It’s not enough to just keep saying we have a culture. The culture needs to be executed on the ice.

I like Brad, Love Brad Berry but dammit this crap can’t happen. 

College hockey landscape has changed...used to be 4/5 Super  teams ( I'm talking in the 50's/60's- Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota, Boston College, etc)... Talent now spread over. 40+ teams....No longer will teams have long running dynasties.... Will have a window for a couple years....then regroup...and make another run....kinda like the NFL...where ,except for NE, teams will make a playoff run...then regroup...

Enjoy the ride...support your fav....but accept the reality....

1 hour ago, John W. said:

College hockey landscape has changed...used to be 4/5 Super  teams ( I'm talking in the 50's/60's- Michigan, North Dakota, Minnesota, Boston College, etc)... Talent now spread over. 40+ teams....No longer will teams have long running dynasties.... Will have a window for a couple years....then regroup...and make another run....kinda like the NFL...where ,except for NE, teams will make a playoff run...then regroup...

so making the tournament 15 years in a row cant happen these days?

ignorance seems to be the foundation you've chosen to build your thatched hut of arrogence upon.

character assassination   seems to be your trait...ya, 15 straight years are doubtful these days, but some conferences are really weak.......get a grip on 'reality'....times have changed....I see by your location...where you are from...so am not surprised by your thought process....Dynasties are a thing of the past....

7 minutes ago, John W. said:

character assassination   seems to be your trait...ya, 15 straight years are doubtful these days, but some conferences are really weak.......get a grip on 'reality'....times have changed....I see by your location...where you are from...so am not surprised by your thought process....Dynasties are a thing of the past....

LOL...as further evidence that dynasties are a thing of the past, Alabama plays for another FBS title on Monday and NDSU won their 7th FCS title in the last 8 years yesterday.  Oh, and the Red Sox won their, what, 3rd or 4th MLB World Series since 2004 this year?  Golden State Warriors in the NBA?

But, please, continue on with “character assassination” and other such drivel...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, John W. said:

Criticizes the assassination of character.....proceeds to do the exact same thing by assassinating someone's character based upon where they live. I wonder why you have zero credibility or respect on this board.

2 hours ago, John W. said:

So with parity setting in, UND fans should expect parity when it comes to ticket prices, donation levels, and concession pricing?

If Berry believes in “culture and tradition” he would do the right thing. As another poster said he has lost this team/locker room. We don’t know all the crap that goes on but if some of the stuff that went on last year with all the infighting and crap. Berry should step down. Maybe Jost saw what was going on and helped him make his decision ? The tail cannot wag the dog, Berry preaches this program is bigger then one person, prove it.

8 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

in all reality, no BB will not be fired.

But Shaw will be, as he should be. He has failed mightily on the PP.

If Shaw isnt m fired and nothing changes, it will get reall !@#!$ with the donors real quick.

I think Shaw walks on his own after the year.  As basically a package deal, he kept his kid rostered and playing regularly for 4 years so his work at UND is done.  He will be back to being some assistant to the assistant in the NHL next year.  

8 hours ago, DAR said:

To wear the "business suits" against Canisius  is in and of itself embarassing...wow

Like I posted last night (in case you missed it), it’s akin to Notre Dame football busting out the green jerseys for a game against Akron.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Like I posted last night (in case you missed it), it’s akin to Notre Dame football busting out the green jerseys for a game against Akron.

Since it’s unlikely UND will make it to the Frozen Faceoff this year, should we honor your broomball team instead at the annual Hoggsbreath gathering?