SiouxSports.com Forum

Campus Closed

Vegas_Sioux

31 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Down Under, Sensations and Shangri-la was all under one roof. A bad winter's day haven back in the day. 

Nothing quite like coming out of Down Under after bucks and the sun is still shining, the kids are playing, and you're thinking "maybe I should have done a little more with my day...";)

• Upvote 1

On 1/29/2019 at 7:28 AM, Oxbow6 said:

They played HS hockey games in Bemidji for Hockey Day Minnesota with a temp of -27 to start the first game.

And at least one reported case of frostbite.  We have an employee in the region that I work in got frostbite in 6 minutes in the deicing bucket because the flight had to go. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, tnt said:

What is the standard?   -40?  -50?  -60?   If you stay outside a couple minutes longer -40 can kill you just like -50.   If you're going to determine what is acceptable, then create a standard.   Of course, then the schools would say we don't have any days left to give, so we need students to be there.   

I had to take work off on Tuesday because they canceled school for the whole district. They canceled Wednesday before 12 noon. The funny thing, I don't think it's much warmer today. It's still minus 34.

I agree, if you're not careful, it doesn't take much to freeze to death in this weather. 

19 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Nothing quite like coming out of Down Under after bucks and the sun is still shining, the kids are playing, and you're thinking "maybe I should have done a little more with my day...";)

Does anyone remember the buck pitcher tradition actually starting at the Mr. Spud or was I on too many hallucinogens?  

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Does anyone remember the buck pitcher tradition actually starting at the Mr. Spud or was I on too many hallucinogens?  

yes...the Spud...one of our buddies would go at noon to get a table...the rest of us showed up around 2 or 3.  It made that night's dinner at Wilkerson  almost edible.

2 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

Buck pitchers at the Spud from 11 a.m.-6 p.m.

Buck pitchers at the Bridge from 4 p.m.-7 p.m.

2-4-1's at the Antique from 7 p.m.-8 p.m.

….that is called a decent little warm up for Friday night

Also, does anyone else remember Thursday night the Spud had 35 centers.(mixed drinks)

7 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Also, does anyone else remember Thursday night the Spud had 35 centers.(mixed drinks)

Margarita night at Chi Chi's?

10 minutes ago, petey23 said:

10-4 on the $0.35'ers.  $2 burger and beer at Speedway on Saturday and start all over again!  

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, Old Fella said:

Google March 1966 Blizzard Grand Forks

Lived in the Tin Huts/snow covered many of them,

No school for many days,

Yah, school closed for several/many days I believe the GF Herald said so the "wussification" of America as one person posted started well before this week. :silly:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blackheart said:

Dead Give-aways at the Antique...not sure what night that was but it usually drew a pretty good crowd.

Mondays I believe.  Wednesday Long Island Teas at the Bridge, Barleycorn post 1988 or so,  Thursdays 35 cent drinks at the Spud, Fridays buck pitchers at the Spud, Crackers over the by Colony was fit into the week somewhere, academics optional.   

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Mondays I believe.  Wednesday Long Island Teas at the Bridge, Barleycorn post 1988 or so,  Thursdays 35 cent drinks at the Spud, Fridays buck pitchers at the Spud, Crackers over the by Colony was fit into the week somewhere, academics optional.   

Sounds like double-secret-probation to me. :)

Remember the saying in 1972 and prior "If you can go and die for your country, you should be able to have a beer", Vietnam era. Kinda of made sense to most, until it really happened.

In 1973, when Mn dropped the legal drinking age to 18, the biggest local crowds were in EGF.  UND crowd became of age overnight by crossing the Red River. EGF built to accommodate, and competition for business was teaching the kids (now adults) a lesson in capitalism - drink specials as eluded to in recent posts, and $1 pitchers, Antique had $.10 beer pours & 2 for 1's specials. Some bars in EGF would get so packed you could barely get out. ND side had even some 3 for 1 specials, lots of 2 for 1's, on and on. ND bars became more aggressive, were getting busted for serving minors, cops would walk in and immediately start checking cards on customers - fine under age customers.

There was a blizzard a few years back in Colorado Springs.  Barely anyone was out, but my friend that I met at UND and I went to a local bar. One other customer there so we started chatting. He was a UND grad too.  Not surprising the 3 people at a bar during a blizzard were from UND.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2