SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Signing Day GDT

geaux_sioux

20 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Who said a HS QB shouldn’t be the focus?

If referring to me, I simply said the focus should be either HS or drop down depending on who is more talented. Why not take the best player? QB position desperately needs a boost. 

Also, Zimmerman has no shot? 

Favorites are Ketteringham and Boltmann. Zimmerman will be in the mix but I’m afraid Grover’s ceiling is 2nd string. 

Very high on Grover? Just like Heidlebaugh and Bolinske? 

You are completely wrong on Grover -  maybe he doesn't ever start in the next four years, but coaches and players saw some intangibles that were a big surprise when he got to camp.  Zimmerman doesn't have the IT factor and never will.  Not a starter

How can anyone here have truly expected the staff to get a QB signed on Wednesday after losing a highly recruited one 7 days earlier?  They don't grow on trees especially a true FCS or BCS guy.  Probably looking JUCO and poaching a kid from a D2 school that was a borderline guy originally. Its going to take some time, I don't think there were guys lined up at the door to take take that spot when it opened up.   

And don't think that UND hasn't left the door open that if in a year or two it looks like he will never play at Texas Tech that he could transfer back to them.   Even the articles in Nebraska acknowledged that if it doesn't work out he will always have options.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Norhsidepride said:

How can anyone here have truly expected the staff to get a QB signed on Wednesday after losing a highly recruited one 7 days earlier?  They don't grow on trees especially a true FCS or BCS guy.  Probably looking JUCO and poaching a kid from a D2 school that was a borderline guy originally. Its going to take some time, I don't think there were guys lined up at the door to take take that spot when it opened up.   

And don't think that UND hasn't left the door open that if in a year or two it looks like he will never play at Texas Tech that he could transfer back to them.   Even the articles in Nebraska acknowledged that if it doesn't work out he will always have options.  

It's Texas State, not Texas Tech.  Not trying to nitpick, just saying the likelihood is good that he'll play there.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

You are completely wrong on Grover -  maybe he doesn't ever start in the next four years, but coaches and players saw some intangibles that were a big surprise when he got to camp.  Zimmerman doesn't have the IT factor and never will.  Not a starter

I predicted Grover will never start AND win. He is not good enough. You say here I am completely wrong but then basically agree with me. Strange ...

He may have the intangibles but that doesn't dispute my point: he won't start and win games. If he does, great! I just don't see that. Not enough arm talent or big play ability. 

Zimmerman played well at times in 2017 and was voted captain for 2018. I think that indicates who the players are actually behind. 

4 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

Cedric Case went to Texas State, not Texas Tech. Big difference. 

And people weren't expecting UND to have a QB signed and ready to go after losing Case, but rather were upset they lost a high-caliber long-time UND QB commit to a school from the Sun Belt Conference? Really?! The Sun Belt! 

41 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Cedric Case went to Texas State, not Texas Tech. Big difference. 

And people weren't expecting UND to have a QB signed and ready to go after losing Case, but rather were upset they lost a high-caliber long-time UND QB commit to a school from the Sun Belt Conference? Really?! The Sun Belt! 

Nit picking is fine! I knew it was Texas State - brain farted and typed Tech -   Well deserved criticism

My agreement with you that he may never start is not for the same reason..... he would not be ready for at least another year -  I think Freund is going to run a similar offense to what his former teammate Jake Landry has run and it will make UND a more attractive spot for a top JUCO or BCS transfer QB who is better to take over.   

I have gone back and watched the archived games with Zimmerman at QB - not the answer.  At the time he was voted Captain he was listed at number one on the depth chart - Not unusual for the projected starting QB to get that vote.  Reading into it as that is who the players are behind is stretching.  

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I predicted Grover will never start AND win. He is not good enough. You say here I am completely wrong but then basically agree with me. Strange ...

He may have the intangibles but that doesn't dispute my point: he won't start and win games. If he does, great! I just don't see that. Not enough arm talent or big play ability. 

Zimmerman played well at times in 2017 and was voted captain for 2018. I think that indicates who the players are actually behind. 

Not enough arm talent?  Have you seen him throw a football before?  I have many times and his arm is right up with the rest of them if not the best.

2 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

I have gone back and watched the archived games with Zimmerman at QB - not the answer.  At the time he was voted Captain he was listed at number one on the depth chart - Not unusual for the projected starting QB to get that vote.  Reading into it as that is who the players are behind is stretching.  

You think that is why Zimmerman was voted captain? 

Wow, that’s laughable. I can guarantee you it wasn’t because his teammates picked up the preseason depth chart and used it as a guide. 

Zimmerman is liked by his teammates and he had a shot in the competition. 

Ultimatley I think Ketteringham and Boltmann are the top 2 on the roster currently.