SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. DU

runaroundsioux

42 minutes ago, burd said:

Bull

Agree, we had the pedal to the metal late 3rd period and in most of the ot.  It took a deflection by Den to win it late.  I really think UND wanted it more or at least had most of the play late at least.  Sometimes it just comes to bounces (and lack of finishing).

• Upvote 2

The yon, weatherby, Johnson line is horrendous. They probably are better off just not playing them tonight. Berry needs to make some 3rd period line changes at some point this season. The Senden line was basically the only line all night to not get outworked. 

Things I noticed, the Gardner, guch, mash line does way to much coasting. They are always waiting for the puck and not going for it. Nobody on this line ever crashes the net. Mash could sit out a game or 2 and I did not think we would even noticed.

The hoff, jones, Keane line did ok. They had some really good looks that should've produced at least one goal. One fluke on Jones not clearing in the first for a goal.

Our defense is pretty solid. 28 almost had another deflection goal on him. That idiot needs to learn to not stand at the front corner side of the net. He could and should be benched at least once this year to send a message. To much lazy skating resulting in turnovers from him all season and poor clearing attempts.

Scheel is number 1 from here on out. 

If our other lines would give 110% like the senden line, this team would look completely different. 

Our pp, I have no idea what to do. They had one good one tonight. Watch that tape and learn. As someone said already, poolman needs to be on the other side for the pp

They have played a few games that they certainly deserved to lose (and did) but not tonight. I guess it evens out - probably deserved to lose last night. I'm mostly concerned about the lack of discipline. A few games ago when Bast and Mismash took dumb penalties on the same play and resulted in a 5 on 3 - and a goal of course. Kawaguchi's spear. Kierstad's spear. Gardner's three penalties this weekend. Those are the types of plays that will keep the team out of the playoffs.

Hain Senden Keane need to regulars moving forward. Smith was outstanding tonight. Mismash is playing like last year after missing the Juniors.......not good. Hoff is an Olympian but is not a top 6 guy. Jones struggled some tonight but great to have him back. Johnson........ufff. I'm a fan of Rieger. Skates really well. He needs more ice time. Not having a bonafide top line is this team's Achilles's heel. Solid defensively unless Shaw decides to kick one in. Scheel is positionally our best goalie since Dell. He'll be a flat out stud.

Play 120 minutes like this weekend in each series in the 2nd half of the season and this team will be playing in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

The yon, weatherby, Johnson line is horrendous. They probably are better off just not playing them tonight. Berry needs to make some 3rd period line changes at some point this season. The Senden line was basically the only line all night to not get outworked. 

Things I noticed, the Gardner, guch, mash line does way to much coasting. They are always waiting for the puck and not going for it. Nobody on this line ever crashes the net. Mash could sit out a game or 2 and I did not think we would even noticed.

The hoff, jones, Keane line did ok. They had some really good looks that should've produced at least one goal. One fluke on Jones not clearing in the first for a goal.

Our defense is pretty solid. 28 almost had another deflection goal on him. That idiot needs to learn to not stand at the front corner side of the net. He could and should be benched at least once this year to send a message. To much lazy skating resulting in turnovers from him all season and poor clearing attempts.

Scheel is number 1 from here on out. 

If our other lines would give 110% like the senden line, this team would look completely different. 

Our pp, I have no idea what to do. They had one good one tonight. Watch that tape and learn. As someone said already, poolman needs to be on the other side for the pp

Johnson is not good at forward. Loses too many battles. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

They have played a few games that they certainly deserved to lose (and did) but not tonight. I guess it evens out - probably deserved to lose last night. I'm mostly concerned about the lack of discipline. A few games ago when Bast and Mismash took dumb penalties on the same play and resulted in a 5 on 3 - and a goal of course. Kawaguchi's spear. Kierstad's spear. Gardner's three penalties this weekend. Those are the types of plays that will keep the team out of the playoffs.

In Gardner’s defense Benda and Voss were letting cross checks go all weekend up until he did it and then proceeded to let them go again. 

• Upvote 1

The team deserved a better fate last night.   Yes, some things could have been done better by a few players but with all the scratches considered, it was an encouraging weekend. 

UND goes back to Denver Super Bowl weekend and they need to get three points back now.  UND could be returning back to Denver again in mid-March.  It’s going to be a dogfight for home ice. 

45 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Time to bury Chelsea Dagger, it’s getting a little tired

I agree 100%. Find a new goal song and don't copy the Chicago Blackhawks. Create your own unique experience. And yes, let's bury this song it has played out.

I know that will upset a lot of older ticket holders at the rink though. Screw it, they don't run the music system. 

This team can't keep giving up own goals.......paging #28 and they can't keep giving up goals with seconds left in a period moving forward. In all my years of watching UND hockey I have never seen a team combine these two things as well as this team does.

11 hours ago, AJS said:

That was the first gut punch of the season. This isn't the first game they've lost that they probably deserved to win this year, but that they way they lost that one was heartbreaking. Hockey can be a cruel game.

It's funny that of the last three games, this one being the loss, it's after this game that I feel the most confident in this team. This team doesn't have and will always lack the top end talent offensively, but I really like where they could get to offensively when healthy. They won't ever be a great offense, but with the goaltending / defense they have, they could end up being a real solid team. The Smith / Senden / Hain line would be a fantastic 4th line. How I'd like to see it.

Mismash / Jones / Kawaguchi

JJ / Gardner / Adams

Hoff / Weatherby / Keane

Smith / Senden / Hain

That's not a bad forward group.

Not sure if Mismash should be on that line, that should be an energy line who gets after it and puts lots of forecheck pressure on the opposing teams. Hain- Senden- Smith should stay together for sure. Maybe switch Weatherby with Mismash, wing is where 14 should be not center. I agree with previous posters that Mismash and Shaw should see a game from the stands because right now they are greatly underperforming. No way a senior D man should make mistakes like he does, Friday instead of dangling that forward he puts  the puck behind his net to his partner and no goal. Mismash has that whoa is me thing again , go out and prove that commitee wrong don’t feel sorry for yourself. No way a second round pick should completely disappear for games at a time.

Hockey can be a funny game at times. UND should of lost Friday night and win last night. The better team doesn’t always win as we know but to have back to back games like that doesn’t happen to often. Scheel is the man though but I know he would want that first goal back last night. Other than that he was stellar all weekend

Listened on the radio on the way home, so didn't see highlights.  

The last 10 minutes of the 3rd period were broadcasting immortality by TH when UND was making a push to tie the game.  Thankfully Ole shut up a bit and let Tim do his thing.  I need to do the TV radio thing more often.  

5 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Time to bury Chelsea Dagger, it’s getting a little tired

5 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

I agree 100%. Find a new goal song and don't copy the Chicago Blackhawks. Create your own unique experience. And yes, let's bury this song it has played out.

I know that will upset a lot of older ticket holders at the rink though. Screw it, they don't run the music system. 

4 hours ago, franchise said:

How is it tired? It's not played very often

A recent poll found that only 7.3% of UND hockey fans are in favor of keeping Chelsea Dagger as the goal song, which is coincidentally the exact same rate of succes of the Fighting Hawks’ power play.

• Upvote 3