SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. DU

runaroundsioux

Didn't get the outcome tonight but thought overall it was a much better weekend of hockey from this team than what we have seen the majority of this year. Scheel made some big saves and was good again. He would've probably liked the 1st goal back but I'm more disappointed in the d-zone breakdown that leaves a guy open at the bottom of the circle especially that early in the game. This is the type of game where you need to come up with a powerplay goal and take advantage of your chances but the guys just couldn't convert on enough of them. Really thought Cole Smith played well tonight creating a lot of chances, hitting a post, and just really giving Denvers D a lot of trouble throughout the night. Get some guys healed up and play with some urgency right out of Christmas break. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

And the lack of any talent up front hurts again

You nailed it on the head, injuries to forwards be damned.  There's no way we should have been held scoreless until the 57th minute mark or lost that game had we had a few forwards who could finish/had more offensive creativity-skill.

That was the first gut punch of the season. This isn't the first game they've lost that they probably deserved to win this year, but that they way they lost that one was heartbreaking. Hockey can be a cruel game.

It's funny that of the last three games, this one being the loss, it's after this game that I feel the most confident in this team. This team doesn't have and will always lack the top end talent offensively, but I really like where they could get to offensively when healthy. They won't ever be a great offense, but with the goaltending / defense they have, they could end up being a real solid team. The Smith / Senden / Hain line would be a fantastic 4th line. How I'd like to see it.

Mismash / Jones / Kawaguchi

JJ / Gardner / Adams

Hoff / Weatherby / Keane

Smith / Senden / Hain

That's not a bad forward group.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AJS said:

That was the first gut punch of the season. This isn't the first game they've lost that they probably deserved to win this year, but that they way they lost that one was heartbreaking. Hockey can be a cruel game.

It's funny that of the last three games, this one being the loss, it's after this game that I feel the most confident in this team. This team does have and will always lack the top end talent offensively, but I really like where they could get to offensively when healthy. They won't ever be a great offense, but with the goaltending / defense they have, they could end up being a real solid team. The Smith / Senden / Hain line would be a fantastic 4th line. How I'd like to see it.

Mismash / Jones / Kawaguchi

JJ / Gardner / Adams

Hoff / Weatherby / Keane

Smith / Senden / Hain

That's not a bad forward group.

You put it well, AJS.  After we got to OT I was just hoping for the tie so could claim a good weekend at home but the way we were buzzing their net halfway thru the OT I thought WTH, get the win baby!  Not to be though, we settle for a split at home.  And it will be damn tough to get a sweep in Den, that just about never happens. Will just be hoping to salvage a split out there. 

11 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Didn't get the outcome tonight but thought overall it was a much better weekend of hockey from this team than what we have seen the majority of this year. Scheel made some big saves and was good again. He would've probably liked the 1st goal back but I'm more disappointed in the d-zone breakdown that leaves a guy open at the bottom of the circle especially that early in the game. This is the type of game where you need to come up with a powerplay goal and take advantage of your chances but the guys just couldn't convert on enough of them. Really thought Cole Smith played well tonight creating a lot of chances, hitting a post, and just really giving Denvers D a lot of trouble throughout the night. Get some guys healed up and play with some urgency right out of Christmas break. 

Good point about the PP.  This game is an example that separates cup winners from 4th place teams.  A PP goal per game puts conference points on the board when playing top tier teams.  

Sigh.

Other than that, solid defensive effort this weekend holding DU shot counts down.  Also, Senden/Hain/Smith...Kober nailed it, that line is all heart.  

I'm encouraged by our freshman class, and especially impressed with Scheel.  That kind of goalie can take you places.

GO SIOUX!

• Upvote 1

Someone recently posted the PP stats from years past and as we all know, it's never been good, that being said, the PP this year is on a entirely different level. It's hard to comprehend how it's this bad. I can confidently say, if they didn't practice it at all and the coaching staff said to the team, you guys figure it out, it wouldn't be any worse. It's not that they just don't score, it kills the momentum they have every time. 

Here's a guarantee, there will be a couple games in the second half where they will go something like 3 for 5 and 4 for 8, probably against Canisius and Omaha which will somewhat save the overall percentage (from being in the bottom 10 in the country). Others have said it, but it's the timely PP goals that you really need. Not the two they got in in a 6-2 loss to Western. 

41 minutes ago, crb1 said:

We have issues scoring that is for sure. However DU isn’t that great of a team either. UND should have had the sweep this weekend. 

Agree 100%.  DU is decent, for sure, but I think they're not St Cloud or Duluth.  I think in the NCHC it will be St Cloud, Duluth, WMU, then UND/Den fighting for 4th place in NCHC.