SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandelin vs Berry

gfhockey

40 minutes ago, burd said:

Records don't tell everything, but in Sandy's 18 full years at UMD, he has won 15 or fewer games seven times, less than 20 nine times, and has never won 30 or more.  Beginning his fourth year, when the team was all his, he won 15, 11, 13, and 13 the next four years.  His career at UMD has a LOT of mediocrity

In Berry's three full years, he has won 17, 21, and 34.  Not saying Berry is better than or as good as Sandy, but to be calling for his head in only his 4th year with those results is premature, to say the least. 

Those old teammates have respect from the league.

I wish gfhockey would go in and edit his initial post and give Berry a capital B in this threads heading?

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:49 AM, siouxkid12 said:

At least we were making it on a consistent basis. Unlike what we have now....

Amen.  Marv Levy and Bud Grant, who we all know lost multiple SBs, were arguably better coaches than T. Dungy and J. Gruden, regardless whether the latter two won SB titles.   

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:20 PM, southpaw said:

And if you get rid of last season he is 63-28-8. It's just as meaningless as taking away the championship season. 

I think his point though is a little more meaningful in that the 2016 team was really Hak's team while last season was obviously more so Berry's team.

10 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Per Schloss...

"Through all the ups and downs, UND now is the only team in the country with two wins over top-4 teams, and UND is the only team in the country with a win on the road over a top-4 team."

That stat, while nice, tells me then that overall (season as a whole) they're probably an average or slightly above average team.  Maddingly they sometimes look like world beaters and sometimes they've looked like they can't beat anybody (just 1 win in 6 games vs Bem St, Miami-OH, and W. Mich). 

8 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Hmm..., Mount Rushmore (and I'm not a Pats fan).

I guess this notion that "Bud Grant vs J. Gruden" isn't the only option??

"UND will never be able to have its take and eat it too. Its either constant winning with no Natty's or Crap teams all the time with one or two Nattys every decade!!"

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Sandelin vs Berry
12 hours ago, Cratter said:

I guess this notion that "Bud Grant vs J. Gruden" isn't the only option??

"UND will never be able to have its take and eat it too. Its either constant winning with no Natty's or Crap teams all the time with one or two Nattys every decade!!"

No doubt, preference would be somewhere in the middle.  Anyway, I would still take Bud.  This ain't a football blog/site but to be fair to Bud Grant, they were pretty much the best team NFC team for much of the 70s but lost 3 SBs to pretty damn good all-time teams in Miami, Pittsburgh, and Oakland so it was really no tragedy losing to them.  The KC loss though, ugh. 

46 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

No doubt, preference would be somewhere in the middle.  Anyway, I would still take Bud.  This ain't a football blog/site but to be fair to Bud Grant, they were pretty much the best team NFC team for much of the 70s but lost 3 SBs to pretty damn good all-time teams in Miami, Pittsburgh, and Oakland so it was really no tragedy losing to them.  The KC loss though, ugh. 

When they blocked Ray Guy's punt against Oakland, I thought it was going to be their year--nobody blocked Ray Guy.   But that good fortune didn't last long.