SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandelin vs Berry

gfhockey

On 12/1/2018 at 1:32 PM, shep said:

Not at all. He was a very good coach. 

I think Hak was a very good coach, but just couldn't win the BIG one. Not sure why, but the record speaks for itself.

Hak is 50 yrs old. You are talking like he is done coaching....

18 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

More likely than not, the best players play in the ushl.  It’s by far and away the toughest junior A league in NA.  Obviously there are high end players in the BC and other Canadian leagues too.  But from a depth perspective, it’s the ushl and nothing is really that close.

What happened to the SSM pipeline? Are the players there not good enough? I do like to see local players on the roster but when some of them are not that great, what's the point?

7 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

What happened to the SSM pipeline? Are the players there not good enough? I do like to see local players on the roster but when some of them are not that great, what's the point?

I am far from educated on the players or program there, but if I recall there was a coaching change that preceded the shriveling of the pipeline.   For clarity I am only speaking about the pipeline to UND, not to college programs, of that I know less than Rudy and tight end dynamics.

20 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I am far from educated on the players or program there, but if I recall there was a coaching change that preceded the shriveling of the pipeline.   For clarity I am only speaking about the pipeline to UND, not to college programs, of that I know less than Rudy and tight end dynamics.

Blais and Tom Ward were pretty tight.  

51 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

J.P. Parise was a coach and Director of Hockey at the school for 12 years.

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Hak would have lost to Michigan in the regionals and this thread would be title 'Sandelin Vs Hak'.  People want change until change happens, then they want they used to have.

Then these guys tend to show up on these threads...

1jOO.gif

...and we know exactly who they are.  

12 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well.....There is someplace you don't see this team in early December!!! 

standings.png

USCHO Division I Men's Poll - December 3, 2018

Still early, like you mention.

I don't see Miami, W Mich, Omaha, & CC on the bubble in today's poll. 

Duluth went down 2 spots and we went up 1 spot from last week. This split on the road was a W.

Road wins have more horsepower than home wins.

1 Massachusetts (26) 12-1-0    
2 St. Cloud State (22) 11-1-2    
3 Minnesota State (1) 12-2-0    
4 Minnesota Duluth (1) 10-3-1    
5 Notre Dame   10-4-1    
6 Denver   7-3-2    
7 Ohio State   9-4-3    
8 Quinnipiac   13-2-0    
9 Penn State   10-4-1    
10 Providence   8-4-3    
11 Union   8-3-2    
12 Bowling Green   10-3-2    
13 Northeastern   9-3-1    
14 North Dakota   8-6-1    

Reading this and the game thread reminded me of a stretch in, I believe, 2009 or 2010 when UND was swept at home by Michigan Tech and finished the first half at or below .500. Hak was pretty famous for lackluster first half teams. Yet there were people asking when the last time was that UND was blown out or swept during Hak's tenure. They did tend to figure things out in the second half though. Hopefully this UND team can rally around Saturday night and finish the half strong.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Well.....There is someplace you don't see this team in early December!!! 

standings.png

Doesn't really matter at this point. I'm more concerned with that picture in March. We got off to way slower starts under Hak, and were just fine. Not saying I expect a late season run of Hak fashion. I expect a split in Denver and then a solid start to 2019, with getting some guys back.

The only game I saw where we were truly terrible was the 2nd W Michigan game. We played well on Friday, just ended up on the wrong side of the score, but were the far better team. Saturday was a mess.

Friday against Duluth was bad, yes; but they are a very talented team. And the whole game was not such the breakdown, as was the second period. The team needs to learn to play a full three periods.

8-6-1 is not bad, but leaves room for improvement. 2 wins over top 4 teams, tells me this team has what it needs, but needs to find consistency. A split should be the hope on the road against a good Denver team, but if you can somehow steal a sweep, a lot of people will be singing a different tune.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fully sold on Berry yet, and we will see how he gets his team to respond in the 2nd half of the season, but I'm not quitting on this team at the beginning of December with a winning record.

On 12/1/2018 at 8:18 AM, gfhockey said:

I was told someone banged another ones girl. Then the other guy turned around and banged the guys mom who banged his banged his girlfriend. 

On 12/1/2018 at 8:42 AM, gfhockey said:

I was told someone banged another ones girl. Then the other guy turned around and banged the guys mom who banged his banged his girlfriend. 

I'm not sure which of the Forum guidelines (shown below) those posts violated, but, to be succinct: Knock it off. (<-- There's an implied "or else" with that.) 

• No "Troll" posts. Posts whose sole purpose is to taunt or generate anger are not allowed. Such judgments will be made at the sole discretion of the moderating staff.
      • No revealing private information about others (without their consent or their having already revealed it)

9 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND now is the only team in the country with two wins over top-4 teams.

And is the only team to have played 4 games against two top four teams?

The good old days when UND use to brag about being a top four team. Now we brag about beating Mankato!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

And is the only team to have played 4 games against two top four teams?

The good old days when UND use to brag about being a top four team. Now we brag about beating Mankato!

Who's bragging? It's a positive sign that we can play and beat the top teams in the country, as many fans have had their doubts this year.

Records don't tell everything, but in Sandy's 18 full years at UMD, he has won 15 or fewer games seven times, less than 20 nine times, and has never won 30 or more.  Beginning his fourth year, when the team was all his, he won 15, 11, 13, and 13 the next four years.  His career at UMD has a LOT of mediocrity

In Berry's three full years, he has won 17, 21, and 34.  Not saying Berry is better than or as good as Sandy, but to be calling for his head in only his 4th year with those results is premature, to say the least. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, burd said:

Records don't tell everything, but in Sandy's 18 full years at UMD, he has won 15 or fewer games seven times, less than 20 nine times, and has never won 30 or more.  Beginning his fourth year, when the team was all his, he won 15, 11, 13, and 13 the next four years.  His career at UMD has a LOT of mediocrity

In Berry's three full years, he has won 17, 21, and 34.  Not saying Berry is better than or as good as Sandy, but to be calling for his head in only his 4th year with those results is premature, to say the least. 

A little perspective, refreshing