SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandelin vs Berry

gfhockey

After two years of mediocrity (barely making / missing the playoffs), the wheels are off. Not only won’t they make the playoffs again, but this time it won’t be close. UND hockey is embarrassing. 

Two years in a row of not making the playoffs is just inexcusable at UND. Do I think it’s a talent issue, yes, but that’s the most important part of college sports is recruiting that talent. He may or may not be a bad coach, but he has put this program where it’s at by his recruiting choices (JUNIOR CLASS).

Do I want him gone? Yes. Does he deserve to be gone? Yes. Will he be? No. 

The only positive thing that can come out of this is if he learns you need talent to complete. He needs to ditch whatever philosophy he has and get talent. Judging by next years class it’s starting to sink in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

While I’m not a fan of Berry as head coach, how long would a coach last at UND that has a career record of slightly above .500 ?  In addition has put up consecutive season records of 15-17-6, 11-25-3, 13-21-5, 13-17-6.   Also, in 18 seasons has never won a conference regular season title ?

2 hours ago, AJS said:

After two years of mediocrity (barely making / missing the playoffs), the wheels are off. Not only won’t they make the playoffs again, but this time it won’t be close. UND hockey is embarrassing. 

Two years in a row of not making the playoffs is just inexcusable at UND. Do I think it’s a talent issue, yes, but that’s the most important part of college sports is recruiting that talent. He may or may not be a bad coach, but he has put this program where it’s at by his recruiting choices (JUNIOR CLASS).

Do I want him gone? Yes. Does he deserve to be gone? Yes. Will he be? No. 

The only positive thing that can come out of this is if he learns you need talent to complete. He needs to ditch whatever philosophy he has and get talent. Judging by next years class it’s starting to sink in.

How many of the junior class were actually Berry recruits?

9 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

How many of the junior class were actually Berry recruits?

3; Ludvig Hoff, Casey Johnson, and Cole Smith.

It's easy to pin this on one class, but the issues I think run deeper.  Hak & company were very good at recruiting "teams".  Not all classes were star-studded under Hak, but each served a purpose.  Hak also seemed to know how to get everything he could out of these types of players, whereas they haven't grown or developed in their time under Berry.  We'll never know whether they just aren't that good or if the coaching isn't aiding their development.  If you read between the lines, it doesn't sound like the locker room is all-in together so far this season, something that you never heard of under Hak.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, rochsioux said:

While I’m not a fan of Berry as head coach, how long would a coach last at UND that has a career record of slightly above .500 ?  In addition has put up consecutive season records of 15-17-6, 11-25-3, 13-21-5, 13-17-6.   Also, in 18 seasons has never won a conference regular season title ?

How many UND coaches not been coaching a blue blood program? UMD isn't one...they never have been.  I hardly watch hockey and know that.  If I know that, you do too bud.

Lou Holtz won 1 conference title in like 10 years at Arkansas and Minnesota...turns out the dude rocked....he made these teams relevant.

4 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I was told someone banged another ones girl. Then the other guy turned around and banged the guys mom who banged his banged his girlfriend. 

A whole lotta banging going on. Hope they are using protection. 

So instead of Peyton Place we can call the is current team Berry Place?

8 hours ago, Big Lubowski said:

Another effing “locker room problem” year?  How many of those can we have? Good coaches don’t allow that to happen 

Please tell me there aren’t legitimate locker room issues again this year?