SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

The majority of people in Grand Forks that are familiar with the program, will tell you that Chase isn't regarded very highly when it comes to his coaching ability.  He was successful for years because most of the talent was at RR.  That being said, there's more to this than just some kids/parents bitching to the AD......that's been going on for years with Chase.  Something more happened here for this to occur right before EDC instead of waiting for after the season.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Sorry hockey parents, but overall you guys are the  worst group, it’s a wonder we still have coaches voluntarily wanting to coach and officials willing to work anymore.  Parents of all sports are creating a shortage of officials and coaches willing to volunteer,  but sorry hockey moms and dads you guys top the list!

100% agreed. A youth hockey game can be an absolutely nasty environment.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Sorry hockey parents, but overall you guys are the  worst group, it’s a wonder we still have coaches voluntarily wanting to coach and officials willing to work anymore.  Parents of all sports are creating a shortage of officials and coaches willing to volunteer,  but sorry hockey moms and dads you guys top the list!

This is the hard truth.  I coached high school....parents terrible....  Quit coaching and teaching and got into officiating to help our youth program.....parents terrible.....

The last game I ever reffed was a 12U girls game that turned into a travesty when two girls hit each other head on with both their heads down going for a loose puck.  

God I hope I don't turn into one of those parents....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

You mean not every kid is going to make it to the next level?!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheFlop said:

The majority of people in Grand Forks that are familiar with the program, will tell you that Chase isn't regarded very highly when it comes to his coaching ability.  He was successful for years because most of the talent was at RR.  That being said, there's more to this than just some kids/parents bitching to the AD......that's been going on for years with Chase.  Something more happened here for this to occur right before EDC instead of waiting for after the season.

Considering you thought Hakstol was a bad coach, he should be glad of your characterization. 

6 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Bill is such a great person, but the south end pressure from Central's success has won over?

Gotta be somethin else.  Bill is a great guy and and GF has always ebbed and flowed between the two programs.  Had Paranica (former Sioux player) not got that job RR would continue to dominate.

8 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

100% agreed. A youth hockey game can be an absolutely nasty environment.

Parent/ coaches even worse....

What I've witnessed this year from parent/coaches is shocking ...even for an experienced youth coach.

Coaches berating young officials, calling opposing teams skater.. "fat ass".. a 12 year old .... being called names by a grown grossly obese peewee coach.... my god...... 

coaches confronting kids in handshake lines... young coaches riling up players to go out and "take out" players ... 

its so so so bad... i almost want to put closed circut cams above every bench in every arena. Maybe if these coaches knew their actions and screaming was recorded.. maybe it would help.

To be fair there are some really good people out there donating a lot of time energy effort and emotion in making kids better people and better hockey players.... but

those bad apples,  absolutely embarrassing..... boarding criminal.

It's a great thing that GF/EGF players have committed to and played for UND Hockey.

At the same time, it's also the worst thing that could have happened to GF youth hockey.  Now these parents see that the Bowen's, Poolman's, Caulfield's, etc have made it to the top so why can't their kid?  Hence the paranoia.