SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2018-19

MoSiouxFan

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

There really should be a Class B in hockey 

This is actually something that can be agreed on.

It wont happen... why would schools spend the money when they can get clubs to foot the bill for it as jr gold teams.  the NDHSAA and schools will continue to not support hockey growth and maintain the status quo to push as many of the current "also ran" programs (HB, MPCG, Bott, .. Dx?. Williston?)  that direction.. imo.

Im not even sure that would be such a bad outcome .....( Would be a very competitive league.. i.e. fun) but the kids are the ones hurt and robbed of opportunities until something happens.

Talking with some of the parents, they are very happy with their season. They wish they could get more ND teams to schedule them. They did get Williston's varsity team this year, other than that only JV will commit from ND. I think they would fit in pretty good out west.  I think its funny how they get poked fun of for the different communities it takes to make the coop up. You don't hear about the outlying towns in the Grafton/PR or Devils Lake coop's. I would guess those are almost as long. :D 

5 minutes ago, Dakota Dingers said:

Talking with some of the parents, they are very happy with their season. They wish they could get more ND teams to schedule them. They did get Williston's varsity team this year, other than that only JV will commit from ND. I think they would fit in pretty good out west.  I think its funny how they get poked fun of for the different communities it takes to make the coop up. You don't hear about the outlying towns in the Grafton/PR or Devils Lake coop's. I would guess those are almost as long. :D 

Are Valley City kids still playing for Jamestown?
I'm guessing Beulah-Hazen and Bottineau have "reach" like that also. 

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm guessing Beulah-Hazen and Bottineau have "reach" like that also. 

Bottineau already co-ops with Rugby.

6 hours ago, Dakota Dingers said:

Watford City was scheduled to go NDHSAA in hockey.  They may have the nicest rink for a HS team.  They could co-op with Sidney Mt for numbers.

Crosby and Langdon are the only other non-cities that play Jr Gold.

SD teams are relatively decent, maybe at the level of Mandan, but that state HS league still hasn’t authorized hockey.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:23 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Have to give Mayville-Portland-CG-Hillsboro-CV-Hatton-Northwood-Finley-Sharon a shoutout for going 11-2-1 so far.  Granted, they have played some JV teams, but their Minnesota record against teams like Morris-Benson, Bagley-Fosston, Ely, and Moose Leake is like 6-2, if one counts a loss to Wahp-Breck as a Minnesota school.  Hallock was their other loss

http://ndhighschoolhockey.com/NorthDakotaBoysHighSchoolHockey/teampage.aspx?teamid=2235

There really should be a Class B in hockey and only enrollments over 800 should be eligible for Class A.

Wahp-Breck competes in Section 6 in Minnesota. So they are a Minnesota school.  Section used to be garbage but has gotten better in recent years with St Cloud Cathedral and now Alexandria.  Still some of worst teams in Minnesota are in that section.  For whatever reason the highway 10 area schools and south of that have never gotten into hockey.  I suppose wrestling is much bigger in those areas.

I've heard that the Mayville mashup has talked playing Minnesota side as well as I believe they have Climax kids on team???  Obviously better chance to make state on ND side but I guess lots more beatable schools on Minnesota side. 

26 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Legacy will take care of that. 

Sarcasm? Splitting 2 schools into 3 is going to make things even worse. 

3 hours ago, sioux rube said:

I have never seen the west look this weak before. Just horrible from what I’ve seen. I mean Devils Lake took down Bismarck 3-1. Minot is a shell of itself. Only legit team is Century and that’s iffy. 

Never seen the West look this weak before? There have been many seasons in a row where the East has swept the west in easy fashion, at least this season Century should battle with the #4 east team. I think the East has swept more often than not. 

I am very very disappointed in Minot. With a school that size, and a traditionally decent hockey town, how are they producing and performing so poorly?! I had high hopes for them and Dickinson and they are not showing up at all so far. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Sarcasm? Splitting 2 schools into 3 is going to make things even worse. 

Never seen the West look this weak before? There have been many seasons in a row where the East has swept the west in easy fashion, at least this season Century should battle with the #4 east team. I think the East has swept more often than not. 

I am very very disappointed in Minot. With a school that size, and a traditionally decent hockey town, how are they producing and performing so poorly?! I had high hopes for them and Dickinson and they are not showing up at all so far. 

Watched Dickinson lose to Jamestown in overtime last night. Jays goalie stole one as he has a few times this season. Dickinson has a few pretty good players. I heard Minot had 5 players quit to play juniors. Not sure where but I also saw them play and they are way down. Century may be the only team winning a first round game but that’s not a given. 

Top GF kids... one team play MN high school league.... If even possible ...

ND Class AA

GFC

GFRR

Fargo S/S

Fargo N

Fargo Davis

WF 

WF Sheyenne

Minot

Bismarck High

Bismarck Century

ND Class A

Williston

Watford

Dickinson

Mandan

Hazen / Beulah 

Jamestown

Bottineau/Rugby

Langdon

Grafton / PR

Mayport / Alphabet

Devils Lake

Northwood

Crosby

Bis High JV

Bis Century JV

GF Central JV 

GF Rr JV 

Bismarck Legacy ( until established, with intent to move into AA with one other western program that can prove commitment to compete)

22 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

When/if this happens,I was more confident of it happening a couple of years ago, schools won't have teams in both divisions.

With out the jv teams its a perfect 10 team class and a 14 team classes... eventually 12 and 12.

This wont happen, its just what needs to happen.

Just now, Frozen4sioux said:

This wont happen, its just what needs to happen.

I love the idea, I just think it's a long shot unfortunately. Also, there will have to be a little shuffling of teams going A vs AA based off of competitiveness vs size. Grafton and DL certain years would throttle the A class, and some years FN, FSS, WF and WFS would get throttled in AA. As much as I'd like to see Williston and Dickinson in the AA, they just haven't had the teams to prove it in the last 10 years and that also adds to the travel big time. 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Top GF kids... one team play MN high school league.... If even possible ...

ND Class AA

GFC

GFRR

Fargo S/S

Fargo N

Fargo Davis

WF 

WF Sheyenne

Minot

Bismarck High

Bismarck Century

ND Class A

Williston

Watford

Dickinson

Mandan

Hazen / Beulah 

Jamestown

Bottineau/Rugby

Langdon

Grafton / PR

Mayport / Alphabet

Devils Lake

Northwood

Crosby

Bis High JV

Bis Century JV

GF Central JV 

GF Rr JV 

Bismarck Legacy ( until established, with intent to move into AA with one other western program that can prove commitment to compete)

Like this.

Legacy, a new WF HS, and maybe a Minot HS may be coming aboard.

With another class, maybe B St Mary's or schools like B Shiloh Christian or Minot Ryan can start teams.

11 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Like this.

Legacy, a new WF HS, and maybe a Minot HS may be coming aboard.

With another class, maybe B St Mary's or schools like B Shiloh Christian or Minot Ryan can start teams.

No there will not be a new team in Minot, the legacy and wf new are realities.

The catholics will NEVER start their own programs.. not at any level.  Not ever. Never. Worst prognosticarion in any of your 200 pages

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

The catholics will NEVER start their own programs.. not at any level.  Not ever. Never. Worst prognosticarion in any of your 200 pages

So Shanley and St Mary's didn't have their own teams?  Fake news.

The Fargo Angels are set up by the Catholic parents if I’m not mistaken.

Catholic schools in ND basically have had major donors now and in the past who pay for ice time.

Two divisions adds another opportunity, playing the big schools will end demoralization, and enhances enrollment.

5 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

I played against Shanley and St Mary’s in the late 70’s. Shanley was our big rival back then. Games got nasty at times. 

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So Shanley and St Mary's didn't have their own teams?  Fake news.

The Fargo Angels are set up by the Catholic parents if I’m not mistaken.

Catholic schools in ND basically have had major donors now and in the past who pay for ice time.

Two divisions adds another opportunity, playing the big schools will end demoralization, and enhances enrollment.

No thebprivates will never happen again. And it not just no, but...No.

the current high school teams.... the last thing they want is to dilute the talent further, where would ice time come from.

If you knew anything at all about all this that is the #1 factor in growth inhibitor  There isnt a potential town that has enough ice to spare to add much more. Ice facilities are some of the lowest prioritized growth areas for parks and rec depts. New facilities are not easy to come by....

Unless of course maybe you think those Fargo privates could use Sunmart Arena for their games..... 

The additions of more teams in some towns have pushed 11 year olds to practicing till 10:30 at night. This is a factor that gets worse by adding teams in cities that have privates that funnel into the hs programs now. No way enough money or interest to justify their own facilities... no way. Cant happen in this day and age and environment.

7 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

No thebprivates will never happen again. And it not just no, but...No.

the current high school teams.... the last thing they want is to dilute the talent further, where would ice time come from.

If you knew anything at all about all this that is the #1 factor in growth inhibitor  There isnt a potential town that has enough ice to spare to add much more. Ice facilities are some of the lowest prioritized growth areas for parks and rec depts. New facilities are not easy to come by....

Unless of course maybe you think those Fargo privates could use Sunmart Arena for their games..... 

The additions of more teams in some towns have pushed 11 year olds to practicing till 10:30 at night. This is a factor that gets worse by adding teams in cities that have privates that funnel into the hs programs now. No way enough money or interest to justify their own facilities... no way. Cant happen in this day and age and environment.

You talk as if the Jr Gold programs in the larger city just play outdoors and hockey boosters don’t support them.  A second smaller class could take over the almost entire Jr Gold schedule.

The Jr Gold programs can be taken over by private schools and those schools would see an enrollment growth.  Recognize there is are problems (like hockey players would need to project who gets cut if they wants playing time) to overcome that, but you didn’t even know about St Mary’s program so can’t expect you to know much.