SiouxSports.com Forum

WR and OL Coaches

FlinFlan80

7 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Weston Dressler seems to be at the end of his playing career. I would be thrilled if he was hired to coach the receivers.

I talked to his brother at Homecoming  - he thought Weston would likely retire after this season but he may decide to play one more year. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Player21 said:

Danny and Weston are very close friends, not out of the realm of possibilities if Weston is done playing.

That would be amazing, but I see WD more as a guy that spends a few weeks in GF advising compared to taking a full time position.  UNLESS, he has coaching aspirations, then gotta start somewhere!!

Playing WR doesn't necessarily mean you are a good coach.  Sure you know how to play the position, but coaching that position is a whole new ballgame.  Dressler has a degree in Business Management, so I am not sure of his coaching abilities.  He is a great receiver, but a complete unknown as far as coaching is concerned. 

21 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Playing WR doesn't necessarily mean you are a good coach.  Sure you know how to play the position, but coaching that position is a whole new ballgame.  Dressler has a degree in Business Management, so I am not sure of his coaching abilities.  He is a great receiver, but a complete unknown as far as coaching is concerned. 

Coach Moglia has a degree in Economics and master in Education.  Seems to work out fine as a coach.  I'm not sure if he even played college football.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I see your point and I had college teammates that were great players that I wouldn't hire as a high school coach, but if Weston is interested in coaching he would be a huge hire for Danny.  Weston is notoriously known for his work ethic and knowledge of the game, can't ask for more from a coach, Weston has forgotten more about the art of being a wide receiver than Danny has learned during his WR coaching tenure and Danny was a pretty good WR coach.  I would be more hesitant to hire Weston to manage a business, in reference to his degree, than coach at the college level, football has been his life since 2004 when he joined the UND football team, but knowing Weston he would probably be a very good business manager as well!

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Rudolph had a lot of prior coaching, so you never know.  For a position coach it certainly helps to know the position inside and out, and having that extra level of competition expands that even further.  Just have to make sure he wouldn't teach illegal motion, having played so much in the CFL.:wink: As far as personality, there aren't many other guys I would want in a recruits living room, as he is genuine in his North Dakota nice.

• Upvote 3

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4298782-former-und-star-weston-dressler-finding-his-groove-winnipeg

Freund, who is currently the wide receivers coach at UND and Dressler's college quarterback, recently attended a Bombers practice and toured the stadium with Dressler.

He said he'll quit playing football when it's not fun anymore. When his playing days are over, Dressler might try coaching.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

Article is 16 months old, but relevant.  One other thing noted in the article I found pretty crazy was this:

Dressler, who played at UND as a true freshman in 2004 and was the first to do that since star tight end Jim Kleinsasser in 1995

Now we seem to burn a few redshirts every year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Both Danny Freund and Joel "Slappy" Schwenzfeier got their degrees in Business/Finance areas.

And Carl Reinholz played receiver in college.

7 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Article is 16 months old, but relevant.  One other thing noted in the article I found pretty crazy was this:

Now we seem to burn a few redshirts every year.

Is that a UND thing or do you think many schools are doing that?

20 minutes ago, shep said:

Is that a UND thing or do you think many schools are doing that?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's increased everywhere due to grad transfer rules and improvements in high school weight training. But UND has also had poor depth at certain positions contributing to it. 

• UNDBIZ changed the title to WR and OL Coaches