SiouxSports.com Forum

Hextall out in Philly

SiouxSherm94

16 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Speculation is that if ownership thought Hak should go, he would be gone too. Assistant(s) will probably shuffle, but it seems likely that Hak will have some more time yet. But this shows they want to win now, and are done playing the slow game. If they get him some better pieces, and they still don't win a series, Hak will presumably be next.

He’s in year four of a two million dollar a year contract. I can’t imagine the Flyers are hurting for money. But, maybe they don’t want to eat his contract. They really need a serviceable goalie. 

• Upvote 1

flyers blew a 3rd period lead again last nightband lost to ottowa....

seems almost tooooooo convenient for the fire hak crowd of which i suspect many of the players to be 

philly needs not a rebuild but an entire rebirth, move the team to Quebec and let them expansion draft and theyd be closer to contending.... 

1 hour ago, Frozen4sioux said:

flyers blew a 3rd period lead again last nightband lost to ottowa....

seems almost tooooooo convenient for the fire hak crowd of which i suspect many of the players to be 

philly needs not a rebuild but an entire rebirth, move the team to Quebec and let them expansion draft and theyd be closer to contending.... 

Yep, blowing a 3-1 lead with 6:00 left in the game and losing 4-3 won't help him.  I fully expect Hakstol to be out of a job by noon today. 

8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm just stunned that PHI hasn't figured out what their core issue is.  (Hint: look at what's in blue paint area on ice)

I think they knew what the problem was. They just didn't do a good job of fixing it. Holmgren wants to win now and trade prospects from their now deep farm system while Hextall who rebuilt their farm system didn't want to do that. They had used 5 goalies in their first 23 games. They have their goalie of the future in 20 year Carter Hart playing his first season in the AHL right now and don't want to rush him to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think they knew what the problem was. They just didn't do a good job of fixing it. Holmgren wants to win now and trade prospects from their now deep farm system while Hextall who rebuilt their farm system didn't want to do that. They had used 5 goalies in their first 23 games. They have their goalie of the future in 20 year Carter Hart playing his first season in the AHL right now and don't want to rush him to the NHL.

At this point they shouldn't rush Hart, as he's been pretty bad in the AHL. They really needed to get a true number one G or at least a serviceable backup. No clue why they extended Neuvirth with such terrible stats, or thought Elliott would be able to will his body through 50+ games. Poor planning there.

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So your team winning the Grand Forks Central “C” Mite Jamboree in 1968 makes you a better hockey player/coach than Hakstol...got it.

His team didn’t win it but they played the team that won it. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:15 AM, John W. said:

Love how the 'small minded' attack on a personal basis....and not merit based.....speaks volumes about their 'own self image'...…...They Love to attack other schools, fans, etc.....but can't accept the reality of UND's shortfalls....especially when it involves their 'tender babe'-ice hockey…..Hakstol has never won the 'big game' as a player or coach....that's reality.....

So winning one national championship followed by years of crappy seasons trumps 10+ years of consistent play and always putting us in a good position to win. I'm sorry but I'll take consistent play over 1 natty and years of missing the tournament. 

When your only argument is "hak hasn't won the big game as a player or coach", you really lose credibility to anyone who actually knows anything about hockey. Get out of here with your one point argument that has no point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Yep, blowing a 3-1 lead with 6:00 left in the game and losing 4-3 won't help him.  I fully expect Hakstol to be out of a job by noon today. 

On a very suprising turn of events...

Philly ownership fired the assistant GM, stated on the advice of Hak fired a long time assistant coach 

AND stated that no additional personnel changes would occur in the near future...

2 possibilities IMHO....

1 they have more faith in Hak than we think or 

2 Queneville declined the offer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

So winning one national championship followed by years of crappy seasons trumps 10+ years of consistent play and always putting us in a good position to win. I'm sorry but I'll take consistent play over 1 natty and years of missing the tournament. 

When your only argument is "hak hasn't won the big game as a player or coach", you really lose credibility to anyone who actually knows anything about hockey. Get out of here with your one point argument that has no point.

THIS. 1000 times this.... Of people who actually know hockey ......Hak is extreamly respected. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, sioux rube said:

Rick Wilson to Philly is done. The former UND defenseman and longtime NHL assistant coach will replace Gord Murphy as Flyers assistant under Dave Hakstol. Wilson to join team this week.

Forty years ago (whoa), Rick Wilson was one of the assistant coaches teaching skating as a PE credit.   If he could teach me backward crossovers, he can teach anyone anything.   

Certainly as Chuck Fletcher was looking around for someone to fix the D at Philly, with Rick Wilson on board, that component of their team play will be fine.  Now if they can fix their goaltending ... 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It'll be interesting to see if the rumors are true and Hakstol is coaching his last game as a Flyer right now.

Makes the playoffs two out of three years and he's the problem. That team made a series of bad decisions way before Hak showed up.