SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

This statistic is meaningless unless you factor in the game situation - there is a big difference between a desperation 4th and 17 at the end of the game or one last shot right before half and, for example, the 4th and 1 on the Washington 40 yard line when we are still in the game and driving.  I think most fans and even football experts would agree that he's turtled multiple times when he should have gone for it.  My comment was in reply to someone who said "be aggressive.  Go for a program changing win".  In my opinion, that's so not Bubba.  I am not saying go for it on every 4th down, but your statistic doesn't even come close to painting the correct picture.  

I don't disagree but since you want to get into detail about the game situation, then you need to take into account the odds off UND actually converting those 2 yards with how the game had been going to that point and how the defense had been playing. The O-line was being pushed backwards the whole game and the QB/RB were being met by multiple defenders in the backfield pretty much every snap. I'm not saying I agree with the decision to punt (I would have used whatever 2 point conversion play they probably had in their back pocket) but I also see why the coach had zero confidence in actually converting on it and opted to punt considering NAU had 1 first down in their last 8 possessions.

So by punting we were hoping our defense would stop them and force them to punt. I think they have one of the best punters in the country. Best case scenario we got one last shot and probably have to go 60  or 70 yards to score and get a 2 point conversion.  I would rather go for it and maybe have 2 possessions 

So no more "buck right face sucker X glance"*? 

*"Hey! It's a glance! Right, he just about pulled the trigger on you there."  ... Um, yes Coach Rudolph, the trigger was finally pulled. 

• Upvote 2

Maybe I'm too simplistic, but I'd be happy if the playbook came from here (starts on 37/53 of the PDF) but the team executed each play flawlessly every time: no missed assignments, no false starts, no overthrows, no drops. 

I'm pretty sure Red Group (4) plays 5 and 6 have not been in the UND playbook for at least half a decade. ;) 

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I guess I am just really frustrated with the Football situation right now.  Bubba knew what was on the line at this time last year and made zero changes and was not held to account.    Now here we are, hiring from within and Bubba will certainly be Bubba again next year.  When you stack on the Bubba years to the Muss years we have been floundering for a long time and seem allergic to changing much.   How long do we have to be a .500 program before the light goes on somewhere?

you don't think he was trying to win?    Careful what you ask for,  More coaches lose than win.  You could go from 6 or 7 wins a year to 2 in the blink of an eye.  Coaching changes don't always equal more wins. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

So no more "buck right face sucker X glance"*? 

*"Hey! It's a glance! Right, he just about pulled the trigger on you there."  ... Um, yes Coach Rudolph, the trigger was finally pulled. 

If I recall correctly ...

On 10/12/2018 at 6:19 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

His poor players don't know either because they apparently ran it incorrectly. 

A lot of complex terminology for an offense that doesn't produce much ... (i.e., that's bad). 

On 10/12/2018 at 6:49 PM, shep said:

So you'd expect something more like "Button hook on 2, ready BREAK!"

On 10/12/2018 at 11:52 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

No. I expect a competent offense that correctly utilizes it’s personnel and actually scores points.

Nice stretch by you, though. How is Uncle Paul doing these days? 

I'm sure @shep is going to really miss Paul Rudolph's (aka Uncle Paul's) beautiful offense ... 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

you don't think he was trying to win?    Careful what you ask for,  More coaches lose than win.  You could go from 6 or 7 wins a year to 2 in the blink of an eye.  Coaching changes don't always equal more wins. 

I have no doubt that Bubba wants to win and is very loyal to UND.  That, however, does not make him a good coach.  I am really frustrated with his stubborn lack of change and the fact he kept everyone after last year.  Apparently he has to be forced to change anything and then looks in-house.  Bubba is a career .500 coach and has 5 years here to prove himself.  I think Bubba is so hard-wired he is almost constitutionally incapable of change.  If not we would perhaps have made a half-time adjustment or two.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Irish said:

Apparently he has to be forced to change anything and then looks in-house. 

Yeah, this narrative isn't accurate. The call was Bubba's, the AD isn't micromanaging the staff of his head coaches, he's letting them own their decisions. 

49 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, this narrative isn't accurate. The call was Bubba's, the AD isn't micromanaging the staff of his head coaches, he's letting them own their decisions. 

You sound like you're in the know more than me - another question then - how much does Bubba manage his staff - Is the offense Rudy, Bubba, or a combo of both.  Does Bubba get involved when things go off the rails or just let the coaches do their thing.  It's hard to know who is responsible for what, but in my book it comes down to Bubba - 

59 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The AD isn't micromanaging, no one has accused him of that.

At the same time, I would be hard pressed to believe that the AD did't have a conversation with Bubba about the health of the FB program? 

In short a face to face like; "Bubba you have a few years left on your contract, I have to move forward with you. The team took a slide the last 2 years. We now need a shake up, or we could lose the fans and financial support we gained in the last few years. We need to put some team health and fan energizing excitement on the table. Say hi to Laura for me."

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To think the new AD didn't say anything to Bubba prior to the coaching changes after the NAU and season debacle is very naive.......very naive.

When players outwardly were expressing to Bubba their frustration in his convervative approach and lack of willingness to "go for it" as the season went along and ended....well pretty sure someone else stepped in.

Significantly different than forcing a change or doing something Bubba was against. Of course it was discussed with Chaves, no one has claimed anything different and I don't think a coach is going to let people go without discussing it with his boss. But there was no ultimatum or taking the choice out of the head coach's hand and forcing him into something. 

Hell, the offense was actually running pretty well through the Sac St game and then cracks started to appear against Weber, who is a good defensive team. Despite some issues, not sure how anyone could have really argued for a change until after Idaho at the earliest and that was when they were shorthanded and still on a path to the playoffs. 

For the record, I fully support the changes made and were the exact ones I predicted when the season ended. 

14 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

To think the new AD didn't say anything to Bubba prior to the coaching changes after the NAU and season debacle is very naive.......very naive.

When players outwardly were expressing to Bubba their frustration in his convervative approach and lack of willingness to "go for it" as the season went along and ended....well pretty sure someone else stepped in.

Absolute Bull****   No one told him to do it,  He knew it had to be done just like everyone else.  The ridiculousness of the comments on here are getting out of hand.  Apply for the job next time it opens and see how you do.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

Absolute Bull****   No one told him to do it,  He knew it had to be done just like everyone else.  The ridiculousness of the comments on here are getting out of hand.  Apply for the job next time it opens and see how you do.

Never insinuated the AD gave Bubba an ultimatum . The season was a disaster. Lots of players were fed up with the direction of the team. Bubba's the HC. New AD. Connect the dots...and I'm not even bringing the gobc into the equation. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Significantly different than forcing a change or doing something Bubba was against. Of course it was discussed with Chaves, no one has claimed anything different and I don't think a coach is going to let people go without discussing it with his boss. But there was no ultimatum or taking the choice out of the head coach's hand and forcing him into something. 

Hell, the offense was actually running pretty well through the Sac St game and then cracks started to appear against Weber, who is a good defensive team. Despite some issues, not sure how anyone could have really argued for a change until after Idaho at the earliest and that was when they were shorthanded and still on a path to the playoffs. 

I hope you're joking.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

Yes, he knew it had to be done, when 80 percent of people on this board knew it needed to be done a year ago. With many fans talking about giving up their tickets, I would hope it would be a no brainer this year. 

• Upvote 2

I always chuckle at those who get so bent out of shape about not going for it on 4th down.

Here are the Big Sky teams that led the league in 4th down attempts this year........

TEAM..........................RECORD

#1 Southern Utah................1-10

#2 Northern Colorado.........2-9

#3 Idaho..............................4-7

#4 Cal Poly..........................5-6

But hey, those coaches sure did have balls...........................

• Upvote 2