SiouxSports.com Forum

New OC Danny Freund

gfhockey

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Freund was a QB at UND.  He is a former QB coach.  Not surprised he is going to make the QB the focal point of the offense.  I have to think that there were many times that Freund disagreed with Rudy's play calling because it limited Kett's abilities and took the ball out of his hands less than Danny would have liked.  I think having a former QB as OC is going to help our offense, and especially our QB play.  If he can change this offense ad do what he says by catering to the strengths of the players he has, then that should translate to success.  Danny has been one hell of a good recruiter.  Recruiting as the OC as opposed to the QB coach will make it even better.  

I'll give Freund a chance.  But he he definitely has a lot of pressure on him to turn it around.  Bubba is putting his coaching career on the line with Danny.  Bubba is signed through 2021.  If I were Chaves, I'd give Bubba and the coaching staff he finally assembles through the 2020 season after playing a complete season in the MVFC. By then we will see if this current staff can cut it in the best FCS conference in the country.

Rudy was a former QB. That’s all I’ve got to say about that.

I’m pretty sure Montana state demoted their offensive coordinator earlier this year and replaced him with someone on staff during the season.  Seemed to work out pretty well for them.  Bubba has no balls, and you need to have balls to be a head coach.  Super nice guy, not a head coach however.  Bubba would be a great pat simmers type guy for und.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Right, Danny's OC career won't be defined by his 2nd game against the best FCS program in history coming off another Natty, that's just stupid.  I do expect more than 40 yards of offense which UND had last time while the game was still within reach!!

UND needs to do better against NDSU, whether they're ranked #1 or #111. The 2015 offensive showing for UND was embarrassing. UND played with their tail between their legs after the 1st quarter, just happy to have 3 points. Didn’t help the offensive gameplan looked equally as bad that game. 

Be aggressive. Go for a program changing victory. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to do better against NDSU, whether they're ranked #1 or #111. The 2015 offensive showing for UND was embarrassing. UND played with their tail between their legs after the 1sr quarter, just happy to have 3 points. Didn’t help the offensive gameplan looked equally as bad that game. 

Let's start with this for the offense.......don't go to the line and try making 3-4 checks while no one can hear you to run a toss play!!  It was embarrassing.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Norhsidepride said:

Usually like your perspective, so my question is what good does it do to have Danny call a game with Rudy's offense beyond undermining what respect the players had left for Rudy?  If he wants up tempo and getting guys in space, I am not sure he could accomplish that in one game with a scheme built on the opposite.  why set him up to fail so that even more people on this board can complain.  

I was thinking more of fire Rudy and let Danny run with it to end the season. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Right, Danny's OC career won't be defined by his 2nd game against the best FCS program in history coming off another Natty, that's just stupid.  I do expect more than 40 yards of offense which UND had last time while the game was still within reach!!

A first down from scrimmage before heading to the locker room for halftime would also be an improvement.   

21 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offense simplified, starting with basic terminology for personnel, formations and play calls. Simple is not bad when it comes to football.  In Rudolph’s complex offense there were checks for everything and it took time to get it all communicated on nearly every play.  This will not be the case anymore.  The theory is the players will play faster due to not overthinking and worrying about getting the call correct. You may also see the QB and the offense check to the sideline from time to time.

I'm not sure how many times I've said it but look at NDSU. They don't do anything exceptional. What they do do, they do exceptionally well. When you watch their offensive line play they really only run maybe a half-dozen blocking schemes. But they never miss a block. Simpler is better. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm not sure how many times I've said it but look at NDSU. They don't do anything exceptional. What they do do, they do exceptionally well. When you watch their offensive line play they really only run maybe a half-dozen blocking schemes. But they never miss a block. Simpler is better. 

9 to 10 times :D

• Upvote 1

All we have heard is how complex Rudy's offense was yet Lowell's grandson was calling out the plays correctly most of the time in our section before UND broke the huddle.........and I think he might be 8 or 9 years old?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

All we have heard is how complex Rudy's offense was yet Lowell's grandson was calling out the plays correctly most of the time in our section before UND broke the huddle.........and I think he might be 8 or 9 years old?

Complex in the huddle, simplistic on the field. 

Was not a good combination for the UND offense. 

Given what UND currently has for players, the scheme that Freund is going to is perfect for UND. I think it’s the right move and we’ll see points. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND needs to do better against NDSU, whether they're ranked #1 or #111. The 2015 offensive showing for UND was embarrassing. UND played with their tail between their legs after the 1st quarter, just happy to have 3 points. Didn’t help the offensive gameplan looked equally as bad that game. 

You understand that the AD decided to keep Mr. Play It Safe and never go for it as Head Coach, don't you?  His career is littered with missed chances because, well, "the punt is a good play".  

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Irish said:

You understand that the AD decided to keep Mr. Play It Safe and never go for it as Head Coach, don't you?  His career is littered with missed chances because, well, "the punt is a good play".  

Right or wrong, when you feel like your defense has a better chance of scoring than your offense, sometimes it is OK to punt. That issue has hopefully been addressed.

UND attempted 14 4th down conversions this year, I'm thinking the conversion rate of 36% is why he opted to punt more than some care for.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This^

Made the comment many times from my normal spot on the rail in the end zone that if someone handed me a controller I would probably grade out at 95-98%....can't imagine what a paid defensive coordinator saw when he broke down tape.

600px-Playmaker.jpg

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

But now he’s coaching for his job. A punt doesn’t seem like such a good play when your paycheck is at stake.

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Right or wrong, when you feel like your defense has a better chance of scoring than your offense, sometimes it is OK to punt. That issue has hopefully been addressed.

UND attempted 14 4th down conversions this year, I'm thinking the conversion rate of 36% is why he opted to punt more than some care for.

...and how many turnovers did they have this year, compared to the number of plays run?  If you're playing percentages, it isn't even close, especially if the other team feels the same about your offense.  

20 minutes ago, Irish said:

Stay tuned - 2019 UND Football!!

Image result for old dog new trick meme

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This statistic is meaningless unless you factor in the game situation - there is a big difference between a desperation 4th and 17 at the end of the game or one last shot right before half and, for example, the 4th and 1 on the Washington 40 yard line when we are still in the game and driving.  I think most fans and even football experts would agree that he's turtled multiple times when he should have gone for it.  My comment was in reply to someone who said "be aggressive.  Go for a program changing win".  In my opinion, that's so not Bubba.  I am not saying go for it on every 4th down, but your statistic doesn't even come close to painting the correct picture.  

• Upvote 1

I love all the warm fuzzy feelings about how Danny is going to change things up and how we're going to compete with NDSU next season. Forgive me if I have personal reservations. 

As for me and mine - we're pissed that something wasn't done with the offense when a problem was noticed. We're pissed that our program's "defense first" defense gave away their fair share of victories this season too (I'd guess Schmidty has his own peccadillos to worry about this off-season). We're pissed that special teams were... well... "interesting".  In general, we're loyal UND football fans that have just gotten tired of losing so dang much. Bubba's job is on the line, and I thought he'd pull out all the stops to open up a program changing national search. Didn't happen. We elevate from within; damn the consequences. 

So if Freund is the answer then I'll go with the flow. I'll be cheering as loud as anyone and still proudly waving the school colors. With complete honesty, I really hope he does the job he needs to do for us, for himself, and for the program. But with equal honesty, I'm skeptical. I've seen this movie before.

(But if this whole thing doesn't work out, the 2022 HC will bring in a new OC and DC anyway. Yes - that's where we are at, IMO)

• Upvote 2