SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Roster Breakdown

geaux_sioux

If we are to handle our schedule next year and make the playoffs our roster needs to evolve, size wise, over the offseason. 

QB: We've got 4 returning and they're all about as big and strong as they need to be.

RB: We obviously lose two studs. JJ is listed at 6'1" 250, if he's going to get more carries next year he should lose about 15 lbs and get as fast as possible. He's a little soft right now, hopefully, he gets shredded for next year and regains his sprinter speed. Otis is listed at 5'8" 185, he looks like he's chiseled out of granite already. If he can add another 10 lbs he should be a handful because he already is built. If Teddy Sherva is gonna be on the team next year he needs to put on some weight, 177 isn't gonna cut it. At 190 he'd have a more viable body.  I wonder if they're gonna move Gordon back to RB? I think they should since he wasn't really used at LB. He's 5'9" 208, that's a good size for a short back.

FB: DeVore is basically our FB now, he's 6'4" 240 lbs, should be around 250 next year. I'd like to see him fill more of a Zach Adler type of role in the offense instead of just run blocking. He should be an asset in our offense.

TE: Lose Feidler. Cloyd is a little soft looking, he needs to get lean for next year. He's 267 right now if he got down to 255 and kept his strength up that could be an ideal weight for him. Pinke is 6'5' 256, that's a good weight for him, he needs to work on his speed. Paulson, Foix, and Steckler all need to add some good weight. 

WR: Toivonen is at a good weight, 220,  needs to get faster. Wanzek is at 210, he still looks really skinny. Another 5-10 lbs would do him good. Maag is listed at 6'4" 200lbs. He looks bigger than that. I hope he adds around 10 lbs and gets to 220-230 eventually because he will be a beast. Izzy is at 180, if adding another 5-10 would make him tougher he should do it. Cam could use a few lbs but needs to keep his speed. Greibel has a good build, needs to add 440g... that's how much the ball weighs.

OL: Hergel is already 6'2" 310lbs. He's not fat at all either, maybe he gets up to 320. He's a beast in the weight room, should be fun to watch. Tobin needs to get up to 300. Nguon is at 305, he just needs to be healthy and keep getting stronger. Rooney is at 302 but looks really soft. If he can trade some fat for some muscle it would serve him well. Blair could use 40 lbs, I won't hold my breath. Kruse is a big boy and already 310, he just needs to be healthy. Russo is about 15 lbs away from a really good weight for him, around 310. Jenkins is 305, at his height, 320 would be ideal. Helgren is a hair under 300 and looked a little light out there. 10 more lbs could help him anchor better. Donny Ventrelli is gonna be good when he gets up to weight. He's listed at 260, who knows what he actually weighs after fr weights. if he can get up around 290 for next year he may be a factor. Waletzko is 320 but still has room on his mammoth frame. He could be leaner and 330 by next year if he does it right. Mortel at 315 and healthy would be huge for this team. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

S & C needs to be thoroughly reviewed.  Way too many injuries and way too little physical development.

I'm not certain how the S & C guy can prevent Ott's or Palmborg's injuries for example. Each stepped wrong in the heat of battle. 

Strength can be improved, but in a football game with collisions on EVERY play, I'm not sure injury prevention in many cases is achievable.

10 minutes ago, shep said:

I'm not certain how the S & C guy can prevent Ott's or Palmborg's injuries for example. Each stepped wrong in the heat of battle. 

Strength can be improved, but in a football game with collisions on EVERY play, I'm not sure injury prevention in many cases is achievable.

Completely agree.  I'm talking about other types of injuries, pulls, sprains etc.  Haven't there been significant off-season injuries the last few years?  I also have not seen the physical development, especially of the O and D lines.

LB: Jade Lawrence 215, another 5 lbs would help him on the edge. Jaxon Turner is at 219. He's done a nice job of putting on good weight so far at UND and is at the point where he'll slow it down and add about 5 lean lbs each year. Rastas needs to find a way to get up to 220, he's listed at 200 right now. Larson is listed at 233 and looks to have a ton more room on his frame. Around 10 good lbs would be great for him to take it to the next level. Donnel may need to actually lose a little weight. He looked pretty soft this year. He's not a naturally lean guy but he looks borderline fat right now. At 248 he could lose 10 lbs of fluff and add 5 lbs of muscle and be even better. Cam Hunt is gonna play alot more next year and 214 lbs won't cut it inside. 5-10 lbs would help him alot. Steiger is at a good weight, 225, but needs to work on his speed. The fr, White, Bruner, Mullin, and Salentine hopefully had some nice gains in fr weights and will be up 15-20 lbs each for spring. 

DL: Seguin is already a big boy at 260. Hopefully, he can get a little leaner and add about 10 lbs of muscle. Lcikfeldt needs to add a good 50 lbs a 3". Ott needs another 20 lbs, should be easy for him, he looked downright skinny out there this year. Honnerlaw should put on 10-15 lbs. Morrison needs to finally get a full winter season in without injury so he can pack on the pounds. He needs to get up around 300 lbs if he can. The problem is you don't want him to gain too much too fast and lose his athleticism. Johnson should put on 20 lbs. Bennett needs another 10 lbs to reach his potential. At 270 he could wreck offenses. Engwall should also at 10 lbs to get up around 270. Schoenfelder needs to add all sorts of weight. He's probably another year away from getting big and strong enough to be a factor. 

CB: Odom with 10 more lbs should be ready to step in next year. Seigel could use 15-20 lbs. Holm would be even better if he added 10 and got to 190. The rest of the CBs are at good weights.

S: I'd like to see both Canaday and Shannon get up to 210 to add a little more thump on the back end. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, shep said:

And speaking of beating a dead horse, it's over. He a human being who got fired from a job I bet he loved. He's gone-be decent about it.

Not a horse. Reindeer. 

Sorry I couldn’t contain my excitement. I’m just thrilled we may have a chance to be on equal footing with our opponents instead of being handicapped in every game. 

• Upvote 1

On November 23, 2018 at 6:40 PM, geaux_sioux said:

If we are to handle our schedule next year and make the playoffs our roster needs to evolve, size wise, over the offseason. 

QB: We've got 4 returning and they're all about as big and strong as they need to be.

RB: We obviously lose two studs. JJ is listed at 6'1" 250, if he's going to get more carries next year he should lose about 15 lbs and get as fast as possible. He's a little soft right now, hopefully, he gets shredded for next year and regains his sprinter speed. Otis is listed at 5'8" 185, he looks like he's chiseled out of granite already. If he can add another 10 lbs he should be a handful because he already is built. If Teddy Sherva is gonna be on the team next year he needs to put on some weight, 177 isn't gonna cut it. At 190 he'd have a more viable body.  I wonder if they're gonna move Gordon back to RB? I think they should since he wasn't really used at LB. He's 5'9" 208, that's a good size for a short back.

FB: DeVore is basically our FB now, he's 6'4" 240 lbs, should be around 250 next year. I'd like to see him fill more of a Zach Adler type of role in the offense instead of just run blocking. He should be an asset in our offense.

TE: Lose Feidler. Cloyd is a little soft looking, he needs to get lean for next year. He's 267 right now if he got down to 255 and kept his strength up that could be an ideal weight for him. Pinke is 6'5' 256, that's a good weight for him, he needs to work on his speed. Paulson, Foix, and Steckler all need to add some good weight. 

WR: Toivonen is at a good weight, 220,  needs to get faster. Wanzek is at 210, he still looks really skinny. Another 5-10 lbs would do him good. Maag is listed at 6'4" 200lbs. He looks bigger than that. I hope he adds around 10 lbs and gets to 220-230 eventually because he will be a beast. Izzy is at 180, if adding another 5-10 would make him tougher he should do it. Cam could use a few lbs but needs to keep his speed. Greibel has a good build, needs to add 440g... that's how much the ball weighs.

OL: Hergel is already 6'2" 310lbs. He's not fat at all either, maybe he gets up to 320. He's a beast in the weight room, should be fun to watch. Tobin needs to get up to 300. Nguon is at 305, he just needs to be healthy and keep getting stronger. Rooney is at 302 but looks really soft. If he can trade some fat for some muscle it would serve him well. Blair could use 40 lbs, I won't hold my breath. Kruse is a big boy and already 310, he just needs to be healthy. Russo is about 15 lbs away from a really good weight for him, around 310. Jenkins is 305, at his height, 320 would be ideal. Helgren is a hair under 300 and looked a little light out there. 10 more lbs could help him anchor better. Donny Ventrelli is gonna be good when he gets up to weight. He's listed at 260, who knows what he actually weighs after fr weights. if he can get up around 290 for next year he may be a factor. Waletzko is 320 but still has room on his mammoth frame. He could be leaner and 330 by next year if he does it right. Mortel at 315 and healthy would be huge for this team. 

What is all of this based on???   What is your experience with these athletes and what is your area of expertise?  Other than we want everyone of our athletes to be stronger and faster what is the basis for recommending adding or subtracting weight for these individuals?  I'm not saying you are wrong or right I'm just asking.  

I’ll only comment on one: 33 looked overstocked on his frame. His mass seemed burdensome when he was running. That’s strictly by the eye test. 

That said, I stand by my previous comment: nothing matters until the offensive line is dominant. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

What is all of this based on???   What is your experience with these athletes and what is your area of expertise?  Other than we want everyone of our athletes to be stronger and faster what is the basis for recommending adding or subtracting weight for these individuals?  I'm not saying you are wrong or right I'm just asking.  

If you’re asking if I have an expensive piece of paper saying I’m an expert, I don’t.  I am a kinesiology aficionado and learned everything I could from our SC staff when I played. You also tend to notice the body types of successful players and not. Does this answer your question?

• Upvote 3

On 11/24/2018 at 8:45 AM, shep said:

Strength and conditioning is in absolute factor to injury prevention. Certain types of injuries, like the well publicized head injuries, are not as affected as others, obviously. But, in general, strength and conditioning improves outcomes. UND could definitely improve it’s strength and conditioning program for football. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. 

Offensive line. 

Until that’s dominant nothing else matters. 

This is over simplified.

Weight development of current offensive linemen is a key component to getting better at offensive line.

Another huge factor to keep an eye on is offensive coordinator and offensive line coach hires. Will UND be a predominant zone or man team? I think UND’s current guys may be better suited for a zone scheme. Let’s see.

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Credential checkpoint time again?

Always got to love when this subject makes its annual appearance on this forum. 

Emphasis on the post content.