SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-1) vs Concordia (NE) (4-3) 11/20 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

First time seeing the team in action. Man am I impressed with Febraca. We haven’t had a big like him in some time. So much fun to watch. It would have been really nice to get Bijek a redshirt year I think. 

This team should be a fun to watch grow through the year. Will be nice to get Stewart back (fingers crossed) in the new year. 

My thoughts on last night and my overall thinking of the squad so far:

-Yes, I understand that most of the competition has been less than stellar and many are waiting to see how they will fare against actual D1 competition on a consistent basis.  However, I am encouraged that they are crushing these teams and have very little moments where they have been lackadaisical. 

-Seniors were the story in this game, Avants and Seales were efficient (combined 16-24 from the field) and Avants had a nice night of stuffing the stat sheets, had 7 boards and 4 assists to go along with his 22 points.  This team has solid leaders with these two, they just go out and put in a honest nights work on the court.  The only complaint I have is this:  Seales does not look comfortable shooting from 3 (comes out like a bullet)

-While Jal came in with the most hype, as of right now Rebraca has been the most impactful newcomer to this squad.  He continues to get better game after game and has been a solid addition to the starting lineup.  Can shoot it from outside, can handle the ball in transition, and can suck up rebounds like a vacuum.  I don't think this will the last double-double he gets this year.  I hope he can put on 15 lbs of muscle and he will be a force.

-Speaking of Jal:  As many have said, he is RAW and freakishly athletic. While some have stated he should have redshirted, I will slightly disagree as I think he will be a more polished player as conference seasons rolls around.  He just needs more game experience.  You can see some flashes of what he is capable of, he just needs to put it together for a stretch or two and to stay on the floor a little bit longer.  At the very least this year, I hope he can be a defensive force with this length and athleticism.

-Davids has been alright, he has been steady at the point guard position.  It doesn't seem that he is trying to do too much right now and to be honest, that is okay.  Whether he or Billy will be returned to the bench once Marlon returns will be a question, but that will be a debate for another day. 

-Marko, out of the 4 newcomers that get significant minutes, is probably the one that needed to be redshirted.  Still looks a little behind the curve compared to the other three.  Has a nice stroke from 3 thought and from the line.  

-What the situation with Walter?  Out for precaution? Injury serious or minor?  

-Brown had his best game in a UND uniform last night.  I am seeing something different from him this year compared to his first two.  He is a little more aggressive in taking it to the rim.  That should bode well for him going forward. 

-We are about to learn more about this team over the next 5 game, as they are finally going to play some like competition consistently.  This will give a better measure as to where this team is at.  I'd like to see them get at least get 3 wins out of these next 5 games. 

16 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

-Speaking of Jal:  As many have said, he is RAW and freakishly athletic. While some have stated he should have redshirted, I will slightly disagree as I think he will be a more polished player as conference seasons rolls around.  He just needs more game experience.  You can see some flashes of what he is capable of, he just needs to put it together for a stretch or two and to stay on the floor a little bit longer.  At the very least this year, I hope he can be a defensive force with this length and athleticism.

I guess I kind of look at it like we aren't going to be world beaters this year anyway, so why not have Jal around when he has already added weight and muscle and will be more of an impact player.   I wish they would have redshirted Weston Dressler for the same reason, because as little as they used him his freshman year, could you imagine what that last year would have been like for him. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My thoughts on last night and my overall thinking of the squad so far:

-Yes, I understand that most of the competition has been less than stellar and many are waiting to see how they will fare against actual D1 competition on a consistent basis.  However, I am encouraged that they are crushing these teams and have very little moments where they have been lackadaisical. 

-Seniors were the story in this game, Avants and Seales were efficient (combined 16-24 from the field) and Avants had a nice night of stuffing the stat sheets, had 7 boards and 4 assists to go along with his 22 points.  This team has solid leaders with these two, they just go out and put in a honest nights work on the court.  The only complaint I have is this:  Seales does not look comfortable shooting from 3 (comes out like a bullet)

-While Jal came in with the most hype, as of right now Rebraca has been the most impactful newcomer to this squad.  He continues to get better game after game and has been a solid addition to the starting lineup.  Can shoot it from outside, can handle the ball in transition, and can suck up rebounds like a vacuum.  I don't think this will the last double-double he gets this year.  I hope he can put on 15 lbs of muscle and he will be a force.

-Davids has been alright, he has been steady at the point guard position.  It doesn't seem that he is trying to do too much right now and to be honest, that is okay.  Whether he or Billy will be returned to the bench once Marlon returns will be a question, but that will be a debate for another day. 

-Marko, out of the 4 newcomers that get significant minutes, is probably the one that needed to be redshirted.  Still looks a little behind the curve compared to the other three.  Has a nice stroke from 3 thought and from the line.  

-What the situation with Walter?  Out for precaution? Injury serious or minor?  

-Brown had his best game in a UND uniform last night.  I am seeing something different from him this year compared to his first two.  He is a little more aggressive in taking it to the rim.  That should bode well for him going forward. 

-We are about to learn more about this team over the next 5 game, as they are finally going to play some like competition consistently.  This will give a better measure as to where this team is at.  I'd like to see them get at least get 3 wins out of these next 5 games. 

Ralston said last night on the radio that, at this point, it's more precautionary and he would have dressed/played last night only if needed. Sounds like he could be back for the next stretch against the non-con D1 teams.

3 hours ago, tnt said:

I guess I kind of look at it like we aren't going to be world beaters this year anyway, so why not have Jal around when he has already added weight and muscle and will be more of an impact player.   I wish they would have redshirted Weston Dressler for the same reason, because as little as they used him his freshman year, could you imagine what that last year would have been like for him. 

I can understand that, save him for another year where they could be more competitive. 

At the same time though, you have that core of Marko, Filip, Moody, and Davids that you can have for the next 4 years.  Throw Jal in there and let them grow together.  Make mistakes, accomplish something right now.  Plus Jal gives something UND hasn't had since Huff... a true 3. 

3 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Ralston said last night on the radio that, at this point, it's more precautionary and he would have dressed/played last night only if needed. Sounds like he could be back for the next stretch against the non-con D1 teams.

Good to know.  At the very least, UND has some depth there in which they can do that.  I don't think they would be doing that a year ago. 

14 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I can understand that, save him for another year where they could be more competitive. 

At the same time though, you have that core of Marko, Filip, Moody, and Davids that you can have for the next 4 years.  Throw Jal in there and let them grow together.  Make mistakes, accomplish something right now.  Plus Jal gives something UND hasn't had since Huff... a true 3. 

Also, if you redshirt, there's a chance for the player to graduate transfer, correct?