Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
UNDBIZ

2019 Season

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Sorry in advance, this might be long... I've debated with myself long and hard about posting this, but decided to go ahead. I've always found that being open and transparent is a healthy place for me to be. 

  • First - I'm outing myself. Some of you have probably guessed already but I'm Carl Engwall's dad, Eric. I hope you'll understand that I just didn't think it was necessary, or even a good idea, to expose myself as the parent of a current player.
  • Second - The last couple of weeks have been pretty rough at our house.
  • Third - Our entire family, Carl included, has enjoyed being a part of UND football these last four years and we are sick that his time on the field as a Fighting Hawk is over.
  • Fourth - We will continue to support UND football and the university as a whole. Despite Carl's dismissal from the team, none of us has an ax to grind and we wish nothing but the best for this team and this staff.

Without going into detail, I want to express our appreciation for the experience Carl has had as a UND football player. The coaches he interacted with most directly, DL coach Gigli prior to his departure, and DC Eric Schmidt since he took on the DL - have always taken an interest in him as a person, as a student, and as a football player. Even since Carl's dismissal from the team, Coach Schmidt and Coach Schweigert have continued to check with Carl to make sure that he's okay and to encourage him to finish school and earn his degree.  Both of them have called me, as well, and expressed their sadness that things didn't work out for Carl and their support for him moving forward. As a parent, we couldn't really ask for more.

In any situation like this, there are too many "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" to count. More than enough to go around. My wife and I feel like there are a million things we could have done differently. Coaches Schweigert and Schmidt both expressed their own frustrations, too. At some point, though, the kid has to become a man and take the responsibility for himself. This is a rough and costly lesson for a young man to learn, and we all hope he does. Only time will tell, of course, but for now he's focused on getting his degree and graduating from UND in December, which is the point of all of this, right?

Lastly, thanks to all of you that have supported UND football from near and far. Watching and occasionally participating in your discussions and debates about the Fighting Hawks has been great fun. You're a part of that community, and I know many of you have supported UND football with your time, your money, and your days in a green uniform. Your passion has made this more enjoyable for all of us.

We'll be cheering from the cheap seats... Go Hawks!

I wish the best to Carl.  Pick yourself up, brush yourself.  You will be a success.  I wish the best of luck.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 10:34 AM, Irish said:

Another example of how Bubba set this team back by having Rudy on board for 5 years.  This is on Bubba now.

I highly doubt it was a protest game when there was a playoff spot on the line. I would’ve maybe believed it if there wouldn’t have been. No way they throw THAT game to prove a point. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I highly doubt it was a protest game when there was a playoff spot on the line. I would’ve maybe believed it if there wouldn’t have been. No way they throw THAT game to prove a point. 

Or that's the perfect time to throw it. Tossing a game at the end of the season with really nothing on the line can just mean a team has given up. Throwing in the towel with potential playoffs on the line is a conscious act of saying, "no more of this." Not saying it's for sure what they did, just gives it more weight if so. Regardless, Rudy never should have been the OC and he most definitely should not have been given that one extra year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't think this forum could get any sillier.  Congrats gentlemen,  (you know who you are) you have proven me wrong.  The past 72 hours have been phenomenal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We should drive a pike through this line of discussion to kill it. 

Just for the Hal-i-but

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Sorry in advance, this might be long... I've debated with myself long and hard about posting this, but decided to go ahead. I've always found that being open and transparent is a healthy place for me to be. 

  • First - I'm outing myself. Some of you have probably guessed already but I'm Carl Engwall's dad, Eric. I hope you'll understand that I just didn't think it was necessary, or even a good idea, to expose myself as the parent of a current player.
  • Second - The last couple of weeks have been pretty rough at our house.
  • Third - Our entire family, Carl included, has enjoyed being a part of UND football these last four years and we are sick that his time on the field as a Fighting Hawk is over.
  • Fourth - We will continue to support UND football and the university as a whole. Despite Carl's dismissal from the team, none of us has an ax to grind and we wish nothing but the best for this team and this staff.

Without going into detail, I want to express our appreciation for the experience Carl has had as a UND football player. The coaches he interacted with most directly, DL coach Gigli prior to his departure, and DC Eric Schmidt since he took on the DL - have always taken an interest in him as a person, as a student, and as a football player. Even since Carl's dismissal from the team, Coach Schmidt and Coach Schweigert have continued to check with Carl to make sure that he's okay and to encourage him to finish school and earn his degree.  Both of them have called me, as well, and expressed their sadness that things didn't work out for Carl and their support for him moving forward. As a parent, we couldn't really ask for more.

In any situation like this, there are too many "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" to count. More than enough to go around. My wife and I feel like there are a million things we could have done differently. Coaches Schweigert and Schmidt both expressed their own frustrations, too. At some point, though, the kid has to become a man and take the responsibility for himself. This is a rough and costly lesson for a young man to learn, and we all hope he does. Only time will tell, of course, but for now he's focused on getting his degree and graduating from UND in December, which is the point of all of this, right?

Lastly, thanks to all of you that have supported UND football from near and far. Watching and occasionally participating in your discussions and debates about the Fighting Hawks has been great fun. You're a part of that community, and I know many of you have supported UND football with your time, your money, and your days in a green uniform. Your passion has made this more enjoyable for all of us.

We'll be cheering from the cheap seats... Go Hawks!

Classy post all the way.  May the Lord bless you, Carl, and the rest of your family.  Thanks for being a loyal part of the UND Family.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

We should drive a pike through this line of discussion to kill it. 

It’s been floundering for awhile now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

That is really lame

This is not quite Scream Yellow bad but.....they are in the same timezone.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 7:15 AM, shep said:

Agreed. AND...IF...it's the end of Bubba, he becomes a HC candidate?

I’m afraid not. If Bubba is fired it’s because the team didn’t have a good season. That would include Freund as a member of that team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

This is not quite Scream Yellow bad but.....they are in the same timezone.

Homecoming means....... you come... home........ yea

9A8567F0-76EB-4D13-9BDF-ECCC30718C9A.gif

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Shouldn't an updated 2 deep likely be released pretty soon? 

Sometime next week.  I think Tuesday or Wednesday.   Before the gameday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Homecoming means....... you come... home........ yea

9A8567F0-76EB-4D13-9BDF-ECCC30718C9A.gif

Brought to you by the same marketing/PR firm that came up with "Fighting Hawks," perhaps?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Thanks for explaining!! :D

0ABF7A15-2790-4352-8DE1-2C1DC5E9736D.jpeg

If someone can explain to me what's actually going on here in this image, please clue me in.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

Brought to you by the same marketing/PR firm that came up with "Fighting Hawks," perhaps?

The und Student/alumni body?

Remember, the firm was handed a bag of chicken !@#$ and asked to make chicken soup.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shawn-O said:

If someone can explain to me what's actually going on here in this image, please clue me in.   

I believe this picture was taken last year. There’s a person praying and another person with his hands in the air expressing his approval of the prayer for a new offensive coordinator.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One critical question regarding the 2019 season - has anyone received their tailgating passes yet?

I got my game tix last week but haven't seen my tailgating passes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperman8 said:

One critical question regarding the 2019 season - has anyone received their tailgating passes yet?

I got my game tix last week but haven't seen my tailgating passes. 

I received my tailgating tix but not my game tix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...