SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

Let's start taking a look at different positional groups. Offensively as we all know, it starts on the O-Line. Every positional group is clearly important, but this is the one that has the biggest trajectory on the success of either unit. 

Couple questions: How would you grade their performance last year? What are the realistic expectations for next year?

My take: They were the #1 concern coming into last year and I think it's safe to say they exceeded expectations. My overall grade would be a C+. They dominated against weaker competition, seemed to falter like the rest of the offense at the end of the year. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to (1) Terrible QB play (2) Play calling - tough to look good when teams can stack the box. Anyways...

2019: 

Tackle: They return 3 players who are "starters".

• Mortel (JR): Only played two games, because of injuries, but was their #1 Tackle starting the year. When healthy, he's a rock solid LT.
  • Helgren (JR): Started every game but one at RT, first year starter.
  • Waletzko (SO): Started 5 games as a True Freshman, first year starter. 

Others: Russo (JR), played in a few games. Who are some others to watch? I feel good about the 3 guys who started last year, is Russo ready to take the next step? The tackle position was young last year, no upperclassman. They have a solid core coming back, if those three can improve and you get another player or two in the mix, this could be a talented, deep group.

Guards: Lose one Senior, return 2 players who are "starters"

• Tobin (JR): Two year starter, solid LG
  • Nguon (JR): Although he was used mostly as a tackle, he can play all positions and will be used as a Guard this upcoming year. 

Others: Hergel (RFR), Who are some others to watch? 

Center:

• Rooney (SR): Started every game last year.

UND has 6 Offensive lineman returning that either played or have played (Mortel) enough reps that we know what to expect. It's a solid nucleus and given their age (5 of the 6 underclassman last year), there is a lot of room for growth. Is this the first year of the D1 era that they can have what I would "true depth". That would mean 4 players who aren't true returners to fill the depth chart (2 G's, 1 T, 1 C), who are ready to step in when injuries happen and they can hold their own. 

My expectation is for this group to take a step forward. They should grade out at a minimum of a B after next year.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, AJS said:

Let's start taking a look at different positional groups. Offensively as we all know, it starts on the O-Line. Every positional group is clearly important, but this is the one that has the biggest trajectory on the success of either unit. 

Couple questions: How would you grade their performance last year? What are the realistic expectations for next year?

My take: They were the #1 concern coming into last year and I think it's safe to say they exceeded expectations. My overall grade would be a C+. They dominated against weaker competition, seemed to falter like the rest of the offense at the end of the year. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to (1) Terrible QB play (2) Play calling - tough to look good when teams can stack the box. Anyways...

2019: 

• Mortel (JR): Only played two games, because of injuries, but was their #1 Tackle starting the year. When healthy, he's a rock solid LT.

Others: Russo (JR), played in a few games. Who are some others to watch? I feel good about the 3 guys who started last year, is Russo ready to take the next step? The tackle position was young last year, no upperclassman. They have a solid core coming back, if those three can improve and you get another player or two in the mix, this could be a talented, deep group.

• Nguon (JR): Although he was used mostly as a tackle, he can play all positions and will be used as a Guard this upcoming year. 

Center:

UND has 6 Offensive lineman returning that either played or have played (Mortel) enough reps that we know what to expect. It's a solid nucleus and given their age (5 of the 6 underclassman last year), there is a lot of room for growth. Is this the first year of the D1 era that they can have what I would "true depth". That would mean 4 players who aren't true returners to fill the depth chart (2 G's, 1 T, 1 C), who are ready to step in when injuries happen and they can hold their own. 

My expectation is for this group to take a step forward. They should grade out at a minimum of a B after next year.

Waiting on Kruse. He’s huge. Genteelly is supposed be really really good.

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

2019: 

Center:

I know I've mentioned them before, but Jenkins and Jeffries have size. Apparently that's it??

3 hours ago, shep said:

I know I've mentioned them before, but Jenkins and Jeffries have size. Apparently that's it??

Last year was Jefferies first year playing OL, I believe. All but no chance that anyone walks in and starts at OL with zero experience no matter their physical gifts.

I will continue to enjoy the position group write ups in coming days....

I have a few thoughts/comments/questions for the regulars here on the HawkNation site....

Comment 1. Let's ENJOY the invasion trolling from the goat ranchers south of us....You all do a GREAT job of loyally defending the UND tradition...The more they post over here, indicates we are a growing threat to their reign....( if we sucked, they wouldn't bother and although it HAS been more than impressive - ALL dynasties do end ).

Question 1.  Has UND ever had a schedule that included the Natty champ AND the runner up on the same scheduled year ?  (Nationally only ourselves and UCD can say that for next fall.... Ammo for the playoff committee..... & Love it ).

Question 2.  With a coming schedule that is SO challenging.... should we be trying to add that 12th game (VS. say a D-2) to help qualify....or does a rest week help us more ?

Comment 2.  We have ALOT returning......a fresh new offensive scheme......and our southern rival loses MANY key people on both sides + a new coach ....we catch the "herd" EARLY in that transition which is KEY..... How much fun would it be to "shock" the FCS on 9/7 ? !!!!!!!!!!!  I do know this from talking with several players recently.....our 2019 squad respects what SU has done, but are in no way intimidated and can't wait for the renewed "annual" opportunity. I hope we don't look past Drake and struggle with them week 1 because of our biggie on week 2 tho......

And finally .... Question/Comment 3. Will one of you kind,  generous and wealthy Hawk faithful PLEASE pony up and help get the HPC project finished ?

I would do it but I only have $60 in the bank after Christmas shopping.   :)      Merry Christmas from Colorado !!!

6 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Comment 2.  We have ALOT returning......a fresh new offensive scheme......and our southern rival loses MANY key people on both sides + a new coach ....we catch the "herd" EARLY in that transition which is KEY..... How much fun would it be to "shock" the FCS on 9/7 ? !!!!!!!!!!!  I do know this from talking with several players recently.....our 2019 squad respects what SU has done, but are in no way intimidated and can't wait for the renewed "annual" opportunity. I hope we don't look past Drake and struggle with them week 1 because of our biggie on week 2 tho......

I would say the ONLY thing UND has to worry about Sept 7th is overconfidence. I don’t see where NDSU has a chance as gutted as their roster will be and all of the talent coming back for UND. Sprinkle in the UND signees today that all the local FCS schools came after hard the last week and I can see NDSU just buying out the game to avoid the embarrassment.

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I would say the ONLY thing UND has to worry about Sept 7th is overconfidence. I don’t see where NDSU has a chance as gutted as their roster will be and all of the talent coming back for UND. Sprinkle in the UND signees today that all the local FCS schools came after hard the last week and I can see NDSU just buying out the game to avoid the embarrassment.

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Why even play the games next year......right??  This 6-5 analysis right now is garbage.

Exactly. This idea that everyone not only knows how UND is going to perform next year but ALSO how every team on their schedule is going to perform is hysterical. 

Let’s actually allow the new UND offensive playbook to be completed, the winter/spring/summer workouts to be concluded, and the new players to have arrived on campus before we start predicting.

My goodness for premature limitations ...

TRUST THE PROCESS

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Bison sarcasm.......love it.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

MFGFGA (Make Football in Grand Forks Great Again) ..

Could someone do a green and black hat with this??? Could be a fund raiser or you get one FREE with a $1000 donation...could also be Make Football Great Again in Grand Forks MFGAGF.... endless possibilities here.... t-shirt for $2000....

need to get going!

11 hours ago, Hawks_Win_Again said:

Bison sarcasm.......love it.

there are quiet rumblings inside the athletic dept. at SU of buy out if possible FBS game surfaces. will know more in couple weeks after SU Ath. Dir returns from national championship game. There is a informal luncheon with other AD's of the Big 12, which they are an affiliate member of in wrestling that could yield early 2019 meeting that could cause buyout of UND game.  Nothing solid or in stone just rumblings.

12 minutes ago, stonebreaker said:

there are quiet rumblings inside the athletic dept. at SU of buy out if possible FBS game surfaces. will know more in couple weeks after SU Ath. Dir returns from national championship game. There is a informal luncheon with other AD's of the Big 12, which they are an affiliate member of in wrestling that could yield early 2019 meeting that could cause buyout of UND game.  Nothing solid or in stone just rumblings.

Well that would remove us from having to go to the Dome to years in a row. Put some pressure on Chaves to find us a new game (not Mayville). I'm ok with this if it happens soon. I thought I remember the buyout being $300,000 on this not sure. It would be a pretty ballsy move by a Big 12 team to play NDSU next year. Host a team from a lower level, pay them big money and run the risk of getting beat. Your bottom three teams in that league might go into that game underdogs.  

14 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

And here I thought Grand Forks had the better sandbagging crews ... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bang said:

Well that would remove us from having to go to the Dome to years in a row. Put some pressure on Chaves to find us a new game (not Mayville). I'm ok with this if it happens soon. I thought I remember the buyout being $300,000 on this not sure. It would be a pretty ballsy move by a Big 12 team to play NDSU next year. Host a team from a lower level, pay them big money and run the risk of getting beat. Your bottom three teams in that league might go into that game underdogs.  

$300,000 seems like a lot for this buy out being the two games were put together back when Bubba was relatively early into the head coaching job. I taught we received around $100,000 per game for playing them, but the buy out amount could be different?

Other two options for them is Delaware and UC Davis. 

1 hour ago, bang said:

The game will cost NDSU $140,000 whether they play the game or not, unless UND cancels it, which in that case, UND would owe NDSU $250,000.

1 hour ago, stonebreaker said:

Seems pretty far-fetched considering every Big 12 team already has a full 12 game schedule and all of them are already playing an FCS team. The only two who even have 9/7 as an open date are Iowa State (plays UNI the week before, which won't be cancelled) and TCU (plays UAPB opening week).

8 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The game will cost NDSU $140,000 whether they play the game or not, unless UND cancels it, which in that case, UND would owe NDSU $250,000.

Worst business deal ever.  Regardless, ndsu won't be cancelling a cheap home game against their rival, especially when they already have a destination game scheduled for 2019. If any game is cancelled for an FBS game, it'd be the one on the road in Delaware.

• Upvote 2