SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I know people that don't go cause of the price.

Price is one of the biggest deterrents for why people don't do things.

I also see people park in the residential area to the east of the Alerius where my daughter lives and they walk because the $5 to park is too much. Some people try strech the dollar, that's fine, we'll take the fans. Now for a tailgating spot, $15 is not bad.

25 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Just to add- we all know that guy that begrudges turning his car heater on due to the added expense for his drives from Fargo to the REA in winter; can’t imagine what he thinks of the football tailgate prices.  

Maybe he’ll chime in. :)

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Don't go or don't set up their own spots? There's plenty of other options for those that don't want to set up their own spots between vendors that set up and wandering up to pretty much any group. And I'm guessing the Alerus Center isn't making much money off tailgating by the time everything is paid for. 

Pretty confident that the price of a spot (at whatever price) is one of the cheaper things on our list of expenses when we tailgate. Chances are, if you need more than 2 spots, you're part of a group and the cost per/person becomes pretty minimal when you start adding in food, beverages, etc.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Don't go or don't set up their own spots? There's plenty of other options for those that don't want to set up their own spots between vendors that set up and wandering up to pretty much any group. And I'm guessing the Alerus Center isn't making much money off tailgating by the time everything is paid for. 

Pretty confident that the price of a spot (at whatever price) is one of the cheaper things on our list of expenses when we tailgate. Chances are, if you need more than 2 spots, you're part of a group and the cost per/person becomes pretty minimal when you start adding in food, beverages, etc.

Expecially for those tailgaters who are very generous to the walker bys in offering them food and cheering motivation.

57 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The university doesn't base the price on those types of fans. If the school made the price $10 or $5 those cheapos wouldn't come, either. $15 for tailgating is a very fair price. $5 for parking is a very fair price. The game tickets are a fair price, too. The entire experience is fairly priced.... all the team needs to do is give those on the fence a reason to attend and the cheapos will come.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

The non hardcore and money conscious fan?

If a UND gameday ticket was 3x the price less fans would show up.

Simple economics.

If the university made parking, tickets, and concessions free they wouldn't make any money. Simple economics.

They base prices on maximizing profits, so they set the prices to get as many fans as possible to the events while still making money. They try to find the sweet spot in the middle. Obviously there are things outside of their control (weather, success of the team, etc), but they can't make the majority of their decisions based on the fan who is going to show up no matter what or the fan who is going to not tailgate because it costs $15 (and again, that fan isn't going to show up if the tailgating price was $10, so why base decisions on them?).

• Upvote 1

I can’t make it for all the home games. I don’t want to tailgate when it is freezing out. I would consider a couple spots for a game or two depending on my schedule and the weather. I wouldn’t mind spending $30 for two tailgating spots for a game  or two that works for me.

15 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Have to remember nobody doing actual tailgating is going to be real satisfied with just one spot.  So now we're looking at $30+ for single games.

Minimum of 2 spots are required to be purchased anyway (one to park, minimum of one to actually tailgate). But if $30 instead of $10 or $20 is the determining factor on whether you're going to tailgate or not, then I question how much you really wanted to.

I really don't think they are missing out on a ton of people on this. If people don't want to (or are unable) to commit to the whole year, there should be a little bit of a premium involved. If $15/spot is too steep, they have continued to try to improve Tailgate Village for those who don't want to set up spots, plus the Champions Club tent always has free food for members.

17 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Give the staff some credit, after losing two guys the caliber of John and Brady, I still feel pretty excited about the RB's we have going into this year.  And definitely excited to see what they can do with a more experienced OL, and real offense. Gordon was really good when he got his chances early on, he'll definitely be a nice change of pace to JJ.  I think the different RB's will compliment each other well this year and we have some different styles to mix things up. 

On 2/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, sioux24/7 said:

If Grover is really above Boltmann, does the staff discuss with Boltmann switching positions possibly to DB? 

I answered "no way" to this comment, sioux24/7. I stand corrected! At least for now; I have no idea where Boltmann will be once the Drake game kicks off.

On 3/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, Sioux94 said:

Give the staff some credit, after losing two guys the caliber of John and Brady, I still feel pretty excited about the RB's we have going into this year.  And definitely excited to see what they can do with a more experienced OL, and real offense. Gordon was really good when he got his chances early on, he'll definitely be a nice change of pace to JJ.  I think the different RB's will compliment each other well this year and we have some different styles to mix things up. 

Gordon could easily end up as our feature RB this fall.  I like the move.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, Sioux95 said:

Gordon could easily end up as our feature RB this fall.  I like the move.

One could look at our running game at the beginning of this coming season as a drop off from last season, but they may surprise a lot of fans soon thereafter. The offense will have a new look and the running game could have success being surrounded  by players we have. Stay healthy.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

One could look at our running game at the beginning of this coming season as a drop off from last season, but they may surprise a lot of fans soon thereafter. The offense will have a new look and the running game could have success being surrounded  by players we have. Stay healthy.

Our running game could actually improve. Teams won’t be keying non our backs the way they did with Oliveira and Santiago. It could open some things up.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our running game could actually improve. Teams won’t be keying non our backs the way they did with Oliveira and Santiago. It could open some things up.

That's actually is a very good point.  And, the first few teams that play us will have some doubt on as to our game plan. Maybe we can give our friends to the south a run.

37 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That's actually is a very good point.  And, the first few teams that play us will have some doubt on as to our game plan. Maybe we can give our friends to the south a run.

And what if we actually pass to our running backs. And tight ends

• Upvote 1