SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I agree. If we can't field two quality NG's, does it make sense to switch to a 4-3 front? 

Relax. In this day and age, most offenses play in 11 and 10 personnel anyways. UND should be playing more nickel defense as such; a 2-4-5 alignment would be most appropriate for these scenarios (sub out NG for nickel back). Done all over the country with teams that run 3-4 base

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Relax. In this day and age, most offenses play in 11 and 10 personnel anyways. UND should be playing more nickel defense as such; a 2-4-5 alignment would be most appropriate for these scenarios (sub out NG for nickel back). Done all over the country with teams that run 3-4 base

Haha okay, says the guy who is constantly about to jump of the ledge. It was a simple question. 

14 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Would love to listen to podcast later.  Post a link if you have one.

You'll have to read it. 
https://undfootball360.com/news/post-signing-day-live-chat

Right under where it says "Vote Vote" in blue you'll have to click on "Chat" of "Live Info Chat" buttons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Haha okay, says the guy who is constantly about to jump of the ledge. It was a simple question. 

Mischaracterization. I would think you know better.

I’ve been ridiculously labeled as an alarmist merely because I’ve realistically identified issues which have obviously been recently present; thus the 9-13 record over past 2 seasons. Even Bubba indirectly acknowledged this with the staff changes.

Freund is the hope/potential that all, including both realists and delusionists, should cling to as 2019 approaches. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’ve been ridiculously labeled as an alarmist merely because I’ve realistically identified issues which have obviously been recently present; thus the 9-13 record over past 2 seasons.

Freund is the hope/potential all, both realists and delusionists, should cling to as 2019 approaches. 

I do know better...I was just messing with you. I am labeling myself as cautiously optimistic for the upcoming year. I hope we are all pleasantly surprised with the product on the field this year!

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, ND1 said:

360 guys predict Kett and then Grover as the backup QB.  I have heard this as well, Interesting I must say.  

Did Grover take his redshirt last year, making him and Boltman Sophomores in 2019?  

Kett and Zim are both redshirted Srs.  

Will be interesting to see how the offense changes

sitting in the stands last years we could almost call every play before it happened

i think I was surprised once when Rudy called a naked bootleg other wise you knew what was coming

i hope we start going more on 4th and shorts too

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’ve been ridiculously labeled as an alarmist merely because I’ve realistically identified issues which have obviously been recently present; thus the 9-13 record over past 2 seasons. Even Bubba indirectly acknowledged this with the staff changes.

Freund is the hope/potential that all, including both realists and delusionists, should cling to as 2019 approaches. 

Being an optimist I like to think of it us as being 18-16 over the past 3 seasons or 6-5 last year rather than 9-13 over the last 2.:)

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Being an optimist I like to think of it us as being 18-16 over the past 3 seasons or 6-5 last year rather than 9-13 over the last 2.:)

If our defense stays healthy and with Freund at OC we will make the playoffs.  Even with the tough schedule this year.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind the QB battle to be played out on the field.  Let's face it, we have no proven starter right now for Danny's system.  I thought we stuck with Kett too much later in the year 2018 when you could see the wheels falling off.  The sacred 1 QB is the starter throughout the season logic is like our previous offense, stale.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Kab said:

Will be interesting to see how the offense changes

sitting in the stands last years we could almost call every play before it happened

i think I was surprised once when Rudy called a naked bootleg other wise you knew what was coming

i hope we start going more on 4th and shorts too

Like the going for 4th and short IF the o line has been getting any kind of push

this would be against everything that bubba has known and felt comfortable with doing all his coaching life - probably against any risk he has taken outside of coaching 

52 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Like the going for 4th and short IF the o line has been getting any kind of push

this would be against everything that bubba has known and felt comfortable with doing all his coaching life - probably against any risk he has taken outside of coaching 

Let's get her done on 3rd down, or even earlier. March with a vengeance.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m a big Bolt fan and hope he gets a shot but I had heard that if Rudy would have still been here, thank god he’s not, that Bolt likely would have made the switch so I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it. 

Transferring? Switching to D? What do you mean switch? I don’t think he should switch. With Zim and Kett graduating it would leave just Grover, Boltman and Schuster for 2020. I haven’t ever done this but I’m going to predict that Schuster starts in 2020. I’m not saying anything bad about Boltman. I really think this Schuster is going to be the man for us for four years. Cue the doubters. 

2 minutes ago, bang said:

Transferring? Switching to D? What do you mean switch? I don’t think he should switch. With Zim and Kett graduating it would leave just Grover, Boltman and Schuster for 2020. I haven’t ever done this but I’m going to predict that Schuster starts in 2020. I’m not saying anything bad about Boltman. I really think this Schuster is going to be the man for us for four years. Cue the doubters. 

To D sorry was referring to my previous comment. I just think he’s a good athlete than needs to see the field. I hope it’s behind the center but if that opportunity doesn’t present itself or is looking less likely than why not put him somewhere where he can see the field?

12 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m a big Bolt fan and hope he gets a shot but I had heard that if Rudy would have still been here, thank god he’s not, that Bolt likely would have made the switch so I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss it. 

We all know that Rudy is and was terrible at developing QB's so I wouldn't take anything that he said at all. (Heidelbough)

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2019 at 10:13 AM, AJS said:

How are these assessments? Looking at each positional group in '19 compared to '18: First '19 projection, second '18 grade:

QB: 6 / 5: Return everyone, so it won't be worse. With a new OC, comes a new system and a new QB competition. 

RB: 7 / 8: UND loses the best tandem in school history, Oliveria was dominant last year, Santiago unfortunately was hurt most season. This should still be a position of strength with JJ, Weah, London and Gordon moving back. Still deep and talented.

OLine: 8 / 6: Lose one starter, but return 6 guys who I'd consider "starters". The depth is finally starting to build with this unit and they start out with a fantastic base. Six guys returning that have played big minutes is crucial. It's reasonable to expect a handful of guys who weren't part of that 6 to be ready for minutes this year.

WR: 8 / 7 : Injuries really hurt this unit last year along with youth. Return everyone that played significant minutes. Have the experience with the big receivers (Wanzek, Toivonen, Maag), Adeoti gives them speed. Need a guy like Mckinney to take another step as he has big time speed. Guys like Greibel to get more comfortable with the offense.

TE / FB: Lose Fielder, but really tough to give an assessment since they were so under utilized.

Offense Overall: 8 / 6: It's tough to get over the last three games, but they were Ok before that. The biggest pro is the coaching change, that will make this offense (no other changes), better. I think there's a lot to like as far as player personnel goes. For starters, the O-Line will be improved, which helps out every other position. When looking at the QB / WR / O-Line you only lose one starter and minimal depth (1 O-Line / 1 WR - I'm not sure if Stiner played and Stanley barely played) in those 3 units combined. This new outlook should really help the QB position. You still have a really good RB unit. This really could be a good group. Is this the most overall depth they've had in the D1 era?

Safety: 8 / 7: Return everybody 

CB: 8 / 7: Lose Harris, which is a big loss, return two solid established players (Holm, Blubaugh). Holm is a potential all-conference guy this year (if UND was in a conference) and Blubaugh improved immensely his sophomore year. The depth should be better this year, they basically only went 3 deep last year. Siegel / Odom are highly regarded and both played their 4 games while keeping their RS. You add the Hawaii transfer to the mix. I'm not sure their roll next year, but they bring in the best Freshman CB tandem in school history with Fort / Nelson.

OLB: 7 / 6: Lose 1 starter (Palmborg), which is a big, but only loss. Turner is great, huge getting Haas back. Need Lawrence healthy.

ILB: 8 / 8: You return both starters, who are very good. Hunt as well, but lose your depth with 2 Seniors graduating. Need a couple others to step into those roles.

D-Line: 5 / 7: Bennett is a monster, will Ott be back to 100%? I'm not worried about the DE's, but there's a massive hole at NG. 

Defense Overall: 7 / 7: It all comes down to the NG position. Not worried at all about the secondary of the Linebackers. The DE's should be fine as well. They need to either get creative (possibly moving O-Lineman to NG), but it's a position where they don't have the size. They need one guy (if it's a drop down of JUCO), but ideally need two.

Special Teams: Overall, like that they've brought in as many kickers as they have. If one can find the end zone on kick offs, that'll do wonders for at least one aspect. 

What about any Defensive guys moving to the Offensive side with the new system??   Anyone heard?  lots of former RBs  WRs and TEs on that side