SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 Season

UNDBIZ

Personnel decisions aside, it's time to move on to 2019.  In the UNDFB360 write-up for the NAU game, I found the following to be interesting: 

We have been told that former UND OLB Ray Haas is back on campus and plans to join the team at Christmas break – that would be huge boost to that position group.

https://undfootball360.com/news/hawks-come-up-short-against-lumberjacks/

Hopefully he's all in.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Personnel decisions aside, it's time to move on to 2019.  In the UNDFB360 write-up for the NAU game, I found the following to be interesting: 

https://undfootball360.com/news/hawks-come-up-short-against-lumberjacks/

Hopefully he's all in.

Good news! Really liked is upside and his frame. Excited to see what he can do.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

Is 2019 a 12 game season? I thought I read that somewhere but hoping someone can confirm.

I don’t think they are planning to schedule a 12 th game.  They will play the standard 11 games and then have 2 off / bye weeks. We will need it as we play NDSU, Weber, Sam Houston, UC Davis, eastern wash as key matchups 

• Upvote 1

Major defensive question mark: How will 2 senior starting defensive linemen be replaced with additional question regarding nose guard depth?

Major offensive question mark: WHO IS THE NEW OC AND WHAT IS THE STYLE OF OFFENSE/PLAN?

Major special team question mark: Will K Brady Leach improve and will another kicker be brought in to compete?

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Major defensive question mark: How will 2 senior starting defensive linemen be replaced with additional question regarding nose guard depth?

Major offensive question mark: WHO IS THE NEW OC AND WHAT IS THE STYLE OF OFFENSE/PLAN?

Major special team question mark: Will K Brady Leach improve and will another kicker be brought in to compete?

I hope someone else is brought in to compete but it was nice to see him go 3 for 3 on Saturday with the long one at 43. I suppose that was the one bright spot on Saturday.

10 minutes ago, ND1 said:

I don’t think they are planning to schedule a 12 th game.  They will play the standard 11 games and then have 2 off / bye weeks. We will need it as we play NDSU, Weber, Sam Houston, UC Davis, eastern wash as key matchups 

I see, that makes sense. Is the schedule posted? I just went to the main website and only the non conference games are posted.

Unless we can get another crappy D1 team to come in to the Al. I would go for that. 

13 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I hope someone else is brought in to compete but it was nice to see him go 3 for 3 on Saturday with the long one at 43. I suppose that was the one bright spot on Saturday.

Agreed on Leach being the bright spot.

Specials have to be a net positive next season with no blocked punts and 90% FG inside of 45.

Offense has nowhere to go but up overall, replacing Brady and John will be easier because they were used so poorly.  Johannesson needs to become much more durable.  OL could be heads and tails better with off-season development and better coaching.  Hopefully one of the QB's steps forward and gives us above average QB play in every game.  New OC will recognize the fact we do have TE's and they can catch passes.

Defense  need DL depth but has the potential to be really good.  Need Ott back healthy and 25 lbs heavier, Morrison and Seguin with big offseasons.  Hearing Ray Haas is back practicing.  Could be a monster coming off the edge if he is focused.  Combining Haas with Rodgers, Turner and Larson could make for a great set of LB'ers. DB's should also be really good with a great set of returners led by Holm.

Overall we need much better off season S&C than we traditionally get.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

I see, that makes sense. Is the schedule posted? I just went to the main website and only the non conference games are posted.

Unless we can get another crappy D1 team to come in to the Al. I would go for that. 

31 Drake
Sept. 7 at NDSU
Sept. 14 Sam Houston State
Sept. 21 Open
Sept. 28 at Eastern Washington*
Oct. 5 UC Davis*
Oct. 12 at Idaho State*
Oct. 19 at Cal Poly*
Oct. 26 Montana State*
Nov. 2 Bye
Nov. 9 at Weber State*
Nov. 16 Northern Colorado*
Nov. 23 Southern Utah*
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

South Dakota and NDSU are both playing 12 next year, and I'd hope we'd follow suit.  Can't verify SDSU.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ND1 said:
31 Drake
Sept. 7 at NDSU
Sept. 14 Sam Houston State
Sept. 21 Open
Sept. 28 at Eastern Washington*
Oct. 5 UC Davis*
Oct. 12 at Idaho State*
Oct. 19 at Cal Poly*
Oct. 26 Montana State*
Nov. 2 Bye
Nov. 9 at Weber State*
Nov. 16 Northern Colorado*
Nov. 23 Southern Utah*

How many of those games are wins? I got 6.

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

We do already have six home games for the first time since 2014.  A seventh home game would be nice but so would a payday game.  I'd be fine with adding either.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ND1 said:

Absolute killer schedule

25 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Playoffs or a new staff in 2020

That's the bottom line

If those are the only 2 options available I'll go with B...new staff. 

That schedule is a meat grinder. Would have to go 5-1 at home to have a playoff shot if schedule stays at 11 games.

• Upvote 1

Looks like the O has all linemen back except Aplin. If they hit the weights this could be a plus group.

WR's include Wanzek and Maag. These two should be two of the top WR's in the conference IF the QB gets the ball to them. Wanzek really impressed me this year. I'd say he was the O player of the year. Still have hopes for Cloyd. Looks the part of a TE!

Will Boltman move past the upper classmen? Does Case have a chance to come in and play as a Frosh?

Johannesson should be a monster. Gordon move back to RB? Otis gonna be player? 

Which RSFrosh will make an impact?

35 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

6-5 next year will be equivalent to 8-3 this year.

6-5 probably is a playoff record next year. I think we can be even better than that mark.  I also think the schedule sets up nicely: 3 games, off, 5 games, off, 3 games, so I wouldn’t try to get a 12th game.  2019 will be a good barometer of where we are at as we head into MVFC.