SiouxSports.com Forum

Filling the Ralph

Telly33

36 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

“The hockey game is sort of incidental “

I agree with this statement. In fact this is the way it is with me. UND hockey is an experience, of which part of the experience is the game. 

I enjoy the pregame and intermission as much as the game. In fact, for me not growing playing hockey, the game itself is many time monotonous. This will make me pretty popular here.  :glare:

The game itself can be exciting at times. I am there to enjoy the crowd, band, friends, people watching and yes watch the game.

if we expect students to go to the game solely because they are big hockey fans I think we will fail. Same with all our sports. It has to be a fun total experience.

Exactly, not everyone is diehard hockey fans and that needs to be recognized and catered to.

• Upvote 4

Just now, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Interesting, is that a new thing? I've known dozens of people that have gotten MIP and not one has gone to jail for a night. I mean I can understand if you're being an ass to the cop or disorderly but that's a whole different issue. I've never seen cops haul anyone away from a house party to jail after busting it up and handing out tickets.

Yes, one can spend the night in the hoosegow for a MIP.

23 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are dumb enough to underage drink in a public facility that has ushers monitoring your activity and security guards literally feet away to bust you, I really don't have too much sympathy for you.  Also, if you need to get drunk to enjoy a hockey game, you really aren't there for the right reasons. 

I think probably 90% of fans in vegas were drinking pretty heavily.  What !@#!$ fans.  Students who are 21 and over should be able to drink like all other adults.  And it does make the game and atmosphere better.  You think lawson lunatics are all sober?  If the students who are dumb enough to underage drink in public didn't go to the games, you would lose easily 1/3 of the student section.  Probably more.

I don't think me or any of my friends ever went to a single game sober.

• Upvote 3

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:10 PM, Sioux-Hockey-Fan said:

IMO its the cost of a ticket that keeps me on my couch watching on TV.  Playoff games are cheaper than regular season games.  I have a family of 3 and we can easily drop $200 just for tickets and gas.  Not to mention my wife and daughters frequent visits to the concession stands every other icing call.

I think you hit on the most important part of filling the stadium.  No one wants to go watch a team that is not putting the effort in.  In saying this, I have a feeling the second half of this season is going to be one that is going to be great.  The team is finally healthy and hopefully Brad can get out of his own way on the bench.  IMO, this stadium is going to be full in the next few series.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Clearly you CAN spend time in jail for a minor. My point was more to the 'does it actually happen?' The only person I've ever known to do jail time was a friend who got 5 or 6 of them and had to spend a weekend or 2 in jail for it.  Funnily enough, he's now a sheriff's deputy.

Yes it does actually happen

On 12/31/2018 at 11:31 AM, UNDBIZ said:

If you don't let "kids be kids" at the REA, they'll find somewhere else to do it.

If the letting "kids be kids" means looking the other way as underage individuals consume alcoholic beverages, yeah the REA doesn't get to do that.  If that means the kids will find somewhere else to "be kids," so be it.

There are substantial consequences to a facility like REA that looks the other way regarding underage consumption of alcohol.  North Dakota's dram shop liability statute is broad.  One of those kids gets in a car and causes an accident, it'll be on the REA.  It'll also be on the idiot friend who bought the beer for him.

The REA needs to be ejecting underage drinkers.  Every time they do that, I bet they keep track of it.  That way when they get sued because someone was drunk and is underage and was at the REA, they can trot out their policies, and they can bring in the security people who will talk about the zero tolerance policy and talk about the number of people kicked out, etc...

Plus, that completely ignores the entire liquor licensing issue.  You sell to minors, you lose the license.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, SJHovey said:

If the letting "kids be kids" means looking the other way as underage individuals consume alcoholic beverages, yeah the REA doesn't get to do that.  If that means the kids will find somewhere else to "be kids," so be it.

There are substantial consequences to a facility like REA that looks the other way regarding underage consumption of alcohol.  North Dakota's dram shop liability statute is broad.  One of those kids gets in a car and causes an accident, it'll be on the REA.  It'll also be on the idiot friend who bought the beer for him.

The REA needs to be ejecting underage drinkers.  Every time they do that, I bet they keep track of it.  That way when they get sued because someone was drunk and is underage and was at the REA, they can trot out their policies, and they can bring in the security people who will talk about the zero tolerance policy and talk about the number of people kicked out, etc...

Plus, that completely ignores the entire liquor licensing issue.  You sell to minors, you lose the license.

My post was more in reference to not allowing them to stand, chant anything "dirty," or show up to the game after drinking elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

On 12/31/2018 at 12:58 PM, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are dumb enough to underage drink in a public facility that has ushers monitoring your activity and security guards literally feet away to bust you, I really don't have too much sympathy for you.  Also, if you need to get drunk to enjoy a hockey game, you really aren't there for the right reasons. 

Obviously you weren't at the Old Ralph, Memorial Stadium, and the Hyslop during the late 70's.  It was fun, rowdy, and yes alcohol was involved.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, LH Golfer said:

Obviously you weren't at the Old Ralph, Memorial Stadium, and the Hyslop during the late 70's.  It was fun, rowdy, and yes alcohol was involved.

I get that.  But these are completely different times.  I think it goes without saying that many things that were socially acceptable in the 70's would definitely not fly today. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Besides the standing, what University for any sport allows you to do any of those things in the student section?!! 

Almost every student section, on big national broadcasts of other universities  I hear “f the$&@!” The students now can barely do a crude sexual joke without getting threatened to be kicked out.

if they keep these rules up the students will just be another section and nothing special. 

2 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

Do they arrest students just for having been drinking, or only for taking alcohol into the arena?

I haven’t heard just for drinking before but if they are belligerent or attract attention from the police they may be questioned and busted. We drank all the time before games but were smart about it and didn’t get stupid or sneak booze in.

i guess we should all be little church angels in the hall of Ralph just Siouxperfan wants... college students acting like college students.... oh my..... that’s SiouxperLAME

I get that.  But these are completely different times.  I think it goes without saying that many things that were socially acceptable in the 70's would definitely not fly today. 

You are right college students shouldn’t be allowed to have fun anymore. Get off your high horse dude

Besides the standing, what University for any sport allows you to do any of those things in the student section?!! 

Was at U Wis football game 2 seasons ago and student section (opposite side) were going back and forth with one side yelling "f___ you" and the other side "eat s___" (a take-off on the old Miller Lite slogan).  Was at the opposite end of the stadium and heard it loud and clear.  I never heard a warning from the PA announcer to stop the chant.  

GDPritch, I am not hear on my high horse saying that students shouldn't be allowed to have fun.  I am just saying that we live in a different world now than we did even 10 years ago where people, including authority figures, are less tolerant of peoples actions that were just part of the norm back in the day.  Is it a better atmosphere when the student section is a little tuned up and is standing and chirping profanities at the other team?  Absolutely!!  I am just stating that those sort of actions don't go over well as much as they were in the past.  We live in a world where everyone is offended by everything.  And unfortunately, the minority offended voice is often the loudest and heard the most.  So student sections are becoming quieter and lamer.  And as a result, less students are showing up.  

So I agree with you in your point that rules at the Ralph have become stricter and as a result, have made the student section unenthusiastic and lame and has caused students to not even show up.  And that sucks. 

• Upvote 1

I don't remember being rude (I don't swear a whole lot  :hypocrite: )at hockey games back in my UND days. That said, I do remember drinking on the way to the game (walking across campus), drinking in line to get into the game and sneaking alcohol into the game. I do remember the whole experience was something I looked forward to and had fun doing.

This was before alcohol was served at games at the old Ralph.

sigh - at times I miss the old Ralph! Smaller and filled with fun times.

2 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

sigh - at times I miss the old Ralph! Smaller and filled with fun times.

I do too - I am old enough to be a veteran of the Old Barn where you had to drink to stay alive.  However, I believe if you applied the modern "enforcement tactics to the Old Ralph they would suck a lot of the fun and energy out of there too.  At times at the Alerus I have seen 5-6 cops and security just standing above the student section, ever scanning for the slight hint of misbehavior or fun.  That theory has filtered to the Ralph too - much more than when it opened.  No one wants excessively drunk, rowdy, or crude students but for heaven's sake leave them alone unless they are causing trouble.  Having someone looking almost over your shoulder and ever monitoring for slight infractions or enthusiasm sucks much of the energy out of the student section.  I also would like the student cheers to be a bit more organized - perhaps by some "leaders" who organize them.  One feature of the Old Ralph was the Farce, whose chants and taunts were researched and clever.  They were allowed to be kids and nothing bad happened.  Once again the prudes and PC idiots are trying to ruin it for everyone.  We want a fun and loud home crowd and if someone hears the word "sucks" then shut up and suck it up, buttercup.  Everyone is exposed to much worse on the radio or on the news.  Oh, and scoring some would help the energy also.

• Upvote 4