SiouxSports.com Forum

Filling the Ralph

Telly33

On 12/1/2018 at 8:56 AM, sprig said:

It's ok imo. Those who own 6 more seats, use 2 for games, and sell the others for profit to recover their donation/season ticket price deserve to get kicked in the butt. There are numerous empty seats now because they can't sell them for outrageous prices (150 and higher per seat) . One family with 4 lower bowl seats in the south end NEVER have used those seats since the ralph opened, they have sold them for profit. Soon the waiting list will disappear as season tickets are dropped. I'll be glad to see those that want to be in those seats get them.

Isn't it somewhat concerning that people can't even get face for a series against ostensibly our biggest in-conference rival?  There are many tickets for the Denver series right now going for $20-$30 apiece.  I agree about the people who are buying them just to sell them getting kicked in the butt part, but if there isn't demand for a Denver series when will there be?

4 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Isn't it somewhat concerning that people can't even get face for a series against ostensibly our biggest in-conference rival?  There are many tickets for the Denver series right now going for $20-$30 apiece.  I agree about the people who are buying them just to sell them getting kicked in the butt part, but if there isn't demand for a Denver series when will there be?

I'm looking at Craigslist and most are listed $40 to  $50 for lower and $30 to $40 for upper. Seems like normal prices to me for the most lart.

1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

Biggest in conference rival or not, both teams need to play better. At this point I'd pay a premium for the Mankato series over this one.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:29 PM, northernraider said:

Could be worse in trying to get attendance up

. Bemidji State is having Buy one $20 ticket for tonight's game against Huntsville and get in tomorrow night for free. 

A single game ticket is usual $16

I was told they're having a hell of a time getting butts in the seats in Bemidji, too. The game against UND helped their overall sales numbers. 

CC really baffles me.  They are averaging 3,400 this year, and they used to average around 6k, until I think last year.  And they were averaging 6k when they were way worse than they are now.  Does this have something to do with the new arena that they are bulding?  Did they used to give out free tickets and they stopped?  I think that is what Omaha did when they built their new arena - stopped giving away free and discounted dickets to pay for the new arena, and attendance went down by a few K.  

On 12/7/2018 at 1:56 PM, streetsahead said:

On 12/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, Cratter said:

I'm looking at Craigslist and most are listed $40 to  $50 for lower and $30 to $40 for upper. Seems like normal prices to me for the most lart.

I came to the series last weekend from Des Moines, so this was a planned trip. Bought tickets for $50 per night through the University which is fine, I wanted them secured. The second night, my wife's Uncle came along. Got a 2nd row seat for $10 before the game had even started, outside from someone. It was awesome for him, but I was taken aback how the heck that happened?!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Filling the Ralph is critical for many reasons: culture, recruiting, financials, prestige, bragging rights, player retention, identity, etc.

Not least of of all, just plain fun for everyone: students, ticket holders, the team, our fans everywhere, visiting teams and fans, and the guy at home with a TV. 

Reasons and solutions are multiple, but the bottom line is it’s up to the school to decide if it’s important or not.

If it’s important then the school needs to put someone in charge who will take the job seriously and who will involve everyone possible and entertain every idea. Involve the administration, student groups, sanctioned and club sports, boosters, the team, coaches, charities, awareness programs, churches, restaurants, bars, primary schools, high school athletics, anyone with leadership or organizational skills, the state, the city, and every reasonable facet of the community. 

There is no point in blaming someone or social change, the problems and answers are a mixed bag and a gray area. It’s really about solutions, many of which can have unexpected positive secondary effects  

There are experiments everywhere that have worked and haven’t worked so the wheel doesn’t need to be entirely reinvented. We just need someone with drive and initiative  holding the wheel 

So there are untold number of ideas that can be put to the test. Someone creative who cares, with leadership and connectivity skills should be to be given a clear directive and let’s see what happens.

Honestly, if it’s a money or bureaucratic  issue you’d be surprised the number of passionate people, including people who might read this board, with a history of uniting and successfully organizing other projects who would work for free, or for expenses.

(I’ll throw in a small idea of my own: have one or more drop off points in town to donate, and possibly tax deduct, unused tickets that can be given away in any number of creative ways. That’s a lot easier and feels better that trying to sell them before the game, and much better than letting them go unused)

So here’s to doing good things, getting involved, passion, fun, winning, reasonable prices, full cups, full seats, not being a jerk when someone needs to get out of the row ;), seeing the big picture, above all being kind, and lots of pucks in the net.  

Thanks SP for the free cyber ink and Happy Healthy New Year to all. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

(I’ll throw in a small idea of my own: have one or more drop off points in town to donate, and possibly tax deduct, unused tickets that can be given away in any number of creative ways. That’s a lot easier and feels better that trying to sell them before the game, and much better than letting them go unused)

Just want to point out that through the "My North Dakota" account manager (where you can reprint, transfer and sell tickets), there is a "Donate to Charity" option.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

you reap what you sow...the powers that be at REA, UND, UND Police took a lot of the fun out the building and it's starting to show.

Lame excuse.  Kicking out fans in the student section that are drinking an/or are drunk is not "taking the fun out of the building."  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

43 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Lame excuse.  Kicking out fans in the student section that are drinking an/or are drunk is not "taking the fun out of the building."  

u mean by "kicking out" you mean downtown to the police station and cited for underage drinking/minor in possession....or just stay at home/frat/dorms and underage drink and watch it on the tv?

38 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u mean by "kicking out" you mean downtown to the police station and cited for underage drinking/minor in possession....or just stay at home/frat/dorms and underage drink and watch it on the tv?

If you are dumb enough to underage drink in a public facility that has ushers monitoring your activity and security guards literally feet away to bust you, I really don't have too much sympathy for you.  Also, if you need to get drunk to enjoy a hockey game, you really aren't there for the right reasons. 

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If you are dumb enough to underage drink in a public facility that has ushers monitoring your activity and security guards literally feet away to bust you, I really don't have too much sympathy for you.  Also, if you need to get drunk to enjoy a hockey game, you really aren't there for the right reasons. 

Yeah if you're dumb enough to act like a college kid that wants to have fun, you deserve to spend the night in jail. Woof.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Yeah if you're dumb enough to act like a college kid that wants to have fun, you deserve to spend the night in jail. Woof.

Unless something has changed you don't spend a night in jail for a minor in possession. You are ticketed and released unless you drive, but then you deserve the night in jail.

28 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Unless something has changed you don't spend a night in jail for a minor in possession. You are ticketed and released unless you drive, but then you deserve the night in jail.

You can absolutely spend a night in jail for an MIP

21 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The hockey game is sort of incidental. The kids are going to blow off steam and throw some back after a week in class. That's just what the college experience is for a lot of students. 

“The hockey game is sort of incidental “

I agree with this statement. In fact this is the way it is with me. UND hockey is an experience, of which part of the experience is the game. 

I enjoy the pregame and intermission as much as the game. In fact, for me not growing playing hockey, the game itself is many time monotonous. This will make me pretty popular here.  :glare:

The game itself can be exciting at times. I am there to enjoy the crowd, band, friends, people watching and yes watch the game.

if we expect students to go to the game solely because they are big hockey fans I think we will fail. Same with all our sports. It has to be a fun total experience.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

You can absolutely spend a night in jail for an MIP

Interesting, is that a new thing? I've known dozens of people that have gotten MIP and not one has gone to jail for a night. I mean I can understand if you're being an ass to the cop or disorderly but that's a whole different issue. I've never seen cops haul anyone away from a house party to jail after busting it up and handing out tickets.