SiouxSports.com Forum

Filling the Ralph

Telly33

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

GDPritch, I am not hear on my high horse saying that students shouldn't be allowed to have fun.  I am just saying that we live in a different world now than we did even 10 years ago where people, including authority figures, are less tolerant of peoples actions that were just part of the norm back in the day.  Is it a better atmosphere when the student section is a little tuned up and is standing and chirping profanities at the other team?  Absolutely!!  I am just stating that those sort of actions don't go over well as much as they were in the past.  We live in a world where everyone is offended by everything.  And unfortunately, the minority offended voice is often the loudest and heard the most.  So student sections are becoming quieter and lamer.  And as a result, less students are showing up.  

So I agree with you in your point that rules at the Ralph have become stricter and as a result, have made the student section unenthusiastic and lame and has caused students to not even show up.  And that sucks. 

Screw what kind of world we have today. That doesn't mean we cannot do it differently at REA. And we should. #lightenuprea

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Screw what kind of world we have today. That doesn't mean we cannot do it differently at REA. And we should. #lightenuprea

"The University of North Dakota Athletic Department and Ralph Engelstad Arena promote good sportsmanship by student athletes, coaches, and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial, or sexist comments or other intimidating actions directed at officials, students athletes, coaches, or team representatives will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site and, if needed, additional disciplinary actions."

This has been the policy of the REA since it opened in 2001.  Pretty sure this statement has been read by the PA announce before every game since the new Ralph opened (probably even the old Ralph as well).  You can debate that enforcement has maybe increased, but it has always been the policy.

I am not meaning to sound like the old guy trying to ruin the fun of college students today (Not sure if 39 is considered old).  But I was a student sitting in the same student section back in the day, and we had a blast without having to get drunk or yell profanities at the top of our lungs.  I will agree that the PC idiots out there that are easily offended by everything have ruined it for everyone, including the REA.

• Like 1

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

"The University of North Dakota Athletic Department and Ralph Engelstad Arena promote good sportsmanship by student athletes, coaches, and spectators. We request your cooperation by supporting the participants and officials in a positive manner. Profanity, racial, or sexist comments or other intimidating actions directed at officials, students athletes, coaches, or team representatives will not be tolerated and are grounds for removal from the site and, if needed, additional disciplinary actions."

This has been the policy of the REA since it opened in 2001.  Pretty sure this statement has been read by the PA announce before every game since the new Ralph opened (probably even the old Ralph as well).  You can debate that enforcement has maybe increased, but it has always been the policy.

I am not meaning to sound like the old guy trying to ruin the fun of college students today (Not sure if 39 is considered old).  But I was a student sitting in the same student section back in the day, and we had a blast without having to get drunk or yell profanities at the top of our lungs.  I will agree that the PC idiots out there that are easily offended by everything have ruined it for everyone, including the REA.

That same spiel was given at the Old REA as well. It just wasn't enforced to the extreme like it is today. And the student section in the Old REA had plenty of profanity and craziness. In the New REA, anything that does not involve politely clapping for both teams will get you kicked out or worse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

That same spiel was given at the Old REA as well. It just wasn't enforced to the extreme like it is today. And the student section in the Old REA had plenty of profanity and craziness. In the New REA, anything that does not involve politely clapping for both teams will get you kicked out or worse.

Including occasional crowd surfing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is where things start to get a little hazy. Are we going to get into hyperbole, anecdotes, rumors, etc.?

On the fan conduct intervention spectrum from <-----NOTHING-----receiving the stink-eye from a uniformed usher-----getting a one-on-one talking-to in the concourse-----forceful removal-----student academic discipline----lifetime ban-----criminal charges----->, I suspect that UND/REA is quite heavily tilted to one side, ESPECIALLY for borderline boorish conduct that does not involve alcohol/drugs/weapons/threats/fighting.

If anyone has reliable information, facts, or data, I'd be interested in seeing it.

45 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Social media didn't exist at the old Ralph... All you need is one social media posts with a racist/sexist/etc chant going viral and it will be a &#33;@#&#036; storm for the University.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Social media didn't exist at the old Ralph... All you need is one social media posts with a racist/sexist/etc chant going viral and it will be a &#33;@#&#036; storm for the University.

So perhaps we should install data dampeners so people can't use their phones inside? :silly:

All sarcasm aside, I think that is a little far-fetched and not likely.

3.) Get off your damn phones and watch the game. How about some 20 sec. public service announcements on the video board about putting the phone down instead of encouraging people to be on the UND app or whatever.  Voting for the player of the game on your phone adds zero to the overall experience and just encourages distraction.  There's nothing like a critical moment in the game and the announcement to get on your phones and vote for the POG to really get the fans mentally checked out of the game and focused on getting the stupid app to load.

^^^^^^This 

Good ideas 

Seems people no longer enjoy the moment because they are too busy doing a selfie or taking video of the moment. 

Would be nice if the school took filling the REA serious enough to form a group to gather ideas and implement them. It’s not rocket science, just care enough to try things. 

On 1/3/2019 at 1:21 PM, LH Golfer said:

Old Ralph: Hanging Badgers, Gopher tosses, and the occasional chickens on the ice.

New Ralph: selfies, selfies, and more selfies.

and insanley loud and awkward music snippets at every possible stoppage that actually stymies the potential crowd noise...

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

and insanley loud and awkward music snippets at every possible stoppage that actually stymies the potential crowd noise...

This and the PA guy doesn't have to bellow out announcement after announcement during every nanosecond that play is dead.  Isn't there an organ somewhere in the joint?  Have that thing play occasionally during puck stoppages. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I just noticed a genius on Craigslist listed his two of tickets as $40 each or $90 for the pair.....:huh:

Well, supply and demand!  There is easily more demand for a pair of seats than individual seats, so the price is higher, right?  Maybe he will refuse to sell two individual seats to the same person.  Just playing devils advocate haha.... that wasn't me.   

35 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

Attendance predictions for this weekend? (Actual butts in the seats)

I think actual butts in the seat will be 3/4 full tonight.  The team hasn't been home for awhile and frankly alot of the casual fans don't realize what happened last weekend.  If they come out flat tonight with a 2-1 or 1-0 loss, tomorrow night could get ugly.