SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA VS miami GAMEDAY THREAD (FRIDAY)

iluvdebbies

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yup. Said this to a couple of buddies.... if we're gonna struggle a bit to score at times this season, sign me up for a team that is gonna go balls to the walls for 60 minutes and pressure the puck up and down the ice. We're so great on the draws and our defense/Scheel have been so good. Impressive stuff. We're very tough to play against.

I'm starting to like these guys. :)

1 hour ago, Godsmack said:

Wow....Brad Berry just told Hennessy that Janatuinen is a coach’s dream. Went on to say how reliable he is out there on the ice. Quite the compliment. 

He's talking about Joel????  The European kid???  :ohmy:

I'm the dumb one who questions him being out there with Poolman, Shaw, Senden, and Rhett at the end of the game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Pretty boring game.  From the looks of it Miami has been the worst team we have played this year.  Boys got up two and sat back.  That type of play was reminiscent of 1-2 years ago. They should have blew up Larkin tonight.  I think we blow them out tomorrow . 6-2 

I only get bored if a team doesn’t care but I saw a team that played hard beginning to end in a tight game. We held them to one shot on their last two PP’s which was fun to watch. We now lead the nation for lowest sog average. 

Miami’s schedule hasn’t been tough yet but Larkin had three shutouts and a 1.51 gaa coming in and he’s started 78 games. Also national goaltender of the month for October so I didn’t expect us to score more than 3.

I was hoping for 2-1 or 3-1 final score. Would be nice to get another W tomorrow, Miami has 10 frosh and will likely be a different team later in the season. Hope you are right about 6-2 but I’ll be good with 3-2. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

I was hoping for 2-1 or 3-1 final score. Would be nice to get another W tomorrow, Miami has 10 frosh and will likely be a different team later in the season. Hope you are right about 6-2 but I’ll be good with 3-2. 

Didn't know they were skating 10 freshmen, but seeing how they did have some speed and worked hard, but just couldn't "catch up" to the pace, that makes complete sense.  Good point to make at this point in the season.

Didn't see a second of the game other than highlights, but from the sounds of it another steady solid performance from Scheel.

Great quote from Schloss blog.  Talking about Karl Goehring as a freshman playing so much.  "That was 21 years ago".

I feel old.....:unsure:

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Didn't see a second of the game other than highlights, but from the sounds of it another steady solid performance from Scheel.

Great quote from Schloss blog.  Talking about Karl Goehring as a freshman playing so much.  "That was 21 years ago".

ha, when I first glanced at the article, my first thought was Eddie, raise your old by a bit...

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I believe in 96-97 Aaron Schweitzer (sp?) took over as goalie partway through the season as a freshman and held through the national championship that year.

1 hour ago, Sodbuster said:

I believe in 96-97 Aaron Schweitzer (sp?) took over as goalie partway through the season as a freshman and held through the national championship that year.

Yup, year before Karl came in.  I thought that guy would be a four year stalwart in net.  

18 hours ago, Big A HG said:

They reviewed the buzzer beater twice....the first time for goalie interference.  Then they went in the box to check to see if Miami was offside.  It turns out they were.  As UNDBIZ said, UND played the puck while it was in the zone, so the refs called it a good goal.  

Now I'm not an official, so I don't know how the rule is defined exactly.  Miami shot the puck into the zone from the near side with 18 seconds left (offside) and Miami was the first to play the puck after it rung around the boards with 15-16 seconds left, not UND.  The far side Miami player took control and made a weak attempt at a shot towards the net from the far blue line that was blocked and subsequently controlled by UND with about 12 seconds left.  That is the point they are using to call the play a good zone entry when I think it should have been dead once Miami played the puck on the far side.  Because Miami played the puck first, not UND, shouldn't it still be offside?  

If the defensive team gains possession, at any point prior to the goal, then the goal stands.

4 minutes ago, Big Lubowski said:

So was it I wa bu che, or E wa bu che? Was never sure. Did he not play on the 80 natty team?

I only ever heard I wa bu che ...  

For parts of both seasons with UND (78-79 and 79-80), when the other goaltender was having a slump, he was really good.   And he was flashy in making reaction saves which was crowd pleasing.   

In 1980, by the time tournament time rolled around, freshman Darren Jensen was the #1, and he played the title game in Providence.  (Plus Jensen later played in the NHL ... and was a really sound goaltender.)  Iwabuchi was backing up for those games.

3 hours ago, sprig said:

Peter Waselovich for the win (Bjork Rubeman era)

I began watching Sioux hockey in the Earl Anderson-Jim Cahoon years, and Waselovich was in net for the last couple of years I was an undergrad.  I can't for the life of me remember who was in net before him.   Whoever it was would have seen a lot of rubber.  :)

For you, Sprig, those were roughly D. Overbo years too, if I recall.  Boy had a heater. 

21 minutes ago, burd said:

I began watching Sioux hockey in the Earl Anderson-Jim Cahoon years, and Waselovich was in net for the last couple of years I was an undergrad.  I can't for the life of me remember who was in net before him.   Whoever it was would have seen a lot of rubber.  :)

For you, Sprig, those were roughly D. Overbo years too, if I recall.  Boy had a heater. 

Murphy in the barn with Earl  and Cahoon