SiouxSports.com Forum

Who would UND hire?

F'n Hawks

The thing is If we fire the whole staff, we likely lose a lot of the good recruits,  particularly that QB. Because you know we will be lame and do a 30 day hire period, which means signing day will have come and gone in December before we name a new coach and we will be screwed with half a class. Maybe some good current players transfer.  It happened last time, dont think some players wont leave again if we fire the whole staff. That said I do think Bubba isn't the right guy and we need to make a change. Chaves has his work cut out for him,  hope he earns his paycheck appropriately.  

9 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

The thing is If we fire the whole staff, we likely lose a lot of the good recruits,  particularly that QB. Because you know we will be lame and do a 30 day hire period, which means signing day will have come and gone in December before we name a new coach and we will be screwed with half a class. Maybe some good current players transfer.  It happened last time, dont think some players wont leave again if we fire the whole staff. That said I do think Bubba isn't the right guy and we need to make a change. Chaves has his work cut out for him,  hope he earns his paycheck appropriately.  

It's important to give Chaves credit for being a competent athletics coordinator. This isn't Faison shenanigans we are talking about.

Now, it remains to be seen if Chaves would dare do anything this early in his tenure. I highly doubt it so most of this will be a moot point. But, in the event Chaves did see an opportunity to hire someone with DI experience that he knows via his Eastern Washington days, UND absolutely needs to go through with it.

You don't worry about 1 year of recruits over the possibility of years of success. How does that even make sense?

Its all about the rewards vs. the risks.

If you make a big time hire, the reward of winning many games and championships far outweighs the risk of losing a SINGLE YEAR of recruits. This is the logic used all over college football so its far from new.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think everybody is getting way ahead of themselves here on already talking of replacing coach. This team is not that far from being top FCS team but everyone around here wants us to get to where are neighbor is to the south. We were a 6 and 5 team that showed again we are lacking the depth to complete a full season. We have come along way but this team still needs more recruits and depth they want to make it to next tier of FCS. We have had injuries like all other programs but  what I see is that if we have multiple injuries in certain area's we don't have the depth of players to fill in.  On Saturday it was evident with loss of the Tight ends we were struggling to do things we wanted offensively. It effected our ground game as well as our passing game. Also this season we had hard time on special teams but again this goes to having large amount of depth. The first thing I will hear will be it is coaching by not getting these players. But a fact here is that with success to south its harder to find these kids that you need that will walk on become good football players because so many of these kids that do that like to be associated with program that has been winning playing in playoff games. So it takes time to build a program and we do need to win that is why Saturday's loss is such a set back for the program.  Changing coaches to me just puts us farther behind because basically we would be starting over again we would become like Gophers start to build something where your beginning to win and that's not good enough again so start over again but they have never gotten better than where they were to begin with. It takes time to build a winner and takes fan base and alumni that needs to stick with program and be willing to support the program in anyway that could help it get better. AD needs to talk to the coach on goals and what needs to be improved but also how he as AD assist this program to getting to the goals they want to achieve. I look at this season we were probably couple of plays from going to playoffs this year I think if you changed couple of plays this team could have been 8 - 3 easily and everyone be talking about how good we would be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ND-fan said:

I think everybody is getting way ahead of themselves here on already talking of replacing coach. This team is not that far from being top FCS team but everyone around here wants us to get to where are neighbor is to the south. We were a 6 and 5 team that showed again we are lacking the depth to complete a full season. We have come along way but this team still needs more recruits and depth they want to make it to next tier of FCS. We have had injuries like all other programs but  what I see is that if we have multiple injuries in certain area's we don't have the depth of players to fill in.  On Saturday it was evident with loss of the Tight ends we were struggling to do things we wanted offensively. It effected our ground game as well as our passing game. Also this season we had hard time on special teams but again this goes to having large amount of depth. The first thing I will hear will be it is coaching by not getting these players. But a fact here is that with success to south its harder to find these kids that you need that will walk on become good football players because so many of these kids that do that like to be associated with program that has been winning playing in playoff games. So it takes time to build a program and we do need to win that is why Saturday's loss is such a set back for the program.  Changing coaches to me just puts us farther behind because basically we would be starting over again we would become like Gophers start to build something where your beginning to win and that's not good enough again so start over again but they have never gotten better than where they were to begin with. It takes time to build a winner and takes fan base and alumni that needs to stick with program and be willing to support the program in anyway that could help it get better. AD needs to talk to the coach on goals and what needs to be improved but also how he as AD assist this program to getting to the goals they want to achieve. I look at this season we were probably couple of plays from going to playoffs this year I think if you changed couple of plays this team could have been 8 - 3 easily and everyone be talking about how good we would be in the playoffs.

Would you like to explain the regression from 2016 to present? UND football has gotten worse over the past couple seasons, not better. 

The depth issue is inherent of the coaching. The coaches recruit and place the players in their respective positions, both on the depth chart and on the field. 

As for top FCS team, I don’t agree. Are you saying top 30 team? Because then I suppose I agree with you but that won’t mean playoffs, which at the University of North Dakota should mean failure. 

Don’t blame NDSU’s success for UND’s failures. Like you said, UND easily could’ve won a few more games this season with simply more competent quarterback and special teams play. 

Lastly, I don’t agree with you that one shouldn’t change coaches if it’s not working. College football has a well established record of quick turnarounds if the right coach with the right culture to be instilled is hired.

Right now UND is not a confident nor well coached bunch. Whether us as friends of Bubba want to admit it or not, Bubba’s squad was unprepared and lazy at times. They were out of position on offense and rarely forced the defense out of position with QB coaching, scheme, tempo, timely aggression, etc. The punt protection scheme cost UND games AGAIN this season. 

North Dakota nice says allow the coaches as much time as they want here. Division I football logic says you need to win games or else you will be forgotten, including by your own fan base. UND football will be in a tough place next year if potential changes - which should be viewed as an opportunity to improve - are neglected.

UND football continues to fail the eye test because, well, they just aren’t a championship-coached program right now. You are what your record says you are: UND is an AVERAGE 6-win FCS team, certainly not championship (conference or national) caliber. Are we okay with average at UND?

Go UND!

• Upvote 2

As to the post above this team is nowhere near being a "top FCS team"........ offensively and ST wise this current team was the worst I've seen in the last 20+ years. It's been 11 years since UND moved to D1 so how much time does it take "to build a program"?

Reality is this team is 4 years or more from even being a top MVC team let alone a top FCS team......and that will require better players and coaches.

• Upvote 2

Bubba might be a good coach in a lot of aspects, he loves this University, and is a hell of a guy, BUT I'm starting to doubt he has a good feel for making in game decisions. It's like he always has that "oh !@#$" look on his face like he didn't prepare for this situation ( 4th down decisions, QB Change?, Etc). Even though I'm sure he's prepared for them, it just seems like he can't make the right decision at game speed. I'm guessing he's not going anywhere this year and I'm content with that, but if no other coaching changes are made I'm dropping 2 of my season tickets and will still go to some games, but I won't be able to buy into this team fully again.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Last year we were expected to challenge for a bye in the playoffs without all of the injuries.   When all of the injuries happened, guys that wouldn't have played had to, so just about all of those guys should have added the depth we needed this year.  Northern Arizona was on their 4th quarterback and still found a way to win against a team that had the playoffs in front of them.  This is football, everybody has several injuries.  Last year was brutal, but it should have made the depth for this year that much greater.   I have a feeling that every year UND doesn't live up to expectations you would point to a few injuries.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ND-fan said:

It's not just the record (although that is far from acceptable) - mainly its the Coaching that was on display this year that shows a change is needed.  As to to talking to Bubba and setting goals - that made me spit up my coffee a bit.  Bubba is nothing if not totally inflexible - he hasn't shown us an adjustment or change yet.  Many games this year were almost unwatchable.  If we want to be in the exact same place with the exact same problems then Bubba's our guy.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

What a crock of !@#$ this post is. It’s been 5 years. That’s plenty of time to build depth. Even if we had the depth our offense doesn’t scheme for matchups. How many more !@#!$ athletes are we going to have to stockpile at certain skill positions to meet your depth requirement? If Bubba stays there are 3 assistants on my !@#$ list that need to go. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

As to the post above this team is nowhere near being a "top FCS team"........ offensively and ST wise this current team was the worst I've seen in the last 20+ years. It's been 11 years since UND moved to D1 so how much time does it take "to build a program"?

Reality is this team is 4 years or more from even being a top MVC team let alone a top FCS team......and that will require better players and coaches.

Disagree on the time table. A complete overhaul of a decent roster that has a few holes could happen in 2 years. Most of our holes are at the skill positions where you can turn things around in a hurry. The hogs on the other hand.... maybe another year in the weight room will drop their nuts and allow them to get a push for once. Or maybe they just aren’t good enough. We will see. That’s the one position that isn’t as quick to fix.

IMO the most disappointing task the offensive coaches failed to achieve was not finding a way to use Santiago in other positions on the offense. Arguably, UND had 2 of the best RBs in FCS football and could not figure out a way to get them both on the field at the same time.  Could they not throw Santiago in the slot? Could you imagine the matchup nightmares that would create? The lack of this shows the complete incompetence of the coaching staff. Financially, I do not think UND/Chaves is in a position to get rid of Bubba, but Rudy and Kositch need to leave immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Have you watched this team at all the last 5 years? According to you it should take 10 years to get good depth? Anybody who has been watching this team since bubba has taken over can see that he has more cons then pros. 

Don't use TE in the passing game anyways. Alex Cloyd is a junior and was supposedly a highly recruited player so the COACHES are to blame for not DEVELOPING him.

So we should just use SU as an excuse? There are plenty of kids out there Bubba just isn't finding the right ones. (recruiting kids with no other D1 offers)

I'd rather start over then keep what hasn't been working. 

If your saying it that way then you could also say they UND was a couple plays away from being 4-7 (SHSU and Portland State). So would you still be saying the same thing?

6-5 or 4-7 equals a sh$%^ football season. Changes need to be made!!!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Go Hawks said:

IMO the most disappointing task the offensive coaches failed to achieve was not finding a way to use Santiago in other positions on the offense. Arguably, UND had 2 of the best RBs in FCS football and could not figure out a way to get them both on the field at the same time.  Could they not throw Santiago in the slot? Could you imagine the matchup nightmares that would create? The lack of this shows the complete incompetence of the coaching staff. Financially, I do not think UND/Chaves is in a position to get rid of Bubba, but Rudy and Kositch need to leave immediately. 

This a thousand times. Makes me sick when I think of how much Rudy wasted those two. 

• Upvote 3