Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geaux_sioux

Time For Some New Blood

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

No, there is not much I agree with you on.   You can be as snarky as you want.   Bubba had 5 years and 50 games to work with his handpicked OC on their philosophy and play calling process.  Unless he is the worst coach ever, I'm sure they  had ongoing and numerous conversations planning for those 50 games.  Today, it came down to Bubba losing his job or firing a person who worked for him.

Bingo

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

No, there is not much I agree with you on.   You can be as snarky as you want.   Bubba had 5 years and 50 games to work with his handpicked OC on their philosophy and play calling process.  Unless he is the worst coach ever, I'm sure they  had ongoing and numerous conversations planning for those 50 games.  Today, it came down to Bubba losing his job or firing a person who worked for him.

...and if I were head coach, I would take over a play call here or there when the buck stopped with me, including having a play I would be confident in when the chips are down.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawkster said:

One things for sure, if things still don't improve next year than it's all on Bubba.  No way can he dodge the blame again.   Now the big question is, does he hire someone better or will just go back to the same well and take a mediocre candidate?  If we have another 6-5 season next year the program will be such a deep hole we won't see daylight for years to come.

The land of Mediocre Football - population us.  And apparently moving is too expensive for at least a couple of years.  Wanted - an OC who wants to move here- must be ok with gutless football.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The only Muss connection I will accept would be Landry. 

 

I hope Landry interviews.  I also hope chaves insists on someone who could potentially be elevated to head coach if needed.

Edited by Sioux95
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

No, there is not much I agree with you on.   You can be as snarky as you want.   Bubba had 5 years and 50 games to work with his handpicked OC on their philosophy and play calling process.  Unless he is the worst coach ever, I'm sure they  had ongoing and numerous conversations planning for those 50 games.  Today, it came down to Bubba losing his job or firing a person who worked for him.

No, it didn't.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody claiming UND needs to make the playoffs next year should look at the schedule.  It's the hardest in the country and it won't even be close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Anybody claiming UND needs to make the playoffs next year should look at the schedule.  It's the hardest in the country and it won't even be close.

That can’t be accurate.....there is only one MVFC team on the schedule.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Anybody claiming UND needs to make the playoffs next year should look at the schedule.  It's the hardest in the country and it won't even be close.

What's the "moral victory" line vs NDSU?

UND +21??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Anybody claiming UND needs to make the playoffs next year should look at the schedule.  It's the hardest in the country and it won't even be close.

Is Protheroe coming back for a 7th season?  Then yes, hardest schedule in FCS and FBS.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've heard, Landry is a great guy, not the brightest bulb in the bucket. Also, you'd have to think Freund is gone if he is overlooked by Chaves. Not sure if that'd be a good thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What's the "moral victory" line vs NDSU?

UND +21??

Today, the only way we stayed within 35 points of su is if they let us. Su could name the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Apparently 2 yards is longer or shorter depending on the situation. Simple math! :huh:

I don't have much more confidence in our offense converting a two point either but I'm guessing Bubba would know enough to throw the O out there to try and convert if our defense would have got a turnover for a score after the punt.  

How many more hypothetical situations do you want to throw out to try and prove what could have happened?  How much time would have been left if our defense got the hypothetical stop and our offense didn't convert your hypothetical two point conversion?    

To answer the question if all the hypotheticals you throw out hopefully our defense would have scored their hypothetical TD fast cause I would not have had much confidence in our offense to convert a two point conversion from the two yard line either so we would have had to convert on a hypothetical onside kick.  Which would have been difficult for our special teams to convert.

Of everything above I still think the most realistic opportunity was punt and get a three and out and force them to punt it and get the ball back on our side of the 50.  Not as far fetched as all your scenarios above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't have much more confidence in our offense converting a two point either but I'm guessing Bubba would know enough to throw the O out there to try and convert if our defense would have got a turnover for a score after the punt.  

How many more hypothetical situations do you want to throw out to try and prove what could have happened?  How much time would have been left if our defense got the hypothetical stop and our offense didn't convert your hypothetical two point conversion?    

To answer the question if all the hypotheticals you throw out hopefully our defense would have scored their hypothetical TD fast cause I would not have had much confidence in our offense to convert a two point conversion from the two yard line either so we would have had to convert on a hypothetical onside kick.  Which would have been difficult for our special teams to convert.

Of everything above I still think the most realistic opportunity was punt and get a three and out and force them to punt it and get the ball back on our side of the 50.  Not as far fetched as all your scenarios above.

Here are the facts.......Bubba opted to punt. UND never got the ball back. Game lost. Playoffs gone.

Obviously "the most realistic opportunity" didn't work out. So be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, homer said:

I don't have much more confidence in our offense converting a two point either but I'm guessing Bubba would know enough to throw the O out there to try and convert if our defense would have got a turnover for a score after the punt.  

How many more hypothetical situations do you want to throw out to try and prove what could have happened?  How much time would have been left if our defense got the hypothetical stop and our offense didn't convert your hypothetical two point conversion?    

To answer the question if all the hypotheticals you throw out hopefully our defense would have scored their hypothetical TD fast cause I would not have had much confidence in our offense to convert a two point conversion from the two yard line either so we would have had to convert on a hypothetical onside kick.  Which would have been difficult for our special teams to convert.

Of everything above I still think the most realistic opportunity was punt and get a three and out and force them to punt it and get the ball back on our side of the 50.  Not as far fetched as all your scenarios above.

So your premise is that this offense,  which couldn't move the ball, could move it even further with less time on the clock?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sioux95 said:

I hope Landry interviews.  I also hope chaves insists on someone who could potentially be elevated to head coach if needed.

This is what I have been thinking as well. Get somebody talented, young, hungry and confident. Let it be known that if he's successful the reigns would eventually be turned over to him. I think this gives you greatest chance from a home run hire. It's relatively low risk, high reward. If it doesn't work out, then we're heading in a new direction in a few years anyway.

I genuinely think this situation is going to be an eye opening one for the staff. Nothing they didn't already know about the football business, but what happened this year this and the aftermath is really strikes 1 and 2. The only thing that can get somebody to really take a hard look in the mirror is knowing it's either win or you're out. By staff I really mean Bubba. There's no more excuses, nobody else to throw under the bus. The clock is ticking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tnt said:

...and if I were head coach, I would take over a play call here or there when the buck stopped with me, including having a play I would be confident in when the chips are down.

BINGO....it may be painful but you do what you have to do....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tnt said:

Would be interested to see how many people think Bubba was given an ultimatum or her made the decision on his own.  Also curious to know if the pressure from fans being fed up played into the decision, or if there was finally an epiphany as to the dysfunctional state of our offense within the staff.

Well a lot of people here claimed to have wrote to the AD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

And, finally, if UND continues to deteriorate despite the difficult 2019 schedule and has a losing record, Bubba needs to go following 2019. Simple as that. No more procrastinating. Get this program going the right direction!

The athletic department is in the middle of trying to raise $30+ million. They aren't going to drop over $400k to buy out a coach 2 years early regardless of what ultimatum random fans make. I also don't see a regression coming but that's just me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The only Muss connection I will accept would be Landry. 

 

You wouldn’t take Hot Rod Carey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Anybody claiming UND needs to make the playoffs next year should look at the schedule.  It's the hardest in the country and it won't even be close.

We have the first excuse of the 2019 football season. :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...