Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
geaux_sioux

Time For Some New Blood

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, homer said:

Can you blame him?  That’s how we won the week before. 

So if the defense scores and the score is 24-22, does Bubba kick the extra point and hope to get an onside kick for a touchdown too, or does he trust his offense to go for two in a situation that would be harder to convert?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Muss ain’t coming back. He blocked just about everyone in forks on twitter including media

the media...no brainer. they suck bad....but if someone offered you a FCS job instead of a d2 job and and extra 50K you wouldn't take it....more beer money gfhockey!!!!!! ez math

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gfhockey said:

100% agree

I would sure hope so.   I had to run that post past the censors at the gobc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bubba certainly wanted a conservative offense. However, a competent conservative offense still throws the ball to the RBs and TEs. There is absolutely no way Bubba told Rudy to never run screens and never pass to the TEs. That was on Rudy and should improve going forward. Unfortunate that it's coming too late to use 2 of the best RBs in UND history.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

They screwed up the blocking all three times on the punt blocks.  That is coaching.

And it's been happening for years. This wasn't a new issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Bubba certainly wanted a conservative offense. However, a competent conservative offense still throws the ball to the RBs and TEs. There is absolutely no way Bubba told Rudy to never run screens and never pass to the TEs. That was on Rudy and should improve going forward. Unfortunate that it's coming too late to use 2 of the best RBs in UND history.

Then why didn't Bubba have that conversation over the years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

Then why didn't Bubba have that conversation over the years?

Maybe he did. Maybe he's hands off on offense. I don't sit in the meetings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

And it's been happening for years. This wasn't a new issue. 

Change punt formation.  Quit mind boinking the players, block everyone then tackle the guy with the ball, simple.  Our punter needs to speed up, too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I recall, the offensive line had issues with Mussman here, despite that being his area of expertise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tnt said:

As I recall, the offensive line had issues with Mussman here, despite that being his area of expertise. 

two things muss didn't have that bubba has is 

1. the indoor practice facility

2. a stable conference membership for his entire tenure (kinda hard to recruit when your a member of the GWC!!)

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Irish said:

I'm not sure what you see in Bubba that no one else does - He's the one who made the decision to stand pat last year. He couldn't even take care of the blocked punt situation.  And unless you are in some alternate dimension, you sure as heck didn't see him out-coach anyone in a game situation this year.  

Bubba is the kind of guy I want running my program.  He is passionate about UND fb and UND in general.  He is genuine and not an artificial hype machine - (see PJ Fleck). 

I played for a lot of different guys and different personalities in HS and college.  Coaches like Bubba got the best out of me long term. His approach reminds me of the way Dale Lennon and Rob Bollinger did things.  Maybe he will prove to be over-matched in the long term but I am not ready to make that assessment now and wouldn't make a change at head coach.   I do agree with the changes that were made today.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Change punt formation.  Quit mind boinking the players, block everyone then tackle the guy with the ball, simple.  Our punter needs to speed up, too.

the snap still seemed to be getting back a little slow at the end of the year but the punter definitely sped up his delivery in the last couple of games.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

the snap still seemed to be getting back a little slow at the end of the year but the punter definitely sped up his delivery in the last couple of games.

i think a lot of people are missing the fact that a lot of the punt rushers are 100% not blocked/ignored/free run at punter....literally a jailbreak!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i think a lot of people are missing the fact that a lot of the punt rushers are 100% not blocked/ignored/free run at punter....literally a jailbreak!

not arguing with that.  I just noticed that the punter sped up his delivery.  It was obvious at NAU

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Maybe he did. Maybe he's hands off on offense. I don't sit in the meetings. 

I thought maybe you were in the meetings since you knew Bubba certainly wanted a conservative offense and that there is absolutely no way Bubba told Rudy to never run screens and never pass to the TEs.   

In actuality only Bubba and Rudolph know the extent Bubba had in limiting  the offense under Rudolph.   5 years is a long time to stay quiet before firing someone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would be interested to see how many people think Bubba was given an ultimatum or her made the decision on his own.  Also curious to know if the pressure from fans being fed up played into the decision, or if there was finally an epiphany as to the dysfunctional state of our offense within the staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoHawks said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4531446-und-football-coach-bubba-schweigert-makes-coaching-staff-shakeup

Schweigert said he would like to move as quickly as possible to fill these roles, adding he’s open to a change in offensive philosophy.

Well that's interesting.....

This is as important to the short term future and potentially long term future of the UND football program as the changes at OC and OL. As stubborn as Bubba has been accepting change which has ultimately really hurt this team offensively, it might finally have clicked. We'll see how this plays out, but if the right hires are made and the reigns are actually given to the new OC, this could potentially really move this program into the right direction.

Not that the talent level doesn't have to increase, because it does, but this team definitely had the talent to be a playoff team this year. In fact the playoffs were almost a certainty until the wheels completely fell off offensively starting the second half against Idaho. I'm very excited to get a fresh pair of eyes especially evaluating the QB position. There's a lot of talent returning on both sides of the ball. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

I thought maybe you were in the meetings since you knew Bubba certainly wanted a conservative offense and that there is absolutely no way Bubba told Rudy to never run screens and never pass to the TEs.   

In actuality only Bubba and Rudolph know the extent Bubba had in limiting  the offense under Rudolph.   5 years is a long time to stay quiet before firing someone.

You're right. I'm sure Bubba pulled Rudy aside and said "you know, we have really athletic RBs. Don't throw them the ball. I don't like that."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tnt said:

So if the defense scores and the score is 24-22, does Bubba kick the extra point and hope to get an onside kick for a touchdown too, or does he trust his offense to go for two in a situation that would be harder to convert?

Really???  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

the snap still seemed to be getting back a little slow at the end of the year but the punter definitely sped up his delivery in the last couple of games.

I agree. If the snapper isn't snapping the ball back there in 0.7 seconds... Get a new snapper. Snappers are a dime a dozen. Slow snaps have been a problem for quite a long time. If a punter is just rushing to get his punts off he will have no rythym. Rythym = good punts. No rythym = mediocre punts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, UNDBIZ said:

You're right. I'm sure Bubba pulled Rudy aside and said "you know, we have really athletic RBs. Don't throw them the ball. I don't like that."

And of course I didn't say anything like that. 

As the head coach, who worked day in and day out with the  OC that he hired  5 years ago, I am just guessing here that Rudy ran the offense the way Bubba wanted, or at least the offense they agreed to.  Or he would have thrown him under the bus after year 1, 2, 3 or 4 instead of today.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, homer said:

Really???  

 

 

Bottom line is you had to trust that same offense you had no faith in to convert in a harder circumstance on the goal line anyway, so bite the bullet and go for it, then hope for that turnover if you don't make it.  If you're counting on a turnover, it would be just as likely after the failed 4th down.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sioux_FF said:

And of course I didn't say anything like that. 

As the head coach, who worked day in and day out with the  OC that he hired  5 years ago, I am just guessing here that Rudy ran the offense the way Bubba wanted, or at least the offense they agreed to.  Or he would have thrown him under the bus after year 1, 2, 3 or 4 instead of today.   

So you agree with me that there's no way Bubba specifically told Rudy not to run screens or pass to the TEs. Good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, tnt said:

Bottom line is you had to trust that same offense you had no faith in to convert in a harder circumstance on the goal line anyway, so bite the bullet and go for it, then hope for that turnover if you don't make it.  If you're counting on a turnover, it would be just as likely after the failed 4th down.

Apparently 2 yards is longer or shorter depending on the situation. Simple math! :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...