SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

Just now, Midwestern Hawk said:

Barring total collapse and losing out, Chaves will not get rid of Bubba but should force Bubba's hand on OC and STC.

Should. I think we’ll all be watching this situation very closely to see how Chaves goes about it. Same with Brewster.

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Chaves has a short list of HC candidates as all ADs do. Not sure about assistants.

Chaves has seen what it takes to win an FCS title within the last decade.
He'd better have a list, a list with phone numbers. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And again we're facing injuries which I believe is strength and conditioning related. 

Again, we've seen the WR position group absolutely decimated over the course of 3 weeks. Coaching staff needs to look at what that position group has been doing for S&C that could be contributing. 

Bubba's a nice guy and he's fixed a lot of what was wrong with the program, but I believe he's at the "Duluth" point again. He and his staff won't take the program any further. The personnel are there; the foundations are restored; but whatever "it" is to get the program to the championship level "it" just isn't there with this staff.

Agreed

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

My wish for  Early Christmas is a new special teams coach.  Also Freund promoted to OC and QB coach.  Bring in 2 very good coaches for Special team and WR's.  

Freund is a great guy and great recruiter.  I heard less than flattering reviews of him regarding his last stint as QB coach from someone involved in the program at the time.

13 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Technically Bubba is a winner.  You are after a “national championship” coach.  Too many holes in present staff to win a national championship.

How about just consistently make the playoffs for starters ...

Bubba and his staff can't even do that. 20% (1 in 5) so far ...

15 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Technically Bubba is a winner.  You are after a “national championship” coach.  Too many holes in present staff to win a national championship.

His record as a head coach at UND is 29-26. I believe he was a .500 coach at Duluth too. 

11 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Freund is a great guy and great recruiter.  I heard less than flattering reviews of him regarding his last stint as QB coach from someone involved in the program at the time.

That was under Muss.  5 years is a long time in his young career.

28 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think this is the safest strategy. Complete overhaul is too risky for short term success. A lot of the pieces are in place. 

I agree with this.  Solid OC and specials and this team is 7-2 or even 8-1 and worrying about seeding as opposed to just getting in.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Was thinking the Bison route myself, as much as it pains me to have to beg your arch enemy for help.

Who cares which school our next HC comes out of? It would be brilliant to hire someone from a successful program who knows them from the inside out and probably knows where to find talented recruits. It would be even better considering they are our most bitter rival and we can use one of their assistants to stick it to them in the MVFC.

As I have said before, Chaves did not hire any of the current head coaches. That means Bubba, Brewster and Jones are all on unofficial "notice".

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Was thinking the Bison route myself, as much as it pains me to have to beg your arch enemy for help.

Know a former and a current player for them. When they were asked who on the staff has the chance to really move up in coaching they both stated Tyler Roehl.  Said he really gets it and really works well with the players and has the leadership mentality.  Include the fact that he’s seen firsthand what processes it takes to win championships.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

That was under Muss.  5 years is a long time in his young career.

you are correct there.  I like him and I believe the players do too.

I would be willing to give him another shot at least.   I just heard that position group at that time didn't think he added much to their development.

• UNDBIZ locked this topic