SiouxSports.com Forum

Time For Some New Blood

geaux_sioux

21 minutes ago, Tangolou said:

I guess my point is that I have never met a coach who isn't trying to win. I believe that every decision by Bubba to go for it or not is based on what HE believes is the best chance to win. The criticism should be that he lacks proper judgement not guts. Les Miles had guts and he got fired for it. It goes both ways.

Miles won a FBS national championship. Bubba's won one FCS playo...... nevermind.

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

Of the plethora of poor coaching attributes you could hang on Bubba, you continually bring up the dumbest one, why? It's so easily debunked with stats. 

4th down conversions rate.

NDSU 5/6

Alabama 4/9

UND 5/14

We aren't where we need to be as a football program because we have failed to recruit, retain and develop dominant OL,WR's and QB's. We failed to put our best weapons in positions to succeed. All of these things are on the head coach. That's why we are in this position, not because we don't GO FOR IT on fourth down...Oh and Hawaii Is 19/35. When I think of great coaches, I think of what's his name from Hawaii, screw Nick Saban, he's a pussy....

Easily debunked by stats?  -Here's a link to an analysis geared to college ball : https://blog.minitab.com/blog/the-statistics-game/going-for-it-on-4th-down-do-the-statistics-say-its-a-gamble  - Using this analysis it's not even a close call.   The bottom line is that Bubba's way to conservative approach to the game cost our team in terms of score, wins,  and moral.  

2 hours ago, homer said:

So is it the coordinator or the players?

I have gotten raked over the coals on this board in he past when i used the final few games of that season to say this offense can work.  

One could argue Izzy was on that path this season until injury. 

It’s a combo of both. 

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

It is a combo of both coaching.and players.  I’ll take great coaches executing a sound game plan which accentuates the players strengths and minimizes their weaknesses over lacking coaches with better players.

if you doubt this reasoning ask yourself which preliminary game UND would be watching this Saturday?  Watching to determine who its opponent would be on December 1st at the Alerus.  All Bubba had to do IMO, was remove Rudy after last season and bring in a good OC/QB coach. 

The Hawks are closer than we think.

We don’t have to choose one or the other. I’ll take both.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Love Wanzek and Maag but then we have a poor mans version of them about 4 times over on our roster. How does that help us win? How will that make opposing DCs stay up at night? We need more guys who can really run and are quick and can catch that are preferably around 6’.

my point was that if we had used Izzy, McKinney and Santiago (slot) for the speed guys plus Wanzek and Maag we would have been pretty good at wr this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Here's some quotes from an article about Brian Kelly rebuilding Notre Dame after a disastrous season.  I hope Bubba is just as open to change and does the same

“A lot of things had to change, including me,” Kelly said. ” … We didn’t reinvent the wheel here. Behind the scenes, we made some tweaks.”

Truth is, those “tweaks” were titanic. There were new coordinators across the board: offense, defense, special teams, strength coach. A re-examination of practice structure. Changes to offseason programs. Even the head coach’s attitude and occasionally volcanic demeanor were open to re-evaluation.

Guess what? Change can be good. Kelly didn’t just survive the bad times, he’s thrived.

Since that low point in LA on Nov. 26, 2016, Notre Dame has gone 22-3. But even from the bounce-back 10-3 record of ’17 to the breakthrough 12-0 of ’18, there were additional changes that had to be made.  Star defensive coordinator Mike Elko was swiped by Texas A&M. And the guy who was supposed to be the starting quarterback, Brandon Wimbush, needed to be replaced three games in. Saturday night, former backup Ian Book again got the job done at QB and first-year coordinator Clark Lea’s halftime defensive adjustments shut down the Trojans.  (boldface mine)

https://sports.yahoo.com/brian-kelly-reinvented-notre-dame-reclaim-national-relevance-071912337.html

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Irish said:

Here's some quotes from an article about Brian Kelly rebuilding Notre Dame after a disastrous season.  I hope Bubba is just as open to change and does the same

“A lot of things had to change, including me,” Kelly said. ” … We didn’t reinvent the wheel here. Behind the scenes, we made some tweaks.”

Truth is, those “tweaks” were titanic. There were new coordinators across the board: offense, defense, special teams, strength coach. A re-examination of practice structure. Changes to offseason programs. Even the head coach’s attitude and occasionally volcanic demeanor were open to re-evaluation.

Guess what? Change can be good. Kelly didn’t just survive the bad times, he’s thrived.

Since that low point in LA on Nov. 26, 2016, Notre Dame has gone 22-3. But even from the bounce-back 10-3 record of ’17 to the breakthrough 12-0 of ’18, there were additional changes that had to be made.  Star defensive coordinator Mike Elko was swiped by Texas A&M. And the guy who was supposed to be the starting quarterback, Brandon Wimbush, needed to be replaced three games in. Saturday night, former backup Ian Book again got the job done at QB and first-year coordinator Clark Lea’s halftime defensive adjustments shut down the Trojans. 

Please include a link to the article. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Thanks for adding that. Also, just to be clear, I wasn't doubting the quotes/info came from an article. From the forum guidelines (https://forum.siouxsports.com/guidelines/): 

Selectively quote copyrighted material within "fair use" guidelines. Also be sure to cite, and link if possible, the original source. Reward other sites for their quality material by sending them traffic (as opposed to stealing and reproducing their content).

32 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

If they bring in Greg Hardin to coach WRs the newblood forever crowd are going to lose their !@#$. 

3 years experience coaching WR's and currently on staff at D1 Robert Morris. Not unrealistic at this point...

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Heavens to Betsy, has someone figured out no matter the scheme it's still about how well your offensive line plays? 

truly amazing how lazy an OL coach can be about his own position.  Sad for the rest of the team.

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Speculation or inside knowledge?

Pretty sure it's speculation. 

Truly amazing how lazy a poster can be about his own posts.  He didn't even capitalize the first word of his sentence.  Sad for the rest of the members of this forum. 

14 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Pretty sure it's speculation. 

Truly amazing how lazy a poster can be about his own posts.  He didn't even capitalize the first word of his sentence.  Sad for the rest of the members of this forum. 

pretty sure its not

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

pretty sure its not

I guess unless you worked side by side with the guy I would have to say your information comes 2nd or 3rd hand at a minimum.   I would call that speculation based upon you making a comment without first hand knowledge of the situation.  I do know a lot of people like to speculate on this forum while acting like they have factual information.   So unless you personally worked along side or regularly witness him working for extended periods of time I would call it speculation.  Or we can just call it what it really is which is rumor or gossip.    

2 hours ago, BigGame said:

I guess unless you worked side by side with the guy I would have to say your information comes 2nd or 3rd hand at a minimum.   I would call that speculation based upon you making a comment without first hand knowledge of the situation.  I do know a lot of people like to speculate on this forum while acting like they have factual information.   So unless you personally worked along side or regularly witness him working for extended periods of time I would call it speculation.  Or we can just call it what it really is which is rumor or gossip.    

So your info is, what, 5th hand?

• UNDBIZ locked this topic